Leopard 10.5.2 working, but not stable.

Burbruee

27 posts in this topic

Hello,

Last night I tried to install the Zephyroth 10.5.2 image for AMD systems and although the installation went through fine and it booted up and everything I am currently having one BIG issue with it to prevent me from enjoying it fully.

When I open up Safari and try to download something the system will crash and present me with a beautiful screen telling me to power off my computer. Same thing sometimes happen when I open up a webpage with a lot of high resolution images or software update (not every time though). Now this makes it hard to really download and/or install anything on Leopard at all such as skype, torrent clients, etc..

I've never heard of anyone with the same problem before but lets hope that there is a small chance to get this solved. As of right now I can only play around with what's included in Leopard and nothing more.

Computer:

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

Cpu: AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz (SSE3) detected as single core Unknown 2.6 GHz.

Mem: Kingmax 2 GB 800 MHz detected as 400 MHz.

Gfx: Geforce 7200GS 128 MB (working)

Audio: ALC888 (not working)

Network Marvell (working)

Hdd: WD 80 GB ATA-100 IDE

Other: I have two capture cards installed in PCI-slots, I will try to remove them and see if it helps.. tubgirl 10.4.10 worked absolutely perfectly though, but I'm willing to try anything.

I have tried different combinations when installing the system, right now testing kernel 9.1.0 instead of 9.2.0, I notice no difference though. Installed with EFI on MBR. Checked to use nForce 2/3/4/5 chipset drivers. Correct audio selected but not working. That's a minor problem right now though, the most important thing is to solve stability issues, if possible.

I have Windows Vista installed on a separate harddrive in case I need to install some kexts or something else. Then I can download them on vista and put on my SD-card and then boot up Leopard and install the kexts.

I really hope someone can help me out, thanks in advance.

Well, I've just taken out the PCI-cards and also all unneccesary USB and firewire devices that don't have to be connected such as cameras and battery chargers and card readers.

But I still have the very same problem, it crashes when downloading files over the internet. :blink:

No I didn't fix it yet. :(

I made these changes in the bios (look at screens): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689

and it seems to have gotten a little better at least, it now let me download about 15% of the skype dmg file before it crashed. :P

Well, good to know I'm not the only one with this problem at least. Hope we'll be able to solve it.

I'm getting the zephyroth 10.5.1 image right now, maybe it changes something.

let me know if zephyroth is the solution please!! i read this maybe it works (im at the work so i cant try it now, if you can tell me) use the bootflag cpus=1 and try to download something i read that here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79231

i will try this when i get home... maybe its the netrwork card (i have the same as yours) im running under 10.5.0

##UPDATE##

Leopard SEEMS to be working as of now, I was able to download transmission and have downloaded at ~200 kB/s for half an hour now, I've also downloaded AdiumX (19 MB download) and Skype (35 MB download) directly from Safari without any freezing as of yet.

Problem is.. I don't really know what I did to make it work like this.

I first tried to insert the two NIC's from the above post, but none worked out of the box, so I tried to look for kexts and found one for 10.5.0 but it didn't work. It could detect the card, but not that there was a cable connected..

So, then I tested cpus=1 with my built-in Marvell LAN, but whenever I did that, it could not recieve an IP-address. :o

Rebooted with 2 cores.. And I remember having heard somewhere that you should try to enter your DNS servers manually and so I did.. And well that's all I've really done and now it seems to be working (for now at least)

##END UPDATE#

Now, for my other problem.. Sound.

My manual says this under Audio:

Onboard Realtek ALC888 CODEC chip

Supports High Definition Audio

Supports 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 channel audio

Supports S/PDIF In/Out connection

Supports CD In connection

And during Leopard installation I selected ALCInject + ALC888 6 ports Digital but I have NO SOUND working. :P

(I had the same problem on JaS 10.4.8 release and tried to download many kexts but couldn't make it work, only on tubgirl 10.4.10 AMD Test1 it has been working out of the box)

If anyone can point me in the right correction I'd be very thankful..

well i have some news yesterday i try to boot with one core (cpus=1) and i have no problems anymore (i download Photoshop cs3 during the night), if you have problems getting the ip do that (its funny but it works):1- Shut down the PC and disconect de power cable for at least 30 sec.2- Turn on the pc again, boot into leopard with cpus=1 and you will have internet working.Wich driver did you use for the ethernet???well i have some news yesterday i try to boot with one core (cpus=1) and i have no problems anymore (i download Photoshop cs3 during the night), if you have problems getting the ip do that (its funny but it works):1- Shut down the PC and disconect de power cable for at least 30 sec.2- Turn on the pc again, boot into leopard with cpus=1 and you will have internet working.Wich driver did you use for the ethernet???

