The Dvorak Keyboard Layout

Urbz

Dvorak  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you/do you use Dvorak?

• No, and I never will.
    • No, but it seems interesting.
    • Yes, I could see myself at least trying it out.
    • I am a Dvorak user!

8 posts in this topic

After hearing about the benefits of Dvorak keyboards, I looked at the downsides and realized that the pros outweigh the cons.

In fact, I'm currently typing this on my freshly re-arranged Apple keyboard, and in all honesty I don't find it all that hard to get used to.

I made the switch last night and already am typing between 8 and 12 words per minute. I also don't make many errors. Granted, this is still roughly 20% of my efficiency typing on a qwerty keyboard, but it is nice to be able to track my own progress...

So have any of you ever used the dvorak layout? Anyone use it regularly? Any success/horror stories?

Finally, would any of you ever consider learning it?

-Urbz

you can use your existing keyboard, just load up the config in the international prefpane.

It's certainly a superior typing system, there are a lot of reasons why. qwerty is actually really poor.

I tried Dvorak, and liked it, the only problem was that I figured whenever I'm going to use another computer, I will be using qwerty, why have two systems? Also the keyboard shortcuts proved a headache. I didn't want to remap all my keys, so I gave up.

Mac OS X makes it very easy to use, and no, you don't need another keyboard, you can simply switch the keys around and set the OS to Dvorak, as I have done. There are 2 options in OS X. One remaps everything, so that command + Q quits an app, and one where holding down command makes it act like a qwerty layout, thus command + ' quits an app (because ' is where a qwerty keyboard has its Q).

I seem to be typing faster and faster... I found a great site that is helping me retrain quickly. My goal is to type at 40 words per minute within a week, and I'm certainly on track! (Almost at 20 WPM!)

There are 2 options in OS X. One remaps everything, so that command + Q quits an app, and one where holding down command makes it act like a qwerty layout, thus command + ' quits an app (because ' is where a qwerty keyboard has its Q).
Wow that's sweet. The 2nd option may make me switch to Dvorak now, if I don't have to relearn all my keyboard shortcuts!

DVORAK is hard. I just switched and it is really hard to find the right keys. It is so hard to type..............................................

Unfortunately it would take more than just being a better system for me to switch. Unless there was a mass change, switching between using it at home and then to some machine elsewhere using the QWERTY layout would be frustrating and confusing.

(I'm just too old to learn new tricks :) )