Latitude D610 - Working

Cuffycool

55 posts in this topic

Well, thanks to the great information rstev39147 left regarding the d600 installation, I was able to get leopard running quite well on my d600 as well.

The only differences were that I did not actually get the kernel panic as the AppleBCM575x.kext file didn't seem to be present on my hard drive. Another difference was that I was getting the "You must restart your machine" screen and it would not fully load at first... Thanks to another excellent suggestion from rstev, I disabled the internal nic and it booted just fine.. wifi works perfectly well and everything (I never have need for the regular nic on this thing anyway, so no big loss).

Thanks again for the great post and followup information rstev39147!

R.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, thanks to the great information rstev39147 left regarding the d600 installation, I was able to get leopard running quite well on my d600 as well.

The only differences were that I did not actually get the kernel panic as the AppleBCM575x.kext file didn't seem to be present on my hard drive. Another difference was that I was getting the "You must restart your machine" screen and it would not fully load at first... Thanks to another excellent suggestion from rstev, I disabled the internal nic and it booted just fine.. wifi works perfectly well and everything (I never have need for the regular nic on this thing anyway, so no big loss).

Thanks again for the great post and followup information rstev39147!

R.

What wifi card do you have? Going nuts trying to get mine to work.

I am guessing this to be the best place to ask this question... I have a D610 that I am trying to install the kalyway 10.5.1 on.

Anyways... Using this DVD, a Mac Journaled MBR formatted drive, stock laptop, and patience.. I am able to install 20% of the time. The other 80% it goes to I guess you would say.. the blue screen of death. Why does this happen? I am not changing anything during these installs. What makes it do this? I have tried many different combos and still... sometimes it hangs. Up until reading this thread, I have NOT tried the paperclip test (most likely will just attach a monitor). I am hoping with that and the other D610 guides I found, that my install will work.

I also noticed that this thread is pretty recent. AWESOME! Hope I can contribute when I get mine working.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm trying to install kalyways 10.5.1 disk on a dell latitude d610 with integrated graphics. I tried -v mode and it has no errors, but all I get is a blank blue screen and nothing else happens. I tried all the bios options and no luck. Any suggestions? How did you guys make it work? How do I do this paper clip trick?

if you don't want to do the paper clip test, just plug in a monitor.. this worked for me.. installing as i type

Ok so I tried the paperclip trick, and now I get past the blue screen and all the way to the language selection screen, but it freezes there (curser works but just spins endlessly). Does Anyone have any more ideas for me? What bios version are you using (those of you that got it working)? What bios settings? Also, if I get it to work do I need to leave the paperclip in or not? Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hiya Guys, hope you can help me out, this is my first go at this.

I have a Dell D610 and I have burnt a copy of Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd to DVD.

When I boot off this DVD I get the following message: System Config File '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

Any hints on getting past this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
Hiya Guys, hope you can help me out, this is my first go at this.

I have a Dell D610 and I have burnt a copy of Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd to DVD.

When I boot off this DVD I get the following message: System Config File '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

Any hints on getting past this?

Thanks in advance.

Ok. I have helped a lot of people with this issue. Use Ubuntu's Live CD to delete the partition and then create a new one that's FAT32. This will make the error go away and lead it straight into install. I'm fixing to get the D610 and work my way up to 10.5.4. I'll post a guide later when I get the laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

So I am a noob about to embark on his hopefully first OSX install on his D610. I have the version with the ATI x300 videocard. My question is this: Out of all the versions and different distros (JaS, Kalyway, Leo4All, Iaktos, etc), what version and distro has the best success rate?

Also, if anyone could tell me the install options/bios settings I might need, that would be great!

Cheers,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I pretty much got everything figured out with the default system hardware even Wireless LAN on the D610 with 10.5.2. I will need a new graphics card to support iMovie, but iMovie HD does let me work with it with a standard card.

I will post a guide later that goes into detail.

Just to let everyone know, the paperclip trick works best with D610 IMO. All you have to do is select SSE2 and MBR bootloader in setup and that's it. Don't select any other options or my guide, I'm posting later, will not work to get Wireless working. OK, I'm off to install Adobe Master Suite :P

I might attempt to move up to 10.5.3 and then 10.5.4, since I have successfully done it on Desktop (Compaq SR5250NX is built for Kalyway. The only thing you need to do really is install it and upgrade all the way up to 10.5.4. Using 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 Kalyway combos and after that you can just upgrade like any Mac with "Software Update". Thanks COMPAQ :hysterical:). On Laptop is more difficult.

Awesome! Can't wait for the guide.

Ok. I pretty much got everything figured out with the default system hardware even Wireless LAN on the D610 with 10.5.2. I will need a new graphics card to support iMovie, but iMovie HD does let me work with it with a standard card.

