5.1 Audio in Leopard - Hardware?

H4RRY

11 posts in this topic

Most 100% hardware here support only stereo. Well, that's not good enough to get 100%.

I've been searching around for 5.1 surround support since I don't want to use USB soundcard.

Going through this topic, I've listed down motherboards with onboard 5.1 support through the Audio MIDI thingy.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Gigabyte P965-DS4

Asrock 775Dual-VSTA

Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H

Asus P3-PH4C

Gigabyte P35-DS3L - maybe

Now, most of these mobos don't even boot up using vanilla kernel since they are based on P965 chipset.

P965 + ALC88X = WIN?

I seriously need a 5.1 capable system but investing in these "old" hardware without even vanilla kernel support makes it not a very good investment.

Forum user "thestevo" has developed for the 775Dual-VSTA to make it easy to install. The wiki link is here.

My question is is it good to get this board for the 5.1 but skip on future expansion. Will newer updates broke it? There's a lot of fixes in 10.5.2 AFAIK.

well the p35 Ds3l is great for hackintosh.. but i dont think there is 5.1

I have the asus p5w dh and the digital works. I just plug my stuff into digital and turn it to stereo on the reciever(i dont like music playing throw the center speaker)

i feel that even if there was 5.1 for surround.. the support would be awfull. You wouldnt be able to calibrate it or anything. I think the only way to get real 5.1 surround on a mac is to buy a thirdparty, supported device.

can you control it? or does sound just come out of all speakers? can you make 1 speaker louder? can you use dolby surround for a movie watching? can u set it to stereo mode? if you cant do these things that it isnt really 5.1

ok, first i installed the ALC888A driver with the proper config setting:

driversw2.png

once rebooted have a look at system preferences at the sound point and check if has been installed ok.

preferenciasho3.png

Then opened Utilities---audio midi configuration-----audio---open editor.

clicked on + and select the first three output lines (look that every line has two outputs, 2*3=6 (5.1),then exit.

editormidiyb7.png

Now in the main windows select agregated device and click on configure speakers:

select the three secuences and in multichannel click on 5.1 surround, and we´ll have:

61hi0.png

the only thing to do is get the proper cables to conect the outputs of the board to the amplifier, every output carry two signals for the front speakers, rears one and center and subwoofer. Then configure your amplifier with analog 5.1 surround sound input.

If we click on one speaker maybe you hear a sound or not, so configuring the speakers it will be a little confusing, just use test-error to get the proper number for each one.

salud

i have full 5.1 sound with the Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2

salud

I don't even with Skippy retards installer. I can get 3 port with digital or 6 port no digital. 6 port with Digital does not work. How did you do it?

can you control it? or does sound just come out of all speakers? can you make 1 speaker louder? can you use dolby surround for a movie watching? can u set it to stereo mode? if you cant do these things that it isnt really 5.1
hi there, mtotho. i just saw your "Perfect Hackintosh" video on youtube. nice hackintosh setup you have there.

btw, as a fellow p5w dh owner, i'd like you to know that i'm able to play a Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS Surround sound DVD movie through the SPDIF output port connected to a receiver (an oldie but goldie sony STR-DB930) using the VLC player in discreet surround, of course. i can also play mp3's with iTunes in stereo (PCM) only. the receiver automatically detect this and it doesn't need any interaction.

you do not necessarily play your mp3's or cd audio's in all 5 speakers. it is called Pro Logic in my receiver but i can choose to enable or disable it. it always play mp3's in front left & front right speakers only plus the subwoofer. the receiver just reads the information or sound it receives through the SPDIF digital input.

pls. note that you can't control an SPDIF output in Mac OS X. your sound card must have 6 or more analog output channels and your receiver must also have multi-channel analog input.

for more info about 5.1 sound in Mac OS X, visit this:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Configuring_5....put_in_Mac_OS_X

plus this youtube movie about p5w dh dlx's digital out in action:

• 3 weeks later...

To Chinasky. Where did you download the driver for the 6 ports (5.1). Will it work for the ALC883 on Kalyway Leopard? Where is the 5.1 proper driver for the ALC883? How would you know if your sound chip is digital or not btw? Thanks in advance.