Clone/Ghost OSx86 system onto a new drive?

clv101

10 posts in this topic

I have OS X installed on an old-ish 200GB SATA drive. I’m using Kalyway GUID EFI. I want to move the install on to a new 500GB SATA drive. I’d like just one large 500GB partition on the new drive.

How do I do this? What software do I need to use to clone/ghost onto the new drive, make it bootable and then enlarge the partition? I guess it’s not the end of the world if I have to make a new ~300GB partition on the 500GB drive though.

Is there a simple tutorial somewhere to do this? I couldn’t find anything.

Hi.

I don't know if this will help or not but...

I just backed up an iAtkos install on MBR with Carbon Copy Cloner.

In order to make it all bootable again I had to reinstall the Darwin Bootloader off the iAtkos disk and then make it active/bootable with Gparted CD.

Kind of a round about way but it did work.

I don't know about GUID but maybe you can just redo your EFI, onto the backup drive and then make sure it's active to get it to boot?

i formattted another hard disk as guid; single partition.

then i used super duper to copy my main disk over to the new disk.

then i ran the efi_v8 script to install the 3 files on the new disk. then changed all the kernel extensions to be owned by root:wheel.

this worked, except that until a few days ago super duper was not leopard compatible. i could log in with the new disk but i couldnt open a terminal.

i repeated the process with the new leopard compatible super duper, and then the cloned copy was 100% usable.

[edit] to answer more of the OP's question, the clone is done at the file copy level, so when you are done the new disk is as big as the partition you made. so it will definitely increase the size of your partition.

boot into the install dvd, and open up disk utility.

go to the "restore" tab (or something like it) and restore from your current drive to your new drive, then enlarge the partition. You will probably have to reinstall efi, which you could do while you are booted in the dvd, using terminal.

hope that helps!

PS:

joeblough's idea should work great too.

All you need to do in order to ghost your old hd to a new hd is this:

boot from USB stick (or floppy or CD) win98 boot files and Ghost 7.5 or so,

GHOST -FNI -IA -IB (press ENTER)

IA -> do a sector copy

IB -> include boot sectors

now choose to do a disc to disc copy and wait 2hrs (that's what it takes for a 160Gb SATA-II disk, looking at this process now).

cheers

Ronald

• 1 year later...

I just did the ghost -fni -ia -ib and it booted right up from the clone afterwards. Awesome! Thanks, Ronald!

I really needed to clone/ghost the drive, because I was running out of space, though. Now I have a partition on the new drive that is exactly the same size as the old one, and lots of unused space on that drive that I can't get to. I need one larger partition for the system drive, though... the stuff I need to install needs to go on the system drive.

Disk Utility doesn't let me resize it. Any suggestions? Is there something like Partition Magic for Mac OS X?

Thanks!

I just did the ghost -fni -ia -ib and it booted right up from the clone afterwards. Awesome! Thanks, Ronald!

I really needed to clone/ghost the drive, because I was running out of space, though. Now I have a partition on the new drive that is exactly the same size as the old one, and lots of unused space on that drive that I can't get to. I need one larger partition for the system drive, though... the stuff I need to install needs to go on the system drive.

Disk Utility doesn't let me resize it. Any suggestions? Is there something like Partition Magic for Mac OS X?

Thanks!

To clone a leopard drive all I had to do was use CCC to clone it then reinstall EFI V9 onto it.

ie.

Use CCC to clone From A to B then install EFI V9 on B.