Dell XPS M1530 / Sigmatel 9228 / Mac OS X / Success

99argonaut

39 posts in this topic

i used i deneb it detects the card and gives me volume controll but there is no soun no matter what volume and i forgot to mension that the full name of my sound card is the sigmatel hd audio please give me what ever i need i.e (attatch files) and a quick guide please thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You will find the required kext above and the instructions here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=938427

To repair permissions you will have to use Disk Utilities, choose the install drive of Mac OS X and click Repair Permissions. You need to do this even if you use kextHelper.

Then go to System Preferences > Sound and check if default output is Speaker.

Then go open Audio Midi Setup from Applications> Utility and check what the default output is. That should take care of the sound.

Yes, you are right :) . I have a vostro 1400 with this sigmatel 9228 codec. AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 works but 1.20 does not. However, mic (external or internal) and internal speakers don't work with 1.16. And with 1.20, although external mic and internal speakers and headphones work, things stop working after reboot. (Sleep solution is not an option for me as I have another issue that the machine can't sleep/shutdown/reboot properly due to Nvidia graphics and Natit.kext.)

I decided to look deeper as to why. And I found that with 1.20, some ConfigData is written to initialize the device that causes trouble. See the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If you delete the ConfigData (by replacing the ascii poem in the data section under it), then the codec will work even after reboot - no sleep or other workarounds required. However, the internal speakers don't work for me without the ConfigData - because it maps the pin node for my internal speakers.

Conversely, if you want to get mic working with 1.16, edit the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change the pin mapping. With the help if the Info.plist of 1.20 version and the source code for ALSA, I could find the appropriate edits.

Note that reading the ALSA source code (alsa-driver/sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c), I could figure out that some sort of ConfigData is required for some pin remapping to make the internal speakers work.

Without any more mumbo jumbo, here is the modified kexts (made from 1.16 and then editing the Info.plist). The usual procedure to install : delete (possibly after backup) the files AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext and AppleAzalia.kext form /System/Library/Extensions) and copy the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from this archive to /System/Library/Extensions/, possibly changing permissions.

What works : All the three front jacks - headphone, line-out and mic.

What doesn't : Internal speaker and internal mic.

You rock dude !! I did this. Internal speakers, all headphone jacks are working great ... Would test Mic & chat soon and let you know ..

• 1 month later...
Yes, you are right :). I have a vostro 1400 with this sigmatel 9228 codec. AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 works but 1.20 does not. However, mic (external or internal) and internal speakers don't work with 1.16. And with 1.20, although external mic and internal speakers and headphones work, things stop working after reboot. (Sleep solution is not an option for me as I have another issue that the machine can't sleep/shutdown/reboot properly due to Nvidia graphics and Natit.kext.)

I decided to look deeper as to why. And I found that with 1.20, some ConfigData is written to initialize the device that causes trouble. See the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If you delete the ConfigData (by replacing the ascii poem in the data section under it), then the codec will work even after reboot - no sleep or other workarounds required. However, the internal speakers don't work for me without the ConfigData - because it maps the pin node for my internal speakers.

Conversely, if you want to get mic working with 1.16, edit the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change the pin mapping. With the help if the Info.plist of 1.20 version and the source code for ALSA, I could find the appropriate edits.

Note that reading the ALSA source code (alsa-driver/sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c), I could figure out that some sort of ConfigData is required for some pin remapping to make the internal speakers work.

Without any more mumbo jumbo, here is the modified kexts (made from 1.16 and then editing the Info.plist). The usual procedure to install : delete (possibly after backup) the files AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext and AppleAzalia.kext form /System/Library/Extensions) and copy the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from this archive to /System/Library/Extensions/, possibly changing permissions.

is there any way i could get this codec dump from you?

For anyone that want Legacy AppleHDA on M1530 or M1330 try these kexts: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1017558

You need to put back 10.5.6 (or your version) back and use these kexts along.

They have Speakers, 3 jacks working (Auto switch Headphones), only internal Mic is not working.

• 1 month later...

macgirl,

Would it not be fair to say sometime in the near future there will be a kext for the Dell XPS M1530 just from its massive popularity?

I waited almost over a year for a wired ethernet driver (kext) for both my Dell D820 and D830 and it happened and they both work 100% now.

I would at least expect that of the M1530 and M1330 just from its popularity compared to the D820 and D830.

• 1 month later...
Computer Type: Laptop Dell XPS M1530

Sound Card Vendor: Sigmatel

Sound Card Model: 9228

Vendor Id: 0x83847616

Working: Onboard Speakers / Headphones / Volume control on the laptop

Did not test microphone input

Patcher Version used: 1.16 (1.20 did not work)

System Version: Mac OS X Leopard 10.1.5

It was a painful exersize testing all the combinations. None of the existing Sigmatel STAC9228 codes posted seem to work with my new M1530. As a result I ended up making a dump of the systems codec using linux (see other threads on this forum on how to). Patch attempts with v1.20 of AppleHDA did not work but thanks to all the postings here I did see some success with other XPS laptops using older versions. v1.16 did the trick for me and surprisingly enough most things seem to work pretty well . Now if I can just figure out to get some bloody ethernet and wireless going on this thing I can stop using Vista ;-)

Thanks for the tip, it's now working for me as well. There's also working ethernet drivers now,

check out http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155935 As for wireless, you may be waiting a while, or just shell out $20 for a DW 1390 b/g card, that seemed pretty reasonable to me.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, you are right :unsure: . I have a vostro 1400 with this sigmatel 9228 codec. AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 works but 1.20 does not. However, mic (external or internal) and internal speakers don't work with 1.16. And with 1.20, although external mic and internal speakers and headphones work, things stop working after reboot. (Sleep solution is not an option for me as I have another issue that the machine can't sleep/shutdown/reboot properly due to Nvidia graphics and Natit.kext.)

Hey!

Did you get the internal speakers of your Vostro 1400 to work? This is one of the last thing, which doesn't work for me. Thanks for your help!!

• 7 months later...
Computer Type: Laptop Dell XPS M1530

Sound Card Vendor: Sigmatel

Sound Card Model: 9228

Vendor Id: 0x83847616

Working: Onboard Speakers / Headphones / Volume control on the laptop

Did not test microphone input

Patcher Version used: 1.16 (1.20 did not work)

System Version: Mac OS X Leopard 10.1.5

It was a painful exersize testing all the combinations. None of the existing Sigmatel STAC9228 codes posted seem to work with my new M1530. As a result I ended up making a dump of the systems codec using linux (see other threads on this forum on how to). Patch attempts with v1.20 of AppleHDA did not work but thanks to all the postings here I did see some success with other XPS laptops using older versions. v1.16 did the trick for me and surprisingly enough most things seem to work pretty well . Now if I can just figure out to get some bloody ethernet and wireless going on this thing I can stop using Vista ;-)

How does all of this work? Can someone please fill me in.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a dell latitude D610 Laptop. The dell website says that the Sound Card Vendor is Sigmatel and the Sound Card Model is 9750. Can someone help me get the right Kewt file. Or explain to me on how it is made. I made a thread asking for help but got 0 replies.