(Leopard-AMD-10.5.1) on a Dimension E521

seekdestroy16

10 posts in this topic

Well I downloaded the Leopard-AMD-10.5.1 patched dvd, booted off of it just fine, tried to partition my harddrive and dual boot winxp/leopard but it would not format the harddrive when I clicked "Erase" on the partition that was formatted as either NTFS or FAT32 and it gave me an error message saying: "Volume erase failed with the error: Input/Output Error"

But when I selected my Lacie external 500gb harddrive and partitioned it, it formatted it just fine and then after the installer loading bar was done loading it gave me a grey screen with the cursor and I pressed escape but nothing... so I dont know why that happened. So I force shut down and started it up again, and it just booted into windows and didnt give me the option to boot into mac osx leopard. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!.

thanks for the quick response. So you've been able to get the install working on an external drive which OS did you use? What are some of the other specs of the computer? I'm not positive but I think our issue with the "internal" hd is that its SATA. Still trying to do a bit more research but I can't seem to find too much information here on the boards.

So far, I've tried the JaS 10.4.8, Kalyway 10.5.1, and now the newest is the 10.5.2 AMD patched. None of them seem to be working for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

I tried booting from my external and it didn't work for me. I wantsound44 have you been able to install any of the versions? I just tried patching my own 10.5.1 Kalyway with the updated AppleNForce.kext and I'm still not able to get passed the spinning apple logo. I believe the error has to do with the SATA still.

The error is "Failed to count the number of files in "System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory unknown SIGSEGV code 0"

ive tried every dvd there is .......and i cannot format my internal sata hard drive.......i am able to format my external find and succesfully install it on my external (as so leopard says)but i cannot boot off of the external....do you guys think our system would work if we got another internal hdd and made our original hdd vista and our new internal leopard....would that work...

• 3 weeks later...

DELL E521 APPEARS LIKELY TO INSTALL AND RUN LEOPARD.

Okay, I got Leopard-AMD-10.5.1 to boot to the real desktop and execute several New System screens, on an 8GB external USB stick.

Found many problems along the way, and bypassed them for the time being.

* plug-in video card, to avoid hang. Otherwise, no desktop, and hang after a while.

* write bootstrap manually, the Leopard-AMD-10.5.1 silently failed to write the bootstrap. Found /usr/standalone command in forum.

* cannot install-and-reboot onto SATA internal disk. Had to use a memory stick.

* failed to install-and-reboot onto external USB Sata enclosure -- but I didn't know the bootstrap was missing due

to a failure of the installation DVD. So an external SATA might work just as well as the memory stick.

** Could not use iATKOS ir2, it just hangs with endless Waiting For Root while booting onto DVD.

So, I saw the system boot into the first three User dialogue screens; did I want to migrate from old install; would I please press the keys next to the Shift key, to recognize the keyboard.

I think my plug-in video card is GeForce 7600. The desktop was low-resolution, and the "beachball" was about 2x too large in the low-rez screen.

I lost patience with the extremely USB stick, unwisely reset the system and corrupted the HFS+ filesystem.

Reloading now.

My system is: Dell e521, Bios dated mid-2007, 1GB memory, AMD X2 4200+ , Tiger-compatible PCI video card (maybe via Kext)

• 1 month later...