Installing Kalyway

darksanity

8 posts in this topic

Hi i have a asus g1s with vista ultimate installed...

I was wondering if macosx86 project is now at the point where we point and click ( I attempted it ages back )

Heres what i was hoping to do

Create a say 20 gig partition

boot from kalyway and install (while not destroying vista)(setting mbr)

then booting into a disk utility and resetting vista as active

then using chain 0 to boot into mac

is this possible guys? could anyone give me the details for the chain0 config? thanks!

well. it´s not that easy to get all your hardware running, but if you do, there are also easy ways to get a multiboot system with vista. if you are asking that way, maybe you want co check out easybcd... if you want to use the original kernel and so on, you may want to have a look on pc-efi and grub here in the forum.

You should be able to shrink your Vista partition if you don't already have some extra unused space on your disk. You can then create a new partition and install OS X on it and use easybcd in Vista to add an OS X entry to Vista's bootloader. On the other hand OS X's Darwin might actually be the default bootloader and may add a Vista entry (don't have vista so not sure). You can also install GRUB (linux bootloader).

But yeah generally you should be able to do what you want. But I would say always backup your data before attempting anything like this (that's what I'm doing now) as it's never guaranteed to work and you may loose everything.

ouch the losing everything part is bad

if i install osx unto a spare partition and select mbr it will make osx the active partition right? so i cant use easybcd to just add it...

i just realised i dont have a floppy drive anymore, any dieas on how to change the active partition once your done?

can macosx do it?

My specs are

# Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2.2 GHz 4MB L2 Cache 800MHz FSB,

# Santa Rosa Intel Mobile 965 PM Express Chipset + ICH8M

# 2 GB RAM 667MHz (up to 4GB supported)

# Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 256 MB onboard, 512 MB Turbo Cache DX 10 Capable HDCP support for DVI port

# 160 GB HDD Seagate Momentus 7200.2, 7200 rpm SATA 300 (upgrade from 160 GB 5400rpm)

# 15.4” WSXGA+ (1680x1050) ColorShine TFT-LCD Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology

# 8X DVD Super Multi drive with LightScribe

# Intel Integrated HD audio (Azalia), Bluetooth v2.0

# Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/b/g/n

• 1 month later...
You should be able to shrink your Vista partition if you don't already have some extra unused space on your disk. You can then create a new partition and install OS X on it and use easybcd in Vista to add an OS X entry to Vista's bootloader. On the other hand OS X's Darwin might actually be the default bootloader and may add a Vista entry (don't have vista so not sure). You can also install GRUB (linux bootloader).

But yeah generally you should be able to do what you want. But I would say always backup your data before attempting anything like this (that's what I'm doing now) as it's never guaranteed to work and you may loose everything.

He's not kidding, i forgot to backup and i lost EVERYTHING!!! It also trashed my filesystem so just getting Vista back on required a ZERO of the drive... i'll never forget to backup again.... :blink: