Leopard on Dell 700m for Dummies (Dual-boot with XP and shared partition)

Ziegler

60 posts in this topic

Anybody? It would be really appreciated.

Hi. Fwiw, I tried the same flavor of iDeneb and couldn't get it to work on my 700M.

Got the Kalyway 10.5.1 and followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread

and the lappy does a dual boot with XP perfectly. You may want to save yourself

a headache and give it a shot.

Oh, and I did the combo updates to 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 which broke the ethernet so

I'd recommend sticking with the 10.5.1.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear but hope that helps!

I appreciate the reply DappleBook.

I tried kalyway 10.5.2 and that still did not work. Have you read anyone getting that version to work? Because I would really like not having to download a burn a third DVD.

I got some error saying bug! then a bunch of numbers with kalyway 10.5.2 as well.

Hi

I tried about 5 of them before I found this thread. kalyway 10.5.1 was the only

one I could get to work unfortunately. My 700M has almost identical specs to

yours so I know it works. You must follow the instructions at the beginning of

this thread exactly. I stopped searching when I found this thread so I can't

say I've read about anyone getting a successful install on a 700M with any other

version other than the kalyway 10.5.1. Give it a try and remember, follow instructions

exact and you should be golden.

I appreciate the reply DappleBook.

I tried kalyway 10.5.2 and that still did not work. Have you read anyone getting that version to work? Because I would really like not having to download a burn a third DVD.

I got some error saying bug! then a bunch of numbers with kalyway 10.5.2 as well.

Thanks. Will give a try. Ill come back with hopefully good news.

Are you still dual booting OSX? Any other problems besides SD reader, screen resolution, wireless?

Yes. Dual booting with Windows XP Pro. Have had a couple other

minor issues in addition to some of the ones you've mentioned - such as,

sometimes when booting into OSX after having used XP, I have

to get it to re-detect ethernet. It doesn't happen every time though.

iCal starts briefly then quits - found a work around on the net, go to info

and tick the box for rosetta.

If the laptop goes into sleep mode it freezes and I have to push the power button

and shut it off. I turned off the sleep function since I don't use it but it still seems

to drop into a sleep if unactive for a period. Boot time is much slower on battery power.

These are off the top of my head. If you read through this whole thread

you may find other things mentioned. The OSX is very usable on this

laptop and I'm pleased with it. Can live with the little annoying issues for now.

WIRELESS! I got the wireless working this morning (3-12-09). Only problem with it

is that it doesn't auto reconnect upon a reboot. (Mine has the intel bg 2200 wireless).

Reselecting the power on in the network selector (which is a new control panel included

with the drivers) brings it back up again but still requires having to

type in the WEP key each time you log back in. Other than those minor issues, I'm thrilled

with my newly configured "DappleBook" as I call it. :-)

Wireless Drivers and installation info link here: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/wiki/Installation

Butterfingarz, please re-read my post # 27 in this thread.

If you want this to work you must pay attention to the details...

I'd suggest printing out the steps in the first post to make it

easier. G'luck!

Ok tried kalyway 10.5.1 tonight and got to install about 98% then the CD drive stopped spinning and stay there until I had to force turn off it. Follow all the instructions at the beginning of this forum and the wiki pages. Also the iso does not load darwin correctly sometimes and I got it to load to the installation screen only on the third time.

Hi, I've got a laptop Fujitsu Amilo Xi 1546 with two harddisks and RAID. I created 3 partitions, one NTSC for Windows and two other in FAT 32 for shared files and for MAC. The problem is after booting the dvd and when it comes to install the MAc I have to select to the partition in Disk Utility and no partition appears except the Philips Dvd device.

Does anybody know how make the partitions appear?

Thanks

Yeah I know my disk stopped spinning a few times too. I just wiggled the mouse or hit the enter key on the keyboard. Leave the disk in the drive and try that. It won't load correctly if it's not installed fully. It does take a long time from start to finish - I'd say at least an hour. Like the tutorial says, leave the disk in the drive after it reboots. Only thing we may different in the equation is the installation disk. I found that if I burned the disk with Nero I sometimes had problems with the install. Burned the iso's with Magic Iso and zero troubles. Thought that may be worth mentioning.

If all else fails you might need to use some of the commands to boot which are discussed throughout this thread. I don't know anything about that stuff but I do know kalyway 10.5.1 works a treat with the 700M.

Ok tried kalyway 10.5.1 tonight and got to install about 98% then the CD drive stopped spinning and stay there until I had to force turn off it. Follow all the instructions at the beginning of this forum and the wiki pages. Also the iso does not load darwin correctly sometimes and I got it to load to the installation screen only on the third time.

Im typing up the post on my newly installed hackintosh. Thanks for the help of this site and the OSX86 project and also dapplebook.

Question how do I get into info to get iCal to work?

I will try the wifi as well.

Also I know I should not update to 10.5.6 but can I update programs such as iTunes, Quicktime, Airport utility. ect?

I know HFS+ can read but not write to my NTFS XP partition but should I be able to share my iTunes music? I cannot play any of my music.

Ok got music to play just need to change settings I'm sure inside itunes to share them. On playback the songs get distorted I'm guessing I need a better driver? Anyone know where I can get that?

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it going.

iCal - right click on the ical icon in the dock and

choose open in finder. From there you can right click

get info and tick rosetta.

the wifi: download and install the iwidarwin drivers

for the bg 2200. Tip: I always have to turn off then

turn on the network selector before it sees any wifi network.

Works great for me. Even printing to a wireless printer with it. :unsure:

I updated itunes, quicktime, and the airport utility via straight

downloads from the apple website. I was too chicken to use

the software update because I wasn't sure if it would break anything.

Enjoy your new dual boot system! :unsure:

Im typing up the post on my newly installed hackintosh. Thanks for the help of this site and the OSX86 project and also dapplebook.

Question how do I get into info to get iCal to work?

I will try the wifi as well.

Also I know I should not update to 10.5.6 but can I update programs such as iTunes, Quicktime, Airport utility. ect?

I know HFS+ can read but not write to my NTFS XP partition but should I be able to share my iTunes music? I cannot play any of my music.

Ok got music to play just need to change settings I'm sure inside itunes to share them. On playback the songs get distorted I'm guessing I need a better driver? Anyone know where I can get that?

Thanks for all the info.

One last question. Do you have problems playing audio? All my music plays but gets distorted sounding every 15 sec or so. I looked in the computer preferences and it says no audio drivers are installed im guessing that will fix it. Any ideas?

butterfingarz, I have no problems playing sounds/music. Went into the system preferences-hardware-sound, and found mine shows Line Out AC97 Audio (PCM). kalyway should have detected it upon installation I imagine. Maybe one of the hackintosh pro's will be able to help you? Might try checking out hackintosh.org. Another good resource for this stuff. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the info.

One last question. Do you have problems playing audio? All my music plays but gets distorted sounding every 15 sec or so. I looked in the computer preferences and it says no audio drivers are installed im guessing that will fix it. Any ideas?

Way cool, sounds like you are set now.

One thing that's broken is the X11. Tried installing Gimp, but X11

tries to open then quits and keeps repeating. Even a force quit won't

kill it. :( Currently looking for a fix or an alternative free program.

Audio sounds fine now I don't know what happened. Got wifi working thanks for the help. Only thing missing is the screen resolution but it is deffinatly livable where as XP looks like {censored} in 1280x768. Time to get some software on here. :)

Hi there

I have not tried those mods and probably won't. I'm not

bothered by the rez. Happy just to have all the important

things working on this cool hackintosh system! ;)

Please post back your findings if you attempt it though.

post-390681-1238115209_thumb.jpg

From what i read on all those posts and all the pages that it could be possible but would cost a lot and it becomes more and more unlikely it will not happen since my lappy is almost 4 years old now.

Other question is my wifi is very spotty I took you advice to turn wifi manager off then on and it does reset and work but the connection fails about 2 min after being reconnected.

Also VLC player is not working.

Hello

I am trying to work out a new guide (that I will enter into the OSx86 wiki and the HCL here...) for installing 10.5.6 on Dell Inspiron 700m.

Of the 1st post, the following seemed relevent;

Kalyway:

-in customize screen, the ONLY things that you should have checks are SSE2_System option and BOOT_efi_mbr option under Bootloaders EFI (MAKE SURE that the BOOT_efi_guid option is NOT CHECKED)

4) HOW YOU CAN HELP

-at the present moment, ethernet works fine, but I cannot figure out how to get wireless working. I believe I have the Intel Wireless installed on my 700m. If anyone knows where to get drivers and how to install them into Leopard, I will be eternally grateful

-Darwin bootloader makes Leopard the default OS. If anyone knows an easy way of changing the default to XP, I will also be eternally grateful

-if I left anything out / made any mistakes above, please PM me and I will edit

5*) Aesthetics

-For some reason, the Kalyway version of Leopard looks rather ugly due to many pre-installed modifications and 3rd party applications. Laik created a script that I HAVE NOT TRIED YET, but you may want to take a look: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77479

Please tell me what has been solved, and what is yet to be solved. Example: WiFi, Audio, Battery meter etc.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Ponarchy I would love to hear your guide for 10.5.6 when you complete it. I have tried installing iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 but was unsuccessful. I have tried about 4 different versions and kalyways 10.5.1, which is suggested in the first post, is the only one that works for me and from what I have ready possibly others too.

As for my current install only things I have noticed in the week I have had it is:

wifi works but disconnects after about 2 min

Have not found battery meter. Also starts up and performs slow booting from battery power.

Chess does not work, not that I care much.

Audio gets distorted if multitasking excessively.

Cannot see video chat even though I dont have a webcam. This may be just 10.5.1

VLC player does not work.

If there is anything I can do to help within my computer knowledge let me know.

OK got iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 to load to the installation screen but I have to clue what to check off in the customize installation window. If anyone can help that would be really great.

Also to note when booting the CD in I typed -v then it appeared that the optical drive stopped spinning but I just left it alone and did some things around the house and came back and I was at the install screen. So just let it sit there. Not sure if it helped but I also took the battery out.