Leopard 10.5.2 working, but not stable.

Burbruee

27 posts in this topic

Don't remember, is there an easy way to check, or do I have to boot with -v and look fast? :thumbsup_anim:

Heh, I'm not sure actually. But I just bought and installed a new NIC that ran native out of box. After disabling the onboard LAN, I did a fresh install and the first thing i tried was to unrar the same 4GB file, and it will only do it in safe mode (strange). When in normal boot, it gives me a kernal panic at around 1 GB.

Right now I'm downgrading to ToH 9.1.0 to see if that fixes it.

I believe I have fixed all of my stability issues. I had to boot with maxmem=2048 while having 4GB of memory installed.

The Zephyroth 10.5.2 installs a kernel that is not 64bit compatible and thus boots with a legacy flag invoked. This causes memory management issues that stem from not being able to address more than 4GB of memory locations (physical ram + video ram). Thus, if you tell the system you have 4GB of physical ram and yet it only knows how to get to a portion of it, some kernel panics are expected.

I should be able to boot with maxmem=3584 since my video card is 512MB, but I haven't tried this yet.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

edit: Doesn't work with 3584. I forgot about all the other little components that have flash ram and need memory addressing. Fully stable on maxmem=3072 (3GB). Also, booting in safe mode with full 4GB is stable, but I think this is b/c my graphics card isn't utilized in safe mode, and thus, os x can address the 4GB of physical memory.