Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet

575 posts in this topic

OutZider, Some additional facts: If I remove the WACF004 line in my serial kext, the serial0 ports is NOT recognized. Once I replace it, it is recognized again. TabletMagic changes my baud from 38400to 19200 when it finds the Tablet.

Tom

Well, a big ol wtf, then. It was a WACF004 by default, correct? Has your tablet worked at all in Snow Leopard? What happens in the debug tab, does the tablet stream data that TabletMagic understands?

Well, a big ol wtf, then. It was a WACF004 by default, correct? Has your tablet worked at all in Snow Leopard? What happens in the debug tab, does the tablet stream data that TabletMagic understands?

My tablet never worked in SL. It worked fine in L10.5.8. I am using TMb17d1. I tried multiple ways to edit the kext. I used your kext file, I tried Enable Digitizer in TM. I am using your Tablet Enabler kext.

No data is being streamed. It reads 0000. I killed the daemon, and set the baud to 38400, it is reset to 19200 when I hit ENABLE. If I remove WACF004 from the kext, TM does not recognize the tablet. It seems like the reverse of what the problem you were having. TM is recognizing my WACF004 as a WACF008.

Thanks everyone. I feel like a midget asking giants here but...

for WiFi, I'm having issues. I have the Atheros card (windows tells me so)

Under: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/info.plist

(btw, my install of OSX does not have a dot between IO802.11family.kext)

I have IONAMEMATCH rather than IOPCIMATCH... is this the same thing? I added the extra string to the IONAMEMATCH section instead but, alas, a no go.

Do I need to add another key called IOPCIMATCH?

Also, right now the little wifi light underneath the screen is not lit up. Does that make a difference. If it does, how do I go about turning it on (yes... the physical switch at the front of the laptop is in the "ON" position).

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

Oz, I have been working with Scott on getting my tablet to work. I have confirmed that TM mistakenly recognizes my Tablet as a WACF004 (in the Console). I believe you said you created a custom pkg. Is it possible to send me one for a 008.

Thanks,

Tom

Adding it under IONameMatch is fine, you have the right file. The light will not ever light up, and OS X ignores the hardware switch for wifi (but not bluetooth).

Alright. Everything looks good for the WiFi... except for the little issue that OSX isn't reading it. I've attached my .kext. Can someone send their IO80211Family.kext so I can compare or kextload it and see if that works?

Thanks for answering the questions. I've been showing off my "Better than an Air" and have been getting some jaw drops. Great job everyone!

post-505891-1255989264_thumb.gif

So is it a ThinkMac X61t or a BTA (Better than Air) X61t then :P ?

Well I'm eager to try out SL on my X61t.

So is the mentioned way that outZider explained in the top posting the only way ?

Finding a Mac should be no problem, but as I don't like to be dependable on that, I'd prefer another method.

So is there a new iAtkos or iPC or iDeneb out that's based on SL ? Wich distri is state of the art right now ?

Or is there by now a way to use the original SL DVD ?

Concerning the new x3100 driver for x64 mode (via Apple update ?):

Has anyone updated his X61t via Apple Updates and is x3100 working fine in x64 ? Is the kext already available ?

THX a lot for reading my stupid questions ...

After installing the aml files that grandflash posted earlier, along with FakeSMC 2 and restoring AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, I finally got the speeds back that I expect from this machine. I have been bouncing back and forth between Windows 7 on OS X -- Win7 runs fantastic on this machine, btw, but my workflow is much better in OS X. The only problem with OS X, is that when I do that change over, my video speeds slow to a crawl. QE/CI reports working, but my XBench score for UI rendering drops to 14, and changing spaces, bringing up the dock, window transitions -- they're all godawful.

