zedzed

62 posts in this topic

Celeron D.... if I understand right, there is several

model of D-series Celeron.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/celeron_D/index.htm

Some of them have "intel 64" ... which is 64 bit expansion and

"execute disable bit" and some not.

I know, that Celeron D 355 with intel 64 and execute disable bit

works well with early tiger system. I have it early myself.

Belongs Yours processor left or right column in this intel sites ?

Safe mode _maybe_ is only 32 bit ... I do not know that.

However... Leopard is 64 bit system.

===

You have complicated booting system. I respect that.

But: there is several reason, why unix systems use guid type partition table.

Not mbr. (google helps this)

Multibooting system with old type mbr, and between there new model 64 bit

unix which wait to find guid partition mapping in bootable disk... hmmm...

===

First: Processor exactly model ? Is it or is it not with 64 bit expansion ?

===

Hmmm... Maybe this works ?

-> /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

I have read somewhere, early, in Tiger times, that -legacy put system

in 32 bit state. I do not know, is it true. Try. - If i remember, hyphenation

line belongs to this.

Other possibilities:

<string>cpus=1</string> (because 1 core celeron) (and check bios too)

<string>platform=X86PC</string>

<string>platform=ACPI</string>

(bios: serial ata in ahci mode by the way)

I hope, that this helps a little.

===

Type "-F mach_kernel -v" at the boot prompt if your computer

fails to boot after messing around with this.

Thanks will try those tips...

I can confirm it is a 64bit Celeron, I think it's the 331. I purchased the system to run OSx86, couldn't afford a new mac, and it's been running 10.4.6 and 10.4.8 nicely. They were on each of my Mac partitions, I kept 2 installs so I always had a backup with all my apps and settings, and therefore could stuff around knowing a reinstall wouldn't be too painful if I stuffed up, just copy apps and settings from the other partition on first startup..

It's actually a fairly simple boot sequence, Grub loads from the linux install, it defaults to XP, I can arrow up or down to Linux or either MacOS partition. Fairly easy to set up and I'm no code monkey, anything I've done I've had my hand held by Google and Forums like this one.

I had a long weekend with no plans and would like to run iDVD (requires 10.4.9 minimum), so thought I'd try a 10.5 install.. took ages to get the install happening, eventually found I had to disable IDE entirely, thankfully I have a SATA DVD burner..

To move to a GUID partition system I'd need to get a new Hard Drive.. My Data volume is 250Gb, which is more than the sum of all the IDE Drives I have lying around. If I need to, I can purchase a new drive and try a GUID install.. I think my setup should operate similarly to yours, the only real difference in our setups being my single core processor.

Nup, didn't work..

I've (surprisingly) won an auction for a used 400Gb SATA Hard Drive.. Big enough to duplicate all my files and settings across to a GUID setup and get rid of IDE all together! That'll be my next attempt..

The "new" drive has only 8Mb Cache, my "older" and smaller (320Gb vs 400Gb) drive has 16Mb, I'm thinking the "older" 320Gb drive will be a better (faster) OS drive, and the "new" drive will be better suited to Storage. Both are SATA2 so their theoretical transfer speeds should be equivalent, but the 16Mb cache should improve the speed I think, the physical size of the clusters on a 400Gb drive will be smaller (therefore the head will see more data per second), but I think the size difference will be marginal at best.

Comments?

EDIT:

Having had a bit of a read, I think the 320 may be marginally faster, but not due to cache, more due to the number of platters...and therefore smaller physical cluster size...2x160Gb platters have smaller clusters than 3x133Gb platters, the cache may add a tiny bit of extra performance as well..

Hi!

I have an issue with sound. I don't know how to fix it!

Info first :

MB 945gnt

P P4 630

OSX 10.5.2 (ToH 10.5 than netkas guide update to 10.5.2)

sound:sigmatel. AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.2. Pclinuxos cat gives 9221 a1 dump which does not work with any of Taruga's hda patchers.

No sound at all!

But, when I install Sigmatel9220Audio.Support.pkg, repair permissions and reboot I get the sound like I used to have on Tiger. Blue port sound out. Mic works great from pink port. UPON REBOOT I GET NO SOUND AGAIN. If I install Sigmatel9220Audio.Support.pkg again then repair permissions and repair and reboot I do have sound again. And on and on... I DO NOT GET sound every other reboot after successful instalation of Sigmatel9220Audio.Support.pkg. WHAT AM I MISSING?

ThanX in advance :D

I just wander if I should add some lines to com.apple.boot. Seems like sound chip is initialized and then after second reboot is not. And then I have to install kexts again. I am kind of confused. I have never had this kind of problem.! :hysterical:

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone that's posted on this thread. I got an Intel D945Psn board with an Intel 820 @2.8GHz and 2 gb ram and have been working on getting the kalyway install to work.

Took me forever and a day to get it to finally boot in to the system. Finally used tle88's steps too get the boot up right.I have to say that I did not use the restore factory desktop setting before I did the update from 10.5.1 to KalywayIntelCombo10.5.2 but it booted the system back into leopard after 2 bootups. I also ran the kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg after it boot back in to leopard.

I am currently testing to run the apple software update to see if it kills my system.Thanks again all for helping out. don't think I would have gotten this to go until I found this thread.

Edit:

Alright.. looks like I can't run the Apple software updates... it killed my system. guess it's back to a fresh install for me. :D

interesting enough.. it crashed this time..

I followed tle88's steps this time.

installed with Kalyway DVD

actived partition

boot in to leopard.

ran restore factory

ran kalywaycomboupdate10.5.2

now stuck

Loading Darwin/x86

EFI enhanced bootloader build: ToH

Using SMBIOS table found at 0x00fe110

Using ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000fe020

Hey we are going backwards! -> , restarting timing

Hey we are going backwards! -> , restarting timing

calibation failed with 2 attempts

:)

edit..

nevermind.. rebooted 3 times and back in to leopard.. yay

edit 2

interesting enough.. it gets the same error when I shutdown and reboot or just reboot. but it always comes back after a few boots..

Alright..

so.. third install of the day.

got everything back up and running.

when I try to use Sigmatel9220Audio.Support.pkg, repair permissions and reboot. I get a screen that tells me I have to press the power button to shut down.

any thoughts....

• 9 months later...