10.5.2 went well. Leopard GRAPHIC UPDATE didn't...

bruin4life

16 posts in this topic

Check my specs below. I ran the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd. GUID and NVInject.

I used the netkas method to update to 10.5.2. Everything went ok and smoothly.

After I did that, I ran the Leopard Graphic update. It destroyed my system. Now I get like a kernel panic when the system is booting. I searched and went through various posts, but didn't really come up with anything. Any help?

Thanks... thanks in advance.

I hope this won't happen to me... Graphics Update is about to finish downloading and installing... I saw plenty of people with similarly spec'd systems as mine, with GeForce 7's (even GS models) and they seem to have no problems, so I decided to give it a go. I hope I don't regret it :S

EDIT: I am back, with Graphics Update installed with no issues whatsoever. I have to believe that your problem lies somewhere with using the Netkas method of updating to 10.5.2 instead of using Kaly's ComboUpdate. Or maybe you are not using the Darwin 9.2.0 Vanilla kernel? Just throwing some thoughts your way, see if they help out.

Worked fine for me and I have an 8800GTX 768. I currently have NVinject 1.5 (Straight from Kaly install) so at this point I'm not real sure what to do cause it's only seeing 256mb so I'm not sure if the new drivers are really being used..

Any thoughts?

Sorry that this is duped, I just responded to another post with my question, but I figured it was worth while since this was a graphic specific post..

Thanks!

-KC

After I did that, I ran the Leopard Graphic update. It destroyed my system. Now I get like a kernel panic when the system is booting. I searched and went through various posts, but didn't really come up with anything. Any help?

kind of some issue here. Kalyway combo upgrade worked and put me to 10.5.2

I run the apple graphic update and now boom.. black screen.

kind of some issue here. Kalyway combo upgrade worked and put me to 10.5.2

I run the apple graphic update and now boom.. black screen.

Yep, same here, nothing's going on. I gave it a try by waiting for 30 mins - totally nothing - BLACK!

7600GS, by the way.

What is the kernel panic saying? Does it have to do with Geforce.kext and NVDAResman.kext?

From what I skimmed in the forums:

1) If you are using the Kalyway 10.5.2 update and get the black screen, you'll need to find the kernel update as well. If you got it from "the bay", go back and do a search for it. Use "kernel" as a keyword... but i think it's in the games section. (yeah someone put it in the wrong spot)

2) The graphic update doesn't like the intel 950s... I would stay away from that update unless you have a card similar to what others with success are using.

3) People are messing themselves up because they are blindly installing things without checking if anyone with the same cards/hardware are running into problems. You are working with an unsupported/grey area system. You can't run the updates like you are getting windows updates. Just because something shows up in Software Update, it doesn't mean you should run it. Check the forums (do a search) before you actually run anything that will mess up your system. You'll save yourself a big headache.

BTW: Monday was ridiculous with everyone blasting their systems because they didn't bother to check to see if the could run the update without problems. This was the FIRST place I checked.. and I'm glad I did.

Look before you leap! Read the forums!

Terrance

From what I skimmed in the forums:

1) If you are using the Kalyway 10.5.2 update and get the black screen, you'll need to find the kernel update as well. If you got it from "the bay", go back and do a search for it. Use "kernel" as a keyword... but i think it's in the games section. (yeah someone put it in the wrong spot)

Look before you leap! Read the forums!

Terrance

The black screen and boot delay is solved with kernel update - that's ok, but I got black screen with no luck to boot in GUI after applying the Graphics Update using 7600GS that worked nice in 10.5.1.

So show me the place in the forum where I could read about this issue?

The black screen and boot delay is solved with kernel update - that's ok, but I got black screen with no luck to boot in GUI after applying the Graphics Update using 7600GS that worked nice in 10.5.1.

NVDANV40 + NVDAResman + GeForce kexts need your device ID as they have all been replaced.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87170

(Use the search function using kalyway 10.5.2 and select the 'display results as posts')

PS. I think you may have to let the computer sit for a few minutes, it may eventually come up so you can do the kernel update. But the order from that thread is basically:

1) kalyway 10.5.2 update

2) repair permissions

3) reboot

4) kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update

5) repair permissions

6) reboot

7) graphics update

Terrance

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87170

(Use the search function using kalyway 10.5.2 and select the 'display results as posts')

PS. I think you may have to let the computer sit for a few minutes, it may eventually come up so you can do the kernel update. But the order from that thread is basically:

1) kalyway 10.5.2 update

2) repair permissions

3) reboot

4) kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update

5) repair permissions

6) reboot

7) graphics update

Terrance

Let's compare with my steps:

1) Kalyway 10.5.2 update

2) Repair permissions

3) Reboot

4) Comp self rebooted, then black screen, waiting, boots in GUI - ok

5) Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update

6) Repair permissions

7) Reboot

8) Comp boots - ok

9) Graphics update

10) Repair permissions

11) Reboot

12) DEATH

i think i remember reading that the 10.5.2 kalyway kernel update would only work if you chose "Vanilla" kernel option at the time of install with the 10.5.1 kalyway installer dvd.

is this true ? or is this more specific to 680i

I could never get my leo installed choosing "Vanilla", the only way it worked for me was NOT to choose anything except "GUID Boot loader"

is this true ? or is this more specific to 680i

first: true and false. the kalyway-kernel-update is basically nothing but vanilla 9.2.0 and needs sse3! people using the patched kernel might be able to get their system running osX86 with a vanilla kernel by switching some bios settings, efi, don't know. just make sure you fullfill the requirements when trying to use the vanilla kernel (i.e. pc_efi, correct bios settings, sse3).

second: dunno either.