Darwin boot loader missing after install?

h0ffman

11 posts in this topic

Hi People

I've just installed leopard onto my PC using one of the new AMD iso's. Problem I have is for some reason the Darwin boot loader is not appearing on reboot?!

The PC itself has XP already on it on a SATA drive which I disconnected for the purpose of installing Leopard. I figured I would do the os selection via the BIOS hard disk boot priority once Leopard was installed and working.

Any idea how to get the Darwin boot strap up and running?

BTW - the leopard HDD is a standard IDE drive.

Please help.

OK, this worked for me.

Boot into install DVD

Go to Utilities > Terminal

type diskutil list and find the disk containing your OSX partition (disk0,disk1 etc)

now use: fdisk -u /dev/rdiskX (replacing X with the disk number, eg disk0 disk1)

Press Y and press enter

type reboot and remove install DVD and it should work :D

Worked for me twice XD

yeah..Jonty!'s right :)

but there's a faster way since booting all DVD to access Terrminal tooks me about 7/10 mins

boot DVD in -s mode, that's single user mode

and do :

fdisk -u /dev/rdiskX where X is your Disk ID

( you can check it if you boot from the DVD and go to disk utility, select the hard drive where you installed LEO, press the INFO button on the toolbar and check your ID, probably it's rdisk0 )

after that, do

reboot.

already with the dvd in the drive, boot in -s mode, and do :

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ( again the X thing )

f 1

w

y ( if asked )

reboot

and you can remove the dvd, and everything should be ok

if you dont know what is your disk number boot the install dvd enter the terminal and type

diskutil list

check there what is leo's disk number and partition number

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ( again the X thing )

f 1

w

y ( if asked )

reboot

I've *never* had this work. Sure it will mark the partition active in the rare case where it isn't already, but the result is always the same blinking cursor. The problem is that even though the partition is active, the boot loader isn't properly bridging the boot process to the OS X code.

I have a single hard drive with one partition, so I have no risk of loss to data outside the OS X partition. With this in mind, I found a very good fix for the blinking cursor: I boot off a Windows XP CD, then I press "R" to get a recovery console. I then run FIXMBR. It threatens data loss, OH NOES! Hit Y and when it's done eject the CD and type EXIT. This has worked for me the first time every time.

I don't know if 'fdisk -u' does the same thing since I never tried it. Perhaps I shall next time!