GF7600GS or GF8500GT ?

9 posts in this topic

I am about to change my desktop hackintosh for a newer one and one of the components is the video card.

For the same price I can get the 7600GS or the 8500GT, which is better, obviously in Mac OS X86 terms.

From that side by side comparison some might conclude that the 8500GT looks better, but the extra texture units on the 7600GS seem to make quite a difference.

You can see real world comparison of the two at tomshardware.com with the interactive VGA charts.

Here's the overall fps chart with those two cards: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_200...6&chart=318

My guess is the Geforce 7 series driver on OS X is probably much more robust than the series 8 right now also.

yeah, 8600gt is best bang-for-buck if you can pay the extra ~$40 more. If not stick with the 7600gs. I used to have one, it gave me great performance, but I had the (used-to-be) incompatible 512mb version, so I bought a 256mb 7900gs for $130 from newegg.com. I don't think they have it any more though. If they do I HIGHLY recommend it. It works perfectly with OSx86 and handles absolutely everything I can throw at it beautifully. I get ~65fps in F.E.A.R max settings when I overclock RAM, CPU, and GPU. Be forewarned, it does produce a bit of heat, and it's 9" long. pretty big. and it needs

(2 X) 4pin power or pcie power.