Anyone run into this? If not, I may end up clearing and starting over from scratch. Maybe I can write a better howto, then. ;)

Bluetooth Dongle Issue

I recently purchased a Bluetooth dongle since my X61 does not have Bluetooth. My machine recognizes the dongle. It shows in the Networking preference panel and in task bar. Setup Bluetooth Device run but it does not discover my Logitech V470 mouse or Mighty Mouse. Also, it cannot connect to any of the devices. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Folks,

i�‚´d like to sum it up, which kexts work in 64bit Kernel Mode:

Intel LAN 64bit (newest one from the google code page)

Atheros W-LAN 64bit (from 10.6.2) w w w dot sendspace dot com slash file slash 9zpo4a

PS/2 (from Voodoo) 64bit

Speedstep 64bit

SleepEnabler 64bit

OpenHaltRestart 64bit

X3100 64bit from 10.6.2 beta, works but breaks screen brightness control :-( download from sendspace

I mod. TabletEnabler to work in 64 bit (Depenc. in Info.plist)

Lost wake from sleep in 64bit kernel mode (maybe fixed by 10.6.2)

Geekbench 64bit : 2599 Geekbench 32bit: 2250

Intel82566MM_64bit.kext.zip

TabletEnabler64.kext.zip

PState.zip

After installing the aml files that grandflash posted earlier, along with FakeSMC 2 and restoring ... The only problem with OS X, is that when I do that change over, my video speeds slow to a crawl. QE/CI reports working...

That became a SLOW Leopard?

Hi all!

I´m running SL on my X61s.

Sleep don´t works, if I try, the laptop seems to go to sleep but for wake up I have to push ON switch and the computer starts to load SL from the beggining.

Anyone have the middle button of the trackpoint working?, is very useful for scrolling up and down in web pages like in windows does???

Flash causes Safari to crash, there is solution for that?

Any solution for those.

Thanks a lot for yout time

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all!

I´m running SL on my X61s.

Sleep don´t works, if I try, the laptop seems to go to sleep but for wake up I have to push ON switch and the computer starts to load SL from the beggining.

Anyone have the middle button of the trackpoint working?, is very useful for scrolling up and down in web pages like in windows does???

Flash causes Safari to crash, there is solution for that?

Any solution for those.

Thanks a lot for yout time

There is an update for Safari to 4.0.4 (6531.21.10) that fixed my Safari / Flash crashes...

Bluetooth Dongle Issue

I recently purchased a Bluetooth dongle since my X61 does not have Bluetooth. My machine recognizes the dongle. It shows in the Networking preference panel and in task bar. Setup Bluetooth Device run but it does not discover my Logitech V470 mouse or Mighty Mouse. Also, it cannot connect to any of the devices. Any help would be appreciated.

The most compatible fully featured BT dongle is the D-Link DBT-120... it uses the same chipset that Apple uses for their internal BT modules. The Rev B2 model and up can accept firmware updates from Software Update and also wakes your system from sleep with BT mice & keyboards. This info originally came from Stellarola's blog.... there is information on the D-Link at Apple's website here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27121

(BTW, the picture on the website is of a much older blue & grey model... so if yours looks a lot different than this (mostly black with orange graphic on it) it most certainly is compatible... and it's USB2, where as the older model is (i'm pretty certain) USB1.1 (i have both)).

So far i've used it with BT headset (motorola), BT mouse (ibm)...

I have heard that apple BT silver keyboards and BT super mice have some problems waking up hackintoshes from sleep, not know if this is a problem that 10.6.2 broke...

Bluetooth Dongle Issue

grrr... just made a long reply to your post and it didn't get on the site....

Most compatible BT adapter is the D-Link DBT-120 (rev B2 and higher). it has the same chipset that Apple uses for their internal models and can accept firmware updates from Software Update and wake your system from sleep with BT mice and keyboards.

Apple has specs for it on their site and how to identify if your model is compatible, which unless you took it out of some drawer and blew the dust off, it most certainly be compatible. the picture on Apples website is blue & silver (and i believe is USB1.1) while the current version is mostly black with an orange stripe logo and is USB2.0

This info came from Stellarola's blog

Apple link to check for compatibility with their computers:

Is your version of BIOS important to do this install???

Could you please post the BIOS version of your working X61s SL here?

I have a fairly old X61s, and my bios is version 1.05; the latest version is v2.21. i have tried repeately to install SL using instructions from insanelymac website user NIXin which also links to this thread, but i've never gotten past the grey & white apple screen without a kp. i spent almost a whole week 8 - 10 hours a day working on this just to bring me up to speed on osx, but still having kp problems, so i'm wondering if the real problem may be the version of bios that i have because i have read the dsdt is so dependent on your bios code.

Can you please post the bios version of your x61s or similar here if you have a working SL install?

How compatible is the X61s with snow leopard? what is the minimum i have to do to install sl, and once i've done that install the remaining kexts with kext utility on the running machine?

chameleon of course, boot file, /extras/... modify com.apple.Boot.plist, DSDT.aml and add new smbios.plist ??

Bluetooth Dongle Issue

the most compatible BT adapter AFAIK is the D-Link DBT-120 (rev B2 and higher). it has the same chipset that Apple uses for their internal models and can accept firmware updates from Software Update, wake your system from sleep with BT mice and keyboards.

Apple has specs for it on their site and how to identify if your model is compatible, which unless you took it out of a drawer in the far corner of your basement and blew the cobwebs and dust off it, it most certainly will be compatible. the picture on Apple's website is blue & silver (and i believe is USB1.1) while the current version is mostly black with a 2 orange stripe logo, and is USB2.0

Apple link to check for compatibility with their computers:

credit for this info to Stellarola's blog

Okay, how about instead of fix for the FSB I'll ask: Is anyone running 10.5.7+ (or even SL) with a correct, 800 Mhz front side bus?

If so, could you post the details: distro, kernel, bootloader, DSDTs, and any custom kexts that you believe may be contributing to the proper speed.

Personally, I don't really care about the speed loss. But, I'm convinced that my endless:

IOHIDSystem::relativePointerEventGated: Capping VBL time to 20000000

errors

and instability with applications are related.

Much thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

About using the PCMCIA slot:

I installed chun nans device driver for pcmcia (in Extra). This kext contains a modified pci - device driver (v 2.6) and the pccard driver. It is working on a X61 Tablet. First, it broke the ability to sleep (S3). After that i entered System bios and switched from AHCI to Compatible mode (SATA Controller). After that, hdd performance is little bit slower, but the X61 is sleeping again. I bought a LogiLink eSata PCMCIA Card (2 x 150 MBit/s). It contains a Silicon Magic 3112a Chip. There is at that time not a driver for this chipset. You may use the appleviaata.kext, mod. it using the device id and product id of you SATA Card. So it works for me. I tried the driver for the Sil Magic 3132 to, this chipset is used in many ExpressCard eSATA Controllers. After deleting the JmicronATA driver and the generic apple piixata driver it worked too, its faster booting with that chip.

Alex, using a X61 Tablet with 10.6.2

Just curious to the OP-- do all of these other kexts work fine with Snow Leopard? It seems that nearly everything works fine in 10.5 (from what I've been reading), but how about 10.6? I haven't found any good threads (other than this one) regarding the X61 due to the search function failing again and again.

How is the status of SL on an X61?

About using the PCMCIA slot:

I installed chun nans device driver for pcmcia (in Extra). This kext contains a modified pci - device driver (v 2.6) and the pccard driver. It is working on a X61 Tablet. First, it broke the ability to sleep (S3). After that i entered System bios and switched from AHCI to Compatible mode (SATA Controller). After that, hdd performance is little bit slower, but the X61 is sleeping again. I bought a LogiLink eSata PCMCIA Card (2 x 150 MBit/s). It contains a Silicon Magic 3112a Chip. There is at that time not a driver for this chipset. You may use the appleviaata.kext, mod. it using the device id and product id of you SATA Card. So it works for me. I tried the driver for the Sil Magic 3132 to, this chipset is used in many ExpressCard eSATA Controllers. After deleting the JmicronATA driver and the generic apple piixata driver it worked too, its faster booting with that chip.

Alex, using a X61 Tablet with 10.6.2

Bios Versions up to 1.23 for X61t contain a bug (at least under Win) resulting in Bluescreens or system halts

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message...;thread.id=3777

(last posting from me)

There is a newer Bios Ver 1.24 out. I will test this one under Win with a PCMCIA Sata Card based on Via6421 ...

Maybe it's just Win related, maybe not...

hope to help.

PS. What about Sound ? There once was a kext for sound, mic and headphones. Is there already a X64 version for that ?

Thx

Bios Versions up to 1.23 for X61t contain a bug (at least under Win) resulting in Bluescreens or system halts

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message...;thread.id=3777

(last posting from me)

There is a newer Bios Ver 1.24 out. I will test this one under Win with a PCMCIA Sata Card based on Via6421 ...

Maybe it's just Win related, maybe not...

hope to help.

PS. What about Sound ? There once was a kext for sound, mic and headphones. Is there already a X64 version for that ?

Thx

Sound: Version 10.5.3 of AppleHDA.kext is working well. I used to modify a 10.6.2 Version of 64 bit AppleHDA, but without having mic in working.

PCMCIA: Might you test your PCMCIA Card with VIA Chip on Mac OS ? Could you test the AppleVIAATA.kext Version 0.2 ? http://darwin-ata.googlecode.com/files/App...A.kext-v0.2.zip

My PCMCIA went back to AMAZON, cause the Sil3112 Chip was recocnized, but incredible slow writing data.

Sound: Version 10.5.3 of AppleHDA.kext is working well. I used to modify a 10.6.2 Version of 64 bit AppleHDA, but without having mic in working.

PCMCIA: Might you test your PCMCIA Card with VIA Chip on Mac OS ? Could you test the AppleVIAATA.kext Version 0.2 ? http://darwin-ata.googlecode.com/files/App...A.kext-v0.2.zip

My PCMCIA went back to AMAZON, cause the Sil3112 Chip was recocnized, but incredible slow writing data.

Regarding PCMCIA tests under Mac OS:

Atm I'm having no Mac system to test this. But as the holidays are getting closer so is spare time ...

I tried Sil3112 by myself under X61t running XP. Had several Bluescreens under heavy data traffic. Card was running hot, but as several users had the same prob with different Chipsets, this had to be a differnet problem. So the conclusion is Bios releated:

See this for further infos:

http://2xod.com/articles/Lenovo%20T61%20Slow%20PCMCIA/

Send the card back as well.

But let's get back to Mac.

About Audio:

As you seem to be skilled enough :thumbsup_anim: to modify AppleHDA X64 ?:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2676&st=160

post #174 talks in detail about pin configurations, maybe that's the path to wisdom ...

Maybe priitv8 should get contacted regarding mic.

Did I get you right: Speaker and Headphone is working with you modified X64 AppleHDA ?

I´m getting slightly confused abou what works and what exactly is missing for a X61(t) to work unser SL X64 ...

Maybe outZider also finds some time to update his top posting for SL (X64).

Hanz

Regarding PCMCIA tests under Mac OS:

Atm I'm having no Mac system to test this. But as the holidays are getting closer so is spare time ...

I tried Sil3112 by myself under X61t running XP. Had several Bluescreens under heavy data traffic. Card was running hot, but as several users had the same prob with different Chipsets, this had to be a differnet problem. So the conclusion is Bios releated:

See this for further infos:

http://2xod.com/articles/Lenovo%20T61%20Slow%20PCMCIA/

Send the card back as well.

But let's get back to Mac.

About Audio:

As you seem to be skilled enough :thumbsup_anim: to modify AppleHDA X64 ?:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2676&st=160

post #174 talks in detail about pin configurations, maybe that's the path to wisdom ...

Maybe priitv8 should get contacted regarding mic.

Did I get you right: Speaker and Headphone is working with you modified X64 AppleHDA ?

I�m getting slightly confused abou what works and what exactly is missing for a X61(t) to work unser SL X64 ...

Maybe outZider also finds some time to update his top posting for SL (X64).

Hanz

Well, quite confusing. I can sent you latest AppleHDA.kext for 64bit (10.6.2 Version) in app. 6 hours, I will post it here. Speaker and Headphone works. I will check your link to.

I got all 64 bit drivers including wlan(atheros) / gmax3100 (breaks brightness) / mouse/keyboard / parallels 5 / eyetv

By the way, i bought http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1sm2/ hope that one will work.

I use a modified bios for my x61 to enable certain wlan and umts cards. Maybe there is an update to. 1.24 works?