Wiring For G5 Fans

teknojunkie

55 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
The two 92 mm fans that are fixed to the back of the case. I fiddled with these for some time, but they would not fire up! All the others work though.

I got them working. It is a tricky connection .You can see the pictures @ the posting 8 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry735747

But I was reading what I wrote and pictured before and realized that I had first unplugged the wires. I use a spare couple of fans to make the connections with the wires in the original positions.

post-101875-1210328932_thumb.jpg

With the plug in this position, connectors numbered from 1 to 6 starting from the bottom , the connections are :

1 to n/a or black : RPM fan A

2 to red : 5V fan A

3 to yellow : 12V both fans

4 to black : neutral both fans

5 to n/a or black : RPM fan B

6 to red : 5V fan B

views from the Molex plug :

@ 12 V speed, which is little loud

post-101875-1210328900_thumb.jpg

@ 7 V speed, which is a little less loud

edit : strangely enough this would be in fact @7V. I found a way to get them less louder, which would be @5V. But I have not measure the voltage. I will post pictures later. (29/05/08 09.22 AM Brussels time)

post-101875-1210328841_thumb.jpg

1 to n/a or black : RPM fan A

2 to red : 5V fan A

3 to red : 12V both fans

4 to black : neutral both fans

5 to n/a or black : RPM fan B

6 to red : 5V fan B

Kinda off topic here, but it does relate to the issues of the fans used in these machines and the similar fans in the Mac Pro. Have any of you heard a MacPro under load? Thing sounds like a helicopter spooling up for take off. Why is it that Apple uses such loud inefficient fans? I mean it's not like these machines are cheap. I mean a three blade high pitch fan? Are they crazy? Have any of you using these cases thought of maybe replacing these fans with some 92 mm seven blade Silenx fluidic bearing fans painted to match the stock fans?

• 3 weeks later...
I made this Diagram for the Back G5 Fans

Please tell if there are any mistakes so I can fix it

Great amantheboy08!!! Nice and clear draw! :( Congratz. If you could specify that's the connection @ 12V, which is loud. If you would make another draw with the connection @ 7V, it would be perfect. In the meantime I found the way to connect @5V, which is very silent but really slow.

sure no problem will do. I made this Diagram for the Back G5 Fans Please tell if there are any mistakes so I can fix it

@edit diagram for 12v speed and 7v speed

post-114885-1212102766_thumb.jpg

G5 Pci and Cpu Fan Coming Soon :(

post-114885-1212102811_thumb.jpg

sure no problem will do. I made this Diagram for the Back G5 Fans Please tell if there are any mistakes so I can fix it

@edit diagram for 12v speed and 7v speed

post-114885-1212102766_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1212256285_thumb.jpg

post-114885-1212102811_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1212256270_thumb.jpg

G5 Pci and Cpu Fan Coming Soon :)

Your diagrams are correct, based on my pictures showing what I would call the "test connections" when I was trying to find the good combinations. Just one thing I used a double Molex plug from an Y cables . That's why on your dia, there are two yellows and reds on the right side of the Molex and two blacks together. Which could be confusing, it would be better to show only one of each yellow and red and two separated black as on an usual molex. Check the next picture on the right side, it should be the same on your Molex right side on the upper draw from each diagram.The left side of the next picture shows the Y double wiring .Thanks.

post-101875-1212256676_thumb.jpg

After soldering, the wires connections are different : I soldered all voltage wires from the fan to one wire, red in this case. and the RPM's and neutrals from the fans are connected separately to one neutral from the Molex.

post-101875-1212763420_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1212763433_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1212256337_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1212256353_thumb.jpg

Concerning the 5V connection, I discovered that if I connect the Voltage wires from the fans to the red from the Molex and the RPM's from the fans to the neutral from the Molex, without connecting the Fans neutrals to the neutral from the Molex, I get a very slow speed I guess must be 5V .

Neutrals fans and red : too fast to be 5V, less fast and noisy than 12V

post-101875-1212256373_thumb.jpg

RPM's from fans and red : very slow could be 5V

post-101875-1212256364_thumb.jpg

Will test with a PSU fan onto the molex and compare the speeds with the G5 fans.

Some more diagrams for the PCI Fan and the HDD Bay Fans :)

Please make sure they are correct :D , so no one screws up their fans

post-114885-1212278700_thumb.jpg

post-114885-1212278732_thumb.jpg

Your diagrams are correct, based on my pictures showing what I would call the "test connections" when I was trying to find the good combinations. Just one thing I used a double Molex plug from an Y cables . That's why on your dia, there are two yellows and reds on the right side of the Molex and two blacks together. Which could be confusing, it would be better to show only one of each yellow and red and two separated black as on an usual molex. Check the next picture on the right side, it should be the same on your Molex right side on the upper draw from each diagram.The left side of the next picture shows the Y double wiring .Thanks.

post-101875-1212256676_thumb.jpg

After soldering, the wires connections are different : I soldered all voltage wires from the fan to one wire, red in this case. and the RPM's and neutrals from the fans are connected separately to one neutral from the Molex.

Concerning the 5V connection, I discovered that if I connect the Voltage wires from the fans to the red from the Molex and the RPM's from the fans to the neutral from the Molex, without connecting the Fans neutrals to the neutral from the Molex, I get a very slow speed I guess must be 5V .

Neutrals fans and red : too fast to be 5V, less fast and noisy than 12V

RPM's from fans and red : very slow could be 5V

Will test with a PSU fan onto the molex and compare the speeds with the G5 fans.

Very nice baudouin, also coud you make a pinout for this like where each wire goes so i can make a diagram out of it thanks I tried the 21V Cools really good, but loud as hell, gonna try the 5v all we need is a 3 way switch to switch from 12v, 7v and 5v. did u try the G5 cpu fans.

Very nice baudouin, also coud you make a pinout for this like where each wire goes so i can make a diagram out of it thanks I tried the 21V Cools really good, but loud as hell, gonna try the 5v all we need is a 3 way switch to switch from 12v, 7v and 5v. did u try the G5 cpu fans.

Thanks. I am three days home from tomorrow and I will work on the pinout.

I guess you meant 12V, not really 21V ? :)

I did not try the CPU fans because I cannot use them, the way I install my Mobo inside the opening door as in the G3, G4 tower cases. But I had a look and it should be easier than the back fans.

edit: wrong assumption :

The are also 6 connections, 2 double wires, one wire from each fan, one double is for 5V to connect to the red cable from molex and one for the neutral to connect to the black from the molex. And then there are four single wires I guess also one per fan for RPM and the other for 12V to connect to the yellow cable from the molex. I have checked this after my night shift. I hoped the people from Apple have been logical, but no. The wires are connected to the Apple plug on two lines, two singles on the way up and four on the bottom line,the two double on the right side and the two single on the left side if you take the plug facing you with the small plastic thing above. It does not mean that the two above are for RPM and the four at the bottom are connected as on a molex . I explain in the next post how to. In the evening after 08.00 PM Brussels time I will take some pictures and make a pinout.

See you later alligator. :thumbsup_anim:

OK I just slept some hours and test the CPU fans. The four at the bottom are to be connected as:

the external double to 5V red cable, the internal double to the neutral black cable, the external single to 12 V yellow cable fan A and the internal single not applicable or to black cable cause is the RPM for fan A. The two upper cables are : the external single to 12V yellow cab fan B and the internal single N/A or black : RPM fan B.

These connections are of course very loudy : 12V . You reduce to 5V by connecting all voltage cables 12V and 5V to the red cable from the molex .

Pictures and pinout later on, got to sleep... -_-

Edit 06/05/08 :

Looking at this picture from you :

post-101875-1212762968_thumb.jpg

if then we use your picture for the PCI fan as the four connections at the bottom of the Apple plug in previous photo :

post-101875-1212762980_thumb.jpg

We get :

1 = 12V fan A

2 = RPM fan A

3 = Neutral

4 = 5 V both fans

and the two upper connectors from the Apple plug will be :

A = 12V fan B

B = RPM fan B

I labelled first all the wires before connecting them because the wires are short.

post-101875-1212762321_thumb.jpg

I made a provisoire connections

post-101875-1212762309_thumb.jpg

Then I attached the new connections to the molex . As 12V was really loud I connected all the voltage wires to the red cable from molex(5V)

post-101875-1212762335_thumb.jpg

You just use a molex connector watch go from right to left the 12v(red) connects to the first wire, the two grounds(the 2 middle cable), and the 5v (yellow) connects to the last one. You can make them quieter by spliting the 5v on one molex and the 12v's on one molex.

I put a Pic at the top :D

amantheboy08, concerning the colours, it is the other way around, yellow=12V and red=5V :D

i have setup the rear fans on some motherboard fan connectors, they do have rpm sensing so they do adjust by themselves.

if you would like the pinout to connector wiring diagram i will make one up for you.

-D-

• 4 months later...

amantheboy, it is quite easy : you check on the MObo manual and connect the power wires together and the neutral wires together and the RPM wires together within a two or three wires for the mobo. I have done it for the bck and upper fans from the G5 case. Will upload some pix.

• 2 months later...
amantheboy, it is quite easy : you check on the Mobo manual and connect the power wires together and the neutral wires together and the RPM wires together within a two or three wires for the mobo. I have done it for the back and upper fans from the G5 case. Will upload some pix.

hi amantheboy08, sorry I completely forgot those pix. I took three of the plug to connect the back plate fans to my Mobo.

post-101875-1229350794_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1229350806_thumb.jpg

here the yellow wire at left is RPM, the red in middle is 12v and the black at right is ground :

post-101875-1229350818_thumb.jpg

Here is one of your pix from you mobo manual as exempla gracia to illustrate my say (written words actually :unsure: )

n554566894_626007_1441.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm lifting this thread again because I am allso trying to use the standard fans in my G5 case. I've been reading everywhere but i still don't understand how I'm supposed to plug them in.

What i have on the motherboard is CPU_FAN with 4 connectors: GND, +12V, Sense, Speed Control

SYS_FAN2: GND, Speed Control, Sense, +5V

SYS_FAN1: GND, +12V, Sense

PWR_FAN: GND, +12V, Sense

If I understand everything correctly the SYS_FAN2 has all the connectors I'm gonna need? Can I just plug all the fans in to this one and expect everything to work? If so, what will controll the speed of the fans?

I bought a Zalman fancontroller when i bought my computer, is this something I could use instead?

Hope someone can help!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I'm lifting this thread again because I am allso trying to use the standard fans in my G5 case. I've been reading everywhere but i still don't understand how I'm supposed to plug them in.

What i have on the motherboard is CPU_FAN with 4 connectors: GND, +12V, Sense, Speed Control

SYS_FAN2: GND, Speed Control, Sense, +5V

SYS_FAN1: GND, +12V, Sense

PWR_FAN: GND, +12V, Sense

If I understand everything correctly the SYS_FAN2 has all the connectors I'm gonna need? Can I just plug all the fans in to this one and expect everything to work? If so, what will controll the speed of the fans?

I bought a Zalman fancontroller when i bought my computer, is this something I could use instead?

Hope someone can help!

you connect the black,Gnd together; the 12V and 5V (fan side) whith the 5V (Mobo connector side); the RPM (fan side) with the Speed Control (mobo side) the sense (mobo side) is NA.

Which kind of fan controller, the one you can manually control by turning a button ? That one yes.

Well, that would just give me a fan that runs on 5V. I was thinking that I would either want it to be controlled by the motherboard or manually with the fan controller. The fan controller is the kind with knobs that you can select the voltage for the fans.

I'm guessing the output from that is GND, 12V, RPM, so that means that I'm missing the 5V, right?