Modifying the Top Menu Bar

16 posts in this topic

How do I change the top menu bar of Leopard to be dark instead of light? I've succeeded at turning my dock dark with docktweak, is there a tool or method for modifying the top menu bar in any way?

I hear the black macbooks have a dark menu bar... can I get that on somehow? I really hope so, because default white is driving me craaazy. :)

Below is something I made in photoshop. The dock is real, the menu bar was inverted via ps...

2246046374_7106f9f0fc_b.jpg

By the way, I think its worth mention that the image I posted above was made in Photoshop. I made a screenshot of my actual dock, cropped it down to the lower section, then in a new image I copied the menu bar and applied inverse to it, then lightened it up just a tad so it wasn't pure black but a dark grey. Then I pasted that into the first image, voila.

Thanks for the LeoColorBar tip. I tried it but it didn't work.

My main goal is to invert the top menu bar, so text is white and the the bar is dark grey. Any more ideas?

"Any more ideas?" YES stop messing around! Faking stuff is as good as lying!

Cheater!, i think we have a cheater!

SticMAN

By the way, I think its worth mention that the image I posted above was made in Photoshop. I made a screenshot of my actual dock, cropped it down to the lower section, then in a new image I copied the menu bar and applied inverse to it, then lightened it up just a tad so it wasn't pure black but a dark grey. Then I pasted that into the first image, voila.

Thanks for the LeoColorBar tip. I tried it but it didn't work.

My main goal is to invert the top menu bar, so text is white and the the bar is dark grey. Any more ideas?

If you're using Leopard and you're getting the translucent menu bar, you can add a coloured strip to the top of your desktop wallpaper the colour you require... et viola!

I've often wondered if it's possible to mod only the menu bar (shapeshifter) with Tiger... I'd love to have a glossy black bar with default Aqua.

• 2 weeks later...

jabentley, can I get that wonderful leaves wallpaper of yours ? :angel:

How do I change the top menu bar of Leopard to be dark instead of light? I've succeeded at turning my dock dark with docktweak, is there a tool or method for modifying the top menu bar in any way?

I hear the black macbooks have a dark menu bar... can I get that on somehow? I really hope so, because default white is driving me craaazy. :blink:

Below is something I made in photoshop. The dock is real, the menu bar was inverted via ps...

2246046374_7106f9f0fc_b.jpg

as people said, you have to wait for unsanity insane apps

there is no ETA or betas available for leo right now, but it is a question of time?

lets wait, the black menu idea is great and someone will make/port a theme for leo, rly.

• 2 weeks later...

someone hurry up and make this :)

in the meantime, if you want to invert all your screen, you can do so by pressing: control + option + command + 8

that inverts the whole screen, and if you dont like it, simply press it again :) hope that helps someone..

personally i dont like it but eh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you somehow edit the SArtFile.bin in the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.Framework/Resources/SArtFile.bin, you can change the menubar. However, I have had no success. Ofcourse, before you edit the bin file, you need to decode it. To decode it search the macthemes2.net forums and wiki.

It can be done easy by modding SArtfile.bin (Menubar gradient, Menu Selection items) and Extras.rsrc (to change the Menu Text Color) the Menu extras are PDFs and have to be inverted with illustrator.