Leopard on Dell 700m for Dummies (Dual-boot with XP and shared partition)

Ziegler

60 posts in this topic

When you finish this simple guide, you will have a Dell 700m laptop running Leopard, with ability to dual-boot into Windows XP and a shared partition to share files between the operating systems.

Requirements:

-Dell 700m laptop

Windows XP installed (NOTE: if you're starting with a fresh hard drive, then install Windows XP as normal)

-Norton PartitionMagic for Windows

-Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 disc

-BACK UP YOUR COMP BEFORE STARTING. AS WITH ALL OTHER OSX86 INSTALLS, BEWARE OF POSSIBILITY OF LOSING DATA!

Instructions:

1) Norton PartitionMagic:

-resize XP partition to desired size (20GB is recommended)

-create a new partition in unused space in FAT32 format (I named it Media), leaving enough room of unused space for installation of Leopard (I used 20GB, but i think as little as 6GB will suffice)

-create new partition in remaining space in FAT32 format and name it Leopard

**At this point your hard drive should have a partition for Windows XP (NTFS format), another partition for your files/media (FAT32 format), and at least 6GB (20GB recommended) partition called Leopard for Leopard (FAT32 format)

2) Kalyway:

-make sure your comp is set to boot first from the DVD drive (if you are not sure how to do this, when Dell flash screen comes up when you turn on the laptop, press F2 for BIOS menu and change startup order accordingly)

-boot from Kalyway disc

-when prompted to press any key or hit F8, just press any key.

-sit back and relax...you will be on this screen for a few minutes, then you will see a white splash screen with a grey Apple logo for about 20-30 minutes

-when prompted for language, choose English

-at the top of the screen, click on Utilities -> Disc Utility

-highlight Leopard partition on left and click Erase tab. Make sure to choose MacOS Extended (Journaled) format and keep Leopard as the name. Click Erase.

-Quit Disc Utility

-continue through prompts, and choose Leopard partition as installation destination BUT MAKE SURE TO CLICK CUSTOMIZE AT BOTTOM OF INSTALL SUMMARY PAGE!

-in customize screen, the ONLY things that you should have checks are SSE2_System option and BOOT_efi_mbr option under Bootloaders EFI (MAKE SURE that the BOOT_efi_guid option is NOT CHECKED)

-click done -> Install

-relax...this takes a while to install

3) REBOOT

-at end of installation (yeah 30 minutes or so) laptop will reboot. KEEP THE DISC IN THE DRIVE!

-you will see that familiar white splash screen with the grey apple. Let it sit there for about 20 minutes and then you will see Leopard. Hooray!

-Go through the first-time setup and then you have Leopard running.

-Take out the Leopard disc

-Shutdown

-The next time you boot up your computer, the Darwin bootloader will start and give you a countdown. Click any key during the countdown and you will have the option of booting into XP or into Leopard.

4) HOW YOU CAN HELP

-at the present moment, ethernet works fine, but I cannot figure out how to get wireless working. I believe I have the Intel Wireless installed on my 700m. If anyone knows where to get drivers and how to install them into Leopard, I will be eternally grateful

-Darwin bootloader makes Leopard the default OS. If anyone knows an easy way of changing the default to XP, I will also be eternally grateful

-if I left anything out / made any mistakes above, please PM me and I will edit

5*) Aesthetics

-For some reason, the Kalyway version of Leopard looks rather ugly due to many pre-installed modifications and 3rd party applications. Laik created a script that I HAVE NOT TRIED YET, but you may want to take a look: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77479

GOOD LUCK!

Hey Ziegler, thanks for the guide. I don't have a Dell 700m, but I have a HP dv1175. I was wondering, when I install, it installs fine, but when it comes to the grey Apple splash screen when it loads, it freezes. Should I let it sit there for 20 minutes? Or did yours not freeze? The little spinner thing stops spinning.

Using 10.5.1 and standard display drivers; Intel 2915 wireless drivers are what's needed

which version of kalyway are you using? 10.5.1?

As far as the svn wireless driver? what are you doing for the display drivers? are you running the standard 1028x768?

Hi,Ziegler, thank u for the guide. my 700m is working as u described, only the boot order could not

set back to form HD. for some reasons, 10.5.1. disk is required during boot up, otherwise, the boot will

abort & freeze. any idea about it? SSE2 and efi-mbr was only thing I selected during installation.

Thanks.

Should work fine IF you are using the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk (note that there are other versions out there like iAtkos)

Hi,Ziegler, thank u for the guide. my 700m is working as u described, only the boot order could not

set back to form HD. for some reasons, 10.5.1. disk is required during boot up, otherwise, the boot will

abort & freeze. any idea about it? SSE2 and efi-mbr was only thing I selected during installation.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue with my resolution on another machine and resolved it with SwitchRes X. You need to know the exact size and refresh rate, if i get it working with the 700m, i will post back here with the tutorial.

Adam

Should work fine IF you are using the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk (note that there are other versions out there like iAtkos)

iAtkos r2 doesnt seem to be working for me, downloading Kalyway now. Thought i would give everyone else a heads up, spent too many hours trying to get it to run by updating the bios and running with different kernel flags.

• 2 weeks later...

which version of Leopard (# and maker) are you using? Also, did you keep the disk in the drive on first reboot?

Lastly, are you using a Dell Inspiron 700m

Ziegler -

I followed step by step and installed and loaded Leopard just fine but once I shutdown to restart it will not boot into Leopard? or Darwin.... Any ideas?

which version of Leopard (# and maker) are you using? Also, did you keep the disk in the drive on first reboot?

Lastly, are you using a Dell Inspiron 700m

Version - Leopard 10.5.1

I keep the disk in till it rebooted and I finished the setup then I took it out while Leopard was running and installed Office for Mac and then I shutdown and it wouldn't show Darwin or anything... I got it to boot again with the disk in but I have not shutdown since as I am afraid that it will not reboot!

Yes it is a Dell Inspiron 700m

• 3 weeks later...
Im new to using osx86 and i was just wondering if you had a opinion on which version of leo to use 10.5.1 or 10.5.2?

I am using a 700m with a 1.6centrino, 80gb hd, intel wireless.

Hey, I'm in the same boat as your ryyderruff. :lol: Just started researching on how to turn my 700m into a Hackintosh.

From what I've gathered, we should be installing with Kalyway 10.5.1 first, then updating afterwards to 10.5.2 if you want to. Here's a couple of good link that you might have already stumbled upon:

10.5.1 on a PC Guide (there is an updated post on 10.5.1 to 10.5.2):

http://tgrounds.blogspot.com/2008/03/osx-l...1051-on-pc.html

I have a 1.6centrino, 40GB, Intel Wireless setup...from what I know the Intel wireless will not work (bummer!) and the graphics resolution needs to be tweaked to display 1200x800. Let the research continue.

Any current 700m users want to chime in with some helpful hints? I am "researching" on finding Kalaway right now..."researching"...:D

• 3 months later...

wow! It's really happy to see so many people here to have a 700m.

I did not try 10.5.1. Just downloaded a Kalyway 10.5.2 image, then burn a DVD and then install, after 5 or 6 times trying. Finnally got it installed.

Every thing seems work, except the video @ 1024x768. The iwi2200 wireless driver is not working for me. I downloaded another one from wiki.

Oh, one more thing. How about the booting time of your 700M to see the Leopard's desktop?

It takes me 5~10 min to see the desktop. No matter boot with only battery or with AC charger....

How long will you guys take? Same thing? Or just me??

Shout down time is just normal.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh, one more thing. How about the booting time of your 700M to see the Leopard's desktop?

It takes me 5~10 min to see the desktop. No matter boot with only battery or with AC charger....

Boot times for me seem to be affected by whether I am on battery power or AC power.

It is much faster on AC power. Battery power continues to take a long time.

Shut down times are normally fast.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For those interested I just got Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on mine. For customization setup I only selected the SSE2 radiobox, and only installed kernels sleepkernel & speedstepkernel.

Sound worked right off the bat.

Still trying to get the following working:

Video - Native Res.

Networking - Wired/Wireless ( Both of which are intel for me)

I will update this post if I get them working.

<3 OSX

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar boot time. That is why I go back to Jas 10.4.8 which only take 42s to boot. How long does it take for you guys to boot? 3 mins? 5 mins? what is your bios setting? I am getting frustrated and tend to buy a real mac...

Thanks...

• 1 month later...

Ok noob here 700m, 40G HDD, 1.6 (725), 2GB RAM

Have my HDD partitioned one running XP and a FAT32 thats 10G for OS X

I am using iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 and when trying to go into darwin and typing -v my DVD drive stops spinning after awhile and it says something like disk error - cancelling all processes then reboots.

Any ideas?