I disabled on-board LAN and did a fresh Leo install using my 3Com 3C905B-TX and everything has been working since. System have been up and running with Transmission for 6 hours now and no problems. :huh:

Even used a second partition for Time Machine, and audio is working now as well and all is great! :)

• 3 weeks later...
##UPDATE##

Leopard SEEMS to be working as of now, I was able to download transmission and have downloaded at ~200 kB/s for half an hour now, I've also downloaded AdiumX (19 MB download) and Skype (35 MB download) directly from Safari without any freezing as of yet.

Problem is.. I don't really know what I did to make it work like this.

I first tried to insert the two NIC's from the above post, but none worked out of the box, so I tried to look for kexts and found one for 10.5.0 but it didn't work. It could detect the card, but not that there was a cable connected..

So, then I tested cpus=1 with my built-in Marvell LAN, but whenever I did that, it could not recieve an IP-address. :o

Rebooted with 2 cores.. And I remember having heard somewhere that you should try to enter your DNS servers manually and so I did.. And well that's all I've really done and now it seems to be working (for now at least)

##END UPDATE#

Now, for my other problem.. Sound.

My manual says this under Audio:

Onboard Realtek ALC888 CODEC chip

Supports High Definition Audio

Supports 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 channel audio

Supports S/PDIF In/Out connection

Supports CD In connection

And during Leopard installation I selected ALCInject + ALC888 6 ports Digital but I have NO SOUND working. :(

(I had the same problem on JaS 10.4.8 release and tried to download many kexts but couldn't make it work, only on tubgirl 10.4.10 AMD Test1 it has been working out of the box)

If anyone can point me in the right correction I'd be very thankful..

Hi. Have you experienced problems with the adiumx? Since when I started using OSx86 10.5.1 Leopard with my INTEL 2 Core Duo Quad Processor I noticed that my Adiumx quits when I get back infront of the computer the next day.. I do not turn off my computer since I need to get messages from customers with my Adiumx.. I tried using Yahoo Messenger for MAC but it is not stable and cannot handle around 50 messages at the same time (from different persons).

• 2 months later...
I disabled on-board LAN and did a fresh Leo install using my 3Com 3C905B-TX and everything has been working since. System have been up and running with Transmission for 6 hours now and no problems. :)

Even used a second partition for Time Machine, and audio is working now as well and all is great! :)

Hey, I have the same mobo as you. How did you get zephy 10.5.2 to boot after isntallation? Mine gets stuck in a reboot loop. Did it work out of the box for you, and are you using EFI? Your help would be appreciated.

I know how to get your audio card working, wich is actually an 883 not 888, so you should use the package in the zephyroth DVD or find alcinject 883 somewhere. I have not tried this yet because I am using a different driver, which I am attaching below. This driver is actually for 888, and works well for my needs, but only my front audio port works. I'm including the driver I use and the alc883 driver in this post

HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zip

ALC883Audio.mpkg.zip

Hey, I have the same mobo as you. How did you get zephy 10.5.2 to boot after isntallation? Mine gets stuck in a reboot loop. Did it work out of the box for you, and are you using EFI? Your help would be appreciated.

I know how to get your audio card working, wich is actually an 883 not 888, so you should use the package in the zephyroth DVD or find alcinject 883 somewhere. I have not tried this yet because I am using a different driver, which I am attaching below. This driver is actually for 888, and works well for my needs, but only my front audio port works. I'm including the driver I use and the alc883 driver in this post

Oh ok, but in my manual it clearly states under Feature Summary and Audio: "Onboard Realtek ALC888 CODEC chip" so that't why I guessed that..

Also, if you take a look at my signature you would see that I have full audio with input working now as well. :)

Yes, the board worked out of the box for me, but I had changed a couple of settings in the BIOS Setup prior to even trying to install osx86 for the first time, maybe that's the difference? Onboard Marvell LAN needed to be disabled and I use a 3Com PCI-card instead and it works fine and also out of the box.

To be honest, I don't remember if I chose to use EFI, I believe I have tried both with and without and both solutions worked?

Oh ok, but in my manual it clearly states under Feature Summary and Audio: "Onboard Realtek ALC888 CODEC chip" so that't why I guessed that..

Also, if you take a look at my signature you would see that I have full audio with input working now as well. :blink:

Yes, the board worked out of the box for me, but I had changed a couple of settings in the BIOS Setup prior to even trying to install osx86 for the first time, maybe that's the difference? Onboard Marvell LAN needed to be disabled and I use a 3Com PCI-card instead and it works fine and also out of the box.

To be honest, I don't remember if I chose to use EFI, I believe I have tried both with and without and both solutions worked?

Hmmm, maybe we have different board revisions.

That would explain why I have a realtek883 and why I cant get EFI emulation to work.

How did you end up getting full audio support?

I would like to use my audio in, but not at the risk of making my system unstable, so if you remember how you did it, then your help would be invaluable to me.

Hmmm, maybe we have different board revisions.

That would explain why I have a realtek883 and why I cant get EFI emulation to work.

That's what I think as well.

How did you end up getting full audio support?

I would like to use my audio in, but not at the risk of making my system unstable, so if you remember how you did it, then your help would be invaluable to me.

Some package I installed for Realtek 888, I have it on my other harddrive which is not in use right now, I could check it out later tonight or during the weekend. I remember selecting one of the "6 ports + digital" options.

Oh and if it won't work it won't make your system "unstable", just without audio working, so just try selecting another option and reboot until it works.

will do, thanks!

I'll use the installer I have already for the 883.

That's what I think as well.

Some package I installed for Realtek 888, I have it on my other harddrive which is not in use right now, I could check it out later tonight or during the weekend. I remember selecting one of the "6 ports + digital" options.

Oh and if it won't work it won't make your system "unstable", just without audio working, so just try selecting another option and reboot until it works.

I disabled on-board LAN and did a fresh Leo install using my 3Com 3C905B-TX and everything has been working since. System have been up and running with Transmission for 6 hours now and no problems. :P

Even used a second partition for Time Machine, and audio is working now as well and all is great! :D

Hey, I have a very similar setup:

MB: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

CPU: AMD64 X2 5000+ (Black Edition)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3850 512mb

I also have very similar instability issues on the zephyroth 10.5.2 rev 2.0 install. I have to boot with cpus=1 for onboard ethernet to be stable. However, whenever I do anything cpu intensive (for example, unarchiving a 4GB .rar file), I get a system crash. Do you see anything like this at all?

Were all of your stability issues resolved when you used a different NIC w/ onboard ethernet disabled? Are you booting without cpus=1 now?

Thanks for your help!

Hey, I have a very similar setup:

MB: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

CPU: AMD64 X2 5000+ (Black Edition)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3850 512mb

I also have very similar instability issues on the zephyroth 10.5.2 rev 2.0 install. I have to boot with cpus=1 for onboard ethernet to be stable. However, whenever I do anything cpu intensive (for example, unarchiving a 4GB .rar file), I get a system crash. Do you see anything like this at all?

Nope, I don't get anything like that anymore.

Were all of your stability issues resolved when you used a different NIC w/ onboard ethernet disabled? Are you booting without cpus=1 now?

Thanks for your help!

That's correct, once I disabled the onboard LAN in the bios and put in another I've had no stability problems whatsoever. Yes, I don't need to pass any arguments while booting.

I'm on DFI NForce4 Ultra-D which has both SKGE and Forcedeth. When using the forcedeth extensively the computer shows the nice crash screen.. Using the skge instead gives no stability problems.

Earlier I had problems with with total freezes without even a nice screen. This was solved by running Marvin's AMD utility. Still there was one file relating to vlc that never got patched properly. I'm running Leo4allv2 and everything runs smooth except forcedeth, eyetoy, VIA SATA and audigy 4 pro (probably never gonna work)

Nope, I don't get anything like that anymore.

That's correct, once I disabled the onboard LAN in the bios and put in another I've had no stability problems whatsoever. Yes, I don't need to pass any arguments while booting.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what exactly is causing me to crash anymore. It may be a combination of cpus=1 and NIC issues; I just hope it's not a kernel issue. Hopefully it resolves itself when I buy a PCI NIC and do a fresh zephyroth install. If you can get yours working I see no reason why I can't (besides my stupidity).

What kernel are you using? ToH 9.2.0?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what exactly is causing me to crash anymore. It may be a combination of cpus=1 and NIC issues; I just hope it's not a kernel issue. Hopefully it resolves itself when I buy a PCI NIC and do a fresh zephyroth install. If you can get yours working I see no reason why I can't (besides my stupidity).

What kernel are you using? ToH 9.2.0?

Don't remember, is there an easy way to check, or do I have to boot with -v and look fast? ;)