I will post a guide later that goes into detail.

Just to let everyone know, the paperclip trick works best with D610 IMO. All you have to do is select SSE2 and MBR bootloader in setup and that's it. Don't select any other options or my guide, I'm posting later, will not work to get Wireless working. OK, I'm off to install Adobe Master Suite :)

I might attempt to move up to 10.5.3 and then 10.5.4, since I have successfully done it on Desktop (Compaq SR5250NX is built for Kalyway. The only thing you need to do really is install it and upgrade all the way up to 10.5.4. Using 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 Kalyway combos and after that you can just upgrade like any Mac with "Software Update". Thanks COMPAQ :) ). On Laptop is more difficult.

Awesome! Can't wait for the guide.

I'm not going to make this guide. It's a waste of time, because nothing works completely right. I'm going to focus on my own Operating System I have in development. If you are a developer for BSD or Linux, hit me up. The more developers the better :rolleyes:

Which options did you select in Customize section of the install for D610?

So after endless hours trying to figure out why 9/10 times i could get kalyways 10.5.1 to install, i've figured it out.

This is for the Dell Latitude D610 that has the onboard intel video.

1.) download a copy of either part magic or gtparted (live eval cd)

2.) format the hdd as unformated

3.) save changes and shutdown.

4.) now you'll want to do the paper clip trick for the external vga port on the laptop.

install_3.thumbnail.jpg

"if you don't want to use the paperclip trick, you'll have to have a external monitor plugged in."

5.) Now turn on the laptop and hit f8 on dvd boot message.

6.) Now os 10 lep should boot "note if you do not have the paperclip trick or other monitor installed the system will hang on a blue screen.

7.) Using the diskutil application to format the drive.

8.) Now once your done labeling the drive and formating.

9.) Install .... System should reboot keep the DVD in the drive and don't press anything when you get the option to hit F8 etc.. just let the system time out. Then everything should be fine, and your system will boot into OS 10

the reason i wrote this how to, is so nobody else will need to waste such time on trail and error.

I was able to get Kalaway (sp?) 10.5.1 working on my D610. It won't boot with out the DVD being in and wireless isn't work. I had to make sure to choose the SSE2 check box during the install though.

I'm having the same problem. I have to put in the DVD to boot into Leo after the install. How did you fix it?

How did you solve the problem of having to put in DVD to boot?

hi cuffycool

nice to hear that some get the kalway 10.5.1 img to work on a dell d610. my first try was successfully...sorry only bootable with the dvd rom inside. i read trought the forum and find a solution for my misstake...give a another try....now, the installtion is succesfully, but it boots allways...loop

cuffycool, can you post your bios setings and the customize hints witch you selcet befor your start the installtion?

thanks a lot

raffau

How did you solve the problem of having to put in DVD to boot?

You have to install it with MBR. Sometime it works with GUID, but use MBR. When installing, select just "SSE2 and MBR bootloader". Remember, you only can select one bootloader.

I need to take the graphics card out of my nc6000 and install it into my d610 for better graphics. Everything else I have is up to par.

I have a latitude D610 I am installing using Kalyway 10.5.1. I get the install started I Flag EFI and SEE2 System and no other programs or drivers. the install starts and get about 95% complete then fails. I am using the External Monitor Port/Paper Clip trick from this post. in my BIOS I have the internal NIC turned off. ANy ideas as to how I can find what is failing on the install? I am pretty new to installing 10.5. Also how would I go about installing with MBR. Is this in the Customize Menu?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I've found a way to go from 10.4.8 to 10.4.11. Still I need a get my graphics card up to date to do anything.

For those wondering how to do it.

Get Jas 10.4.8 then Download this -> http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...pdateintel.html

Then follow these steps.

1) Open up the terminal and type "sudo -s" then "your password" then the following (line by line):

cp /mach_kernel /old

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/system.kext /

2) Keep terminal open.

3) Open disk utility and keep it open

4) Run the delta(10.4.11 Combo Update) installer (AND DO NOT RESTART---IGNORE THE INSTALLER WINDOW)

5) Open terminal and type the following:

cp /old /mach_kernel

cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/

cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/

rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

6) Open disk utility and repair permissions for your OS X partition

7) Pray and restart the system (unless you have GMA 900 or GMA 950--> read below)

8) Post pictures of your 10.4.11

NB:- The first system boot after the update might take very long and cause a couple of restarts.

=======================================================================

GMA 900/950 users: (Do these steps after finishing above steps)

900: Go to this site http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/iATi.html download the GMA900 package and install it then reboot.

950: install the support files from the 10.4.8 DVD or any other source that you have.