Deleting entire Time Machine Backup

Kevin Sherman

7 posts in this topic

Hey all.

A long ways back when I first got Leopard, I activated Time Machine. Perhaps a neat backup solution, it sucks (IMO) for laptops. So I deactivated Time Machine and removed my External drive from the Time Machine setup.

Thing is, there is 230GB of used space on my external drive that I need freed up (never though I would run out of space on a 500GB drive, its a brave new world!). I have tried simply using the Finder, it goes through the process of deleting everything, but nothing actually gets deleted. Fun.

Then I got knowledgeable and used the Terminal, doing a little cd /Volumes/External action with a little sudo rm -rf Backup.backupdb (of course then entering my little admin password)

Immediately every file returns with a File location string and a fun little : Operation not permitted. message.

Any suggestions? I don't have the ability to copy the files I want to keep and reformat the drive, I don't have any hard drives big enough to back up too.

Thanks all...

KS

Hey all.

A long ways back when I first got Leopard, I activated Time Machine. Perhaps a neat backup solution, it sucks (IMO) for laptops. So I deactivated Time Machine and removed my External drive from the Time Machine setup.

Thing is, there is 230GB of used space on my external drive that I need freed up (never though I would run out of space on a 500GB drive, its a brave new world!). I have tried simply using the Finder, it goes through the process of deleting everything, but nothing actually gets deleted. Fun.

Then I got knowledgeable and used the Terminal, doing a little cd /Volumes/External action with a little sudo rm -rf Backup.backupdb (of course then entering my little admin password)

Immediately every file returns with a File location string and a fun little : Operation not permitted. message.

Any suggestions? I don't have the ability to copy the files I want to keep and reformat the drive, I don't have any hard drives big enough to back up too.

Thanks all...

KS

mount the external drive and use diskutils to "erase the volume"...

Hmm. Well, I am not really able to pull the files I need off the external drive. I don't have access to a hard drive of sufficient size...

then all i can suggest is to burn multiple dvd's until you have all the files you want from the time machine disk then reformat !

space is a finite resource, if your out, your out !