USB TCM CHiP

12 posts in this topic

quote from krazynonsense

Maybe a specially-programmed USB flash drive, could possibly serve as a workaround/substitute for the Apple TPM chip?

would this work?....wouldnt os x or darwin need usb drivers? is this a waste of time?

You can not "clone" a valid TPM. You need a valid endorsement certificate for this and this can only be produced by the TCG and Infineon.

Please read a bit some of the TCG specs.

I'm a nerd an I like to tell people off.

Geez you don't have to tell him in blank verse.

Sorry that I actually read the TCG specifications and have done some reverse engineering of an Atmel TPM.

For some reason everybody seems to think trusted computing = DRM and TCG = evil. Personally, I don't think this is the case at all.

You can not "clone" a valid TPM. You need a valid endorsement certificate for this and this can only be produced by the TCG and Infineon.

Please read a bit some of the TCG specs.

Well, that's not entirely true. Check out this website: http://www.wavesys.com/products/ktmes.html

It's quite possible to migrate the TPM keys, in case your computer were to fail, etc. So, while you can't really "clone" a TPM, you can migrate all its funtions to another TPM and copy it.

Ah, ok, thanks - I stand corrected. I had never read anything that told what keys you could and could not migrate. Do you have a website where we can read about the difference of keys?

Good documentation is difficult to find. There is a lot of {censored} on the internet regarding TC (especially the anti TCPA sites) and the TCG specifications are huge and thus extremely difficult to read.

2 good source of information are:

- The people from HP wrote a book about TCPA: "Trusted Computing Platforms - TCPA technology in context" (ISBN 0-13-009220-7)

- TCG Specification Architecture Overview: https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/downl...re_Overview.pdf