Desktop GMA950 now works after graphics update!

dbarrett5381

48 posts in this topic

boot into the OSX install disc, or windows xp (with macdrive) and replace the new kext with the old one.

new one location:

System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Old one is attached

from terminal: sudo cp -r /xxx/AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

where xxx is wherever you put it (thumbdrive etc.).

Form xp you can click and drag it over as long as you have macdrive(see google)

Hope it helps

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip

hey skifscher i didnt really understand your directions- but i tried to replace the kext in your link with the one the one on my drive and now it throws a framebuffer.kext error on boot- is there a simple way to restore the kext? Not a huge deal b/c it was my testing drive.. I think for now I might keep 10.5.1 unless its actually worth doing the combo update only.. what do you think? I have an x600 ati card- are there any drivers for this? I couldnt find any in a search but i was curious if that would help?

You probably should have backed up all your kexts before you even ran the 10.5.2 installer, that's what i did to make sure nothing crapped out on me. If you didn't have problems with the 10.5.2 update just install 10.5.1, upgrade to 10.5.2 and don't apply the graphics update patch. ATI drivers are always shaky (linux + osx86), if you've got an onboard intel option it's going to be easier to setup. I'd poke around in the driver forum though, that's how i got my network card working.

I guess I'll stay with the artefacts-version, then. Although I don't really like the tearing in Adobe's apps (where they happen constantly because of cursor-changes), it's far better than having to live with a resolution that doesn't fit my 20"-wide display. I guess the problem really is that Apple's only supporting the mobile version of GMA950, because they've never actually _used_ the desktop version. Thought they might and wrote drivers for 10.4, but dumped them with 10.5.

I have a Dell E1505 with a GMA950 and whenever I try to install the graphic update my system restarts to a black screen. I get past the apple boot screen and I see the blue background that I normally see right before the desktop but then the display just goes black. I've left the laptop sitting on that screen for like 15 minutes (thinking it was the really long boot time other people were reporting) but it never did anything further, so I'm just sticking with 10.5.2 with no graphic update.

I have a Dell E1505 with a GMA950 and whenever I try to install the graphic update my system restarts to a black screen. I get past the apple boot screen and I see the blue background that I normally see right before the desktop but then the display just goes black. I've left the laptop sitting on that screen for like 15 minutes (thinking it was the really long boot time other people were reporting) but it never did anything further, so I'm just sticking with 10.5.2 with no graphic update.

yep, did the same thing on mine. had to attach external monitor and install a working AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext . But aside from that this shouldn't matter for Desktop users. The Dells are a different animal altogether. there is no solution for mouse tearing or sleep yet. and I don't think there ever will be, but that is just my opinion. Check out the Genius section for the Dell Inspiron threads.

yep, did the same thing on mine. had to attach external monitor and install a working AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext . But aside from that this shouldn't matter for Desktop users. The Dells are a different animal altogether. there is no solution for mouse tearing or sleep yet. and I don't think there ever will be, but that is just my opinion. Check out the Genius section for the Dell Inspiron threads.

Ah, so you have to hook up an external display. Funny thing is I decided to hook up my main comp's second monitor to my E1505 right after I got back up and running with 10.5.2. So is there any real point in doing the graphic update if you have to go back to an older version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext?

Ah, so you have to hook up an external display. Funny thing is I decided to hook up my main comp's second monitor to my E1505 right after I got back up and running with 10.5.2. So is there any real point in doing the graphic update if you have to go back to an older version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext?

no, not really for Dell Inspirons with gma950. I haven't noticed any improvements and mouse tearing is still present and sleep still doesn't work. not sure what else the graphics update does. good to have a system that is as close to the latest I guess and the update will not tell you anymore that it's available.

My Dell D820 doesn't work with this. Had to roll back the framebuffer kext.

However, graphics feels a bit snappier now, I guess due to the new GMA950 kext, although I've not done an Xbench comparison.

Still have mouse tearing. I imagine this will remain until I replace the laptop :-( shame as it was working a-okay on Tiger.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in terminal right now and basically what I got is a partition for Tiger and a partition for Leopard. I have the old kext on the root of the Tiger partition. What do I put in Terminal to copy/paste it over? In the command prompt it would be C: D: etc. but what is it in terminal?

[edit]

My tiger installation is currently broke, otherwise I'd just boot in to Tiger to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with the Graphics Update and my GMA 950. Considering that QE/CI still work it seems like maybe this is a monitor detection issue. The Graphics/Displays section of System Profiler does not show my DELL 2005FPW as it does before the update, but the GMA 950 is detected/shown with the same details before and after the update.

After I "downgraded" by reinstalling from iATKOS I tried this guide to fixing mouse tearing: http://hacker-vip.blogspot.com/2008/01/how...xing-mouse.html

It did not work (same problems as Graphics Update) and when I used SwitchResX to look at the supported resolutions it said I had a VGA/SVGA monitor installed and showed my Dell as an "Unattached" device. My Dell was recognized by SwitchResX before the "tearing fix" as were all the supported resolutions.

I tried to convince SwitchResX that the attached monitor had the right settings (entered V/H Sync rates) but nothing seemed to take (as far as being able to change resolutions. Maybe someone else can give it a try.

• 5 months later...

Not having much luck with GMA950 on a couple of boards.

I'm on 10.5.4 vanilla (via boot-132).

If you apply the old 10.4.8 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, yes, it will get you your resolution.

But weird enough on two desktop boards my USB seriously breaks.

15 seconds to unmount, will claim plugged in devices are not mountable.

Remove the old kext and it's fine again.

I tried a 10.5.1 retail frame buffer with no joy.

Was it confirmed that a 10.5.0 frame buffer works?

Still trying to hunt one down.

Wasn't considering an even older one yet as it looked like an incompatibility with the other 10.5.4 kernel modules with the 10.4.8 frame buffer.

Have read some folks using the 10.5.0 one to solve some problems but on notebooks.

Will try to dig up what versions I can of the frame buffer.

I don't have too many other releases on hand - especially for tiger at the moment.