great deal on Bad Axe 2

11 posts in this topic

I asked once on the newegg forum, and it seems open box boards are bare-bone, meaning no accessories whatsoever. The only accessory item I need is the rear I/O panel shield, the little aluminum plate where are the back ports are located. That panel is specific to the board and you just can't replace it with something else. I don't even know where you would order one if it doesn't include one with the board.

For people who purchased open-box boards from newegg, what are the chances that the rear shield panel is included?

ordered the BX2 open box from newegg. just the board came wrapped in serran-wrap. was very disappointed because it would have been a {censored} to track down all the neccessary peripherials. sent back and bought oem. i am loving it! DO NOT BUY open box motherboards...

• 2 weeks later...

Confirming that all i got was the bare board--no cables or IO shield. Made a nice Hac, though. I'm just running w/out the IO shield for now. 4GB Ram and 2x250Gb SATA hard drives, Pioneer 111D IDE DVD burner, and everything works great.

Also, on the badaxe2, the CPU power plug (8 pin) is different from the standard one (4 pin) on PSU. So you need that adapter accessory too.

That's technically true, and I didn't notice the problem until I had everything else assembled. I took a big risk and trimmed the corners of the 4-pin plug on my power supply with a pocket knife so it would fit in the middle two rows of the 8-pin motherboard socket. It worked fine, and I've been running with no problems for quite a while now. From my research it looks like you could run into problems with CPUs that pull > 100 watts, but since I'm running a Core 2 Duo (<65W) there's no need for the extra power.