Immediate reboot after time machine recovery [SOLVED]

supernov

10 posts in this topic

As with some of the ppl here, I tried the 10.5.2 upgrade, but messed things up a bit. So, I fired up Time Machine, copying back my original Leopard state. I re-installed EFI with the startupfiletool and the two dd commands. I fixed permissions. The machine boots up, I see the grey apple screen for a split second and the computer instantly restarts.

I think I've seen this before. Before I changed some things in my bios, but they were required to boot a Vanilla kernel and are still set. Anyone who knows about this problem?

Thanks

Did you erase your system partition before restoring? If not, try erasing it and then do restore from time machine

Nope, I didn't. However, the Leopard DVD says it erases the partition before restoring. And I wouldn't find it very logical if this is the cause.

Nico: I'll try the DVD. It does sound like problems I had a "long" time ago, but I solved them by editting things in the Bios (which didn't change ofcourse) and the restoration process should simply put all tweaked files back...

Nope, I didn't. However, the Leopard DVD says it erases the partition before restoring. And I wouldn't find it very logical if this is the cause.

Nico: I'll try the DVD. It does sound like problems I had a "long" time ago, but I solved them by editting things in the Bios (which didn't change ofcourse) and the restoration process should simply put all tweaked files back...

Well DVD trick didn't work either. I re-installed Leopard a bit careless (didn't have much time), so I installed EFI before Leopard by mistake. Produces the exact same result! Blinking cursor, nothing to be loaded. More people should have this problem, when using Time Machine, right?

Ok, after erasing the disc again, reinstalling efi etc. it worked to make the restored partition bootable again, kernel extensions are being loaded, I see EFI is present in a flash, but after that the machine immediately reboots. I'm really wondering how this can be, the restored partition should hold the correct kernel etc. right? My system worked great beforehand. Anyone who has encountered my problem? It would be of great help.

Right, I figured out the problem. The mach_kernel from my Time Machine backup, or any other Vanilla kernel causes the crash. When you put back the BrazilMac (or another patched kernel), everything fires-up again. So, question now is...why is EFI failing in this case? I assume that is the cause at least. I see EFI messages at boot, so I think it's been installed correctly.

Right, I figured out the problem. The mach_kernel from my Time Machine backup, or any other Vanilla kernel causes the crash. When you put back the BrazilMac (or another patched kernel), everything fires-up again. So, question now is...why is EFI failing in this case? I assume that is the cause at least. I see EFI messages at boot, so I think it's been installed correctly.

Could you post some steps on how you restored successfully? I have kalyway efi+mbr.

Could you post some steps on how you restored successfully? I have kalyway efi+mbr.

Here, in general, is what I do to restore...

1) Format disk. I use mbr

2) Install skeleton OS. I use iATKOSir2 os with efi bootloader selected.

3) Boot from install disk and run Disk Utility application.

4) Restore over skeleton OS without selecting erase using "restore" in Disk Utility.

This is unbelievable. I'm 99% sure I didn't change anything in the BIOS before restoring the Time Machine backup. Now, it seems one of the most important settings to fire-up a Vanilla kernel was changed!! The "Execute Disable Function" was set to disabled, while I'm sure it was enabled all the time before Time Machine (my Vanilla kernels loaded fine before). Is this possible to have been done by a program?

So, after a week of puzzling and getting to know more details about how a Hackintosh works (which is the positive side of this), always check if you "plugged in the power-cord". Check the Bios settings and see if they are still ok. I should have listened more carefully to myself on the start of this thread. :)

So, what you should do from a Tiger installation (which is how I do it);

0. Check your bios settings

1. Erase the partition to restore to, use GUID partitioning (for me that works)

2. Use fdisk -e /dev/rdiskx (x=restore partition), update, f x (x=first boot-partition on the disc), w, q

3. Unmount the restore-partition, go to the terminal and sudo -s, Install EFI 8 by using the EFI script (change the script to your partitions location)

4. bless -device /dev/rdiskXsx -setBoot verbose

5. Reboot into the partition and check if EFI was installed (com.apple.Boot.plist not found error)

6. Boot the Leopard DVD and restore your system to the restore partition.

7. Boot into the Leopard DVD again (I have to change my Master HD in the Bios to be a slave, so it doesn't fire up Leopard), fix permissions

8. Check bios settings :|

9. Fire-up the restored Leopard.

For me, this was the last thing to figure out, will a restore work...now I can safely use osx86 as my main-system for more important stuff.