Building for Leopard

25 posts in this topic

Well I've been looking around at some threads in this section and come up with the following. I am looking for 100% compatability with Leopard. I dont want to be upgrading parts to soon just to keep up but um planning on "trading" my 360 for a PS3 so im not worried about gaming with newer games.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-p35c-ds3r --- Good for compatability, right?

$149

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz

$189.99

Video Card: XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express --- Or would it be worth another 100 to get something better?

$87.99

RAM: 2 GB --- worth going for 4GB for another $50?

$50-60 i imagine

DVD Burner: Doesent really matter, wont be burning much. Something cheap. Long as its compatible

$20-30

Case and PSU: So many choices and im so clueless. I guess a combo would be nice.

$70-80 for both? No more than a $100 I hope.

Monitor: SAMSUNG 920WM 19' black --- I need DVI for PS3.

$199

Totall: $795

Any changes i should make? Also what version of Leopard(iATKOS etc...) would be best? Keep in mind it will be my first hackintosh.

Asrock Conroe

Pentium Dual Core 2.0 Ghz

PNY 7300GT

These three components are very compatible with Leopard and are much cheaper. Everything else is good if that is what you want to get, but unless you are going to do some major video and photo editing then I would use those three items instead of the ones you picked. The Pentium Dual Core will show up as a Core 2 Duo in your "about this Mac". You can also use the Vanilla kernel with the Pentium Dual Core. This is not the same as the Pentium D that came out in 2005, it is build on the same architecture as the Core 2 Duo

It doesn't come out to $800, you have to send in rebates for it to get that low, and we all know how that is.....not good! The three products that I mention will get him on his way for a lot cheaper, and work just as well if not better. On the motherboard all you have to do is patch sound, and you don't really have to do that if you get a usb audio stick from ebay, but hey this is just my two cents....

The life hacker link looks good, given that I dont have much experience in this, and, my dad wants to put some parental software on it but he'll be leaving soon after i buy the components and get it working, so i cant risk spending time getting it to work.

If I do get the $800 build i migh cut on some components.

Also another question I have in regard to the DVI input screen and the PS3's HDMI output: What sort of HDMI to DVI connector should i buy? Im not familiar with this. female? DVI-I? what?

EDIT: If you click the wish list link on the life hacker page it come out to $682. Yay, though of course it means that the prices are lower but also more behind the times...

EDIT2, Well it doesent include the hard drive on the list so i Guess that would explain it.

The Gigabyte GA-P35 boards are great for compatibility from what I've read, but unless you want DDR3 (and only space for 4 gigs of it to boot) the GA-P35-DS3R is essentially the same board for a great deal less. Then of couse the hardware raid functions won't work in OS X so you may as well go on down to the GA-P35-DS3L. For only $90 in can hardly be beat.

As for the DVI stuff: DVI-I is DVI with pins for both analog (essentially vga on a fancy cable) and digital, while DVI-D is digital only. For a digital output (PS3 / computer / anything I can think of with a DVI port) either DVI-I or DVI-D will do. DVI and HDMI ports are female on both displays and sources, so you want a cable with both male ends, DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. I highly recommend monoprice.com for this. Try this one for $5:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

I've bought a lot of cables from them and have been very happy with their service and their products, as well as their prices.

Sounds like you have a nice system picked out, but it looks like the video card you chose is no longer availible. Here is another 7600GT for less:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130062

Thanks, man.

Your welcome.

Also, the screen im planning on buying for the PS3 has no built in speakers, and the only other way i can think of getting sound is to use the PS3s optical cable, but im not going to buy anything expensive.

You won't get audio over DVI anyway. HDMI is DVI plus HD audio, so you lose the audio with the adaptor cable. Monoprice has great deals on optical audio cables as well, or you could just use the normal av cables for audio, depending upon what you are connecting them to. If you aren't using surround sound there isn't much use for digital audio connections.

Do you think the ps3 would let me do that though? Use the AV cable for audio and the HDMI for video? Ide connect the AV cable to a standard TV near the monitor.

Okay, just looked around and someone on a speaker review says you can change the audio output to AV. =)

Also, as for leopard, if i get a version of it meant for hackintoshes do i need to put patches when i burn it to a DVD or anything? Im thinking of using all the components listed by lifehacker except get a Radeon HD 2600 as long as its compatible with the motherboard.

A disc meant for a hackintosh should already be patched. If there are anymore patches you need for your hardware you should be able to add them post install.

I would not get the mobo from the life hacker article. It is the old 975 chipset which can't support the new 45nm chips if you ever want to upgrade, and unless you need the wifi (does OS X even support it?) it is a little too expensive, (way too expensive if you don't use both PCI Express x16 slots). IMHO the GA-P35-DS3L is your best bet, but I said that already.

Heres what it looks like i'll get.

Monitor: DELL SP2208WFP-$250

Motheboard: GA-P35-DS3L-$95

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz-$200

Card: SAPPHIRE 100218L Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card-$120

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory-$80

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG SH-S203B-$32

Case/Power Supply: Antec Sonata III-$130

Wifi: ASUS WL-138g-$20

Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL-$130

These prices are all with my guesstemated tax. It comes out to about $1057 with the screen which is about $100 less then what I was guessing a couple of days ago. If anyone knows of a better case and power supply to get that would be nice, Im not a fan of how this one looks(the case).

Case/Power Supply: Antec Sonata III-$130

Amazon appears to be selling this for $120 plus a $40 in box mail-in rebate, which would bring your total to $80 for the case and PSU. I think you have to order the case by this friday for it to work, however.

This would be the best performing system for the price. You would overclock the CPU to 4.0ghz (minimum) and about 4.2ghz max on air. Everything on the premium works with kalyway other than the wifi which the asus would provide. I've built several systems and this is by far the best performing combo right now for the price.

p5k premium - open box newegg - 139

E8400 - 189

4gb ram - 50-70 (after rebate)

sonata3 case and power - 100 (or 50 after rebate)

7600GT or 8600GT (with 10.5.2) - 80

asus wifi - 20

samsung dvd - 35

hard drive (whatever works) 100

total - 675-750$

Im a kid, so every dollar counts. If I had a steady income and whatnot I might buy an Apple, but Ill learn something from this, without supporting Apples overpriced machines. I mean if they let me legally put OS X on a PC, it would be fine to charge extra for great looks and good design, but right now its the only option for most people.

Im planning on getting this case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1858

Im a kid, so every dollar counts. If I had a steady income and whatnot I might buy an Apple, but Ill learn something from this, without supporting Apples overpriced machines. I mean if they let me legally put OS X on a PC, it would be fine to charge extra for great looks and good design, but right now its the only option for most people.
Blah, blah. One excuse after another. Seriously, instead of spending all of you money now, just wait and save up until you have enough for a real Mac. You obviously already have a computer that works, so why not just wait and save?

My dad wants to put some content filtering on it before he goes off for a while, so I cant wait too long.

Also, unless I save up alotmore for a Mac pro Ide have to get the Mini which is limited in ports and upgradability. Same to some extent with the Imac. Cant just pop whatever you want in there.

My dad wants to put some content filtering on it before he goes off for a while, so I cant wait too long.

Also, unless I save up alotmore for a Mac pro Ide have to get the Mini which is limited in ports and upgradability. Same to some extent with the Imac. Cant just pop whatever you want in there.

Why do you care about upgradability? The whole point of a Mac is simplicity: you buy it, it works out of the box, and it's still chugging away years later. Just get a Mac Mini and make your life easy.

I care about upgradability because Im not going to dish out more money for less computer instead of just upgrading the parts that are falling behind.

The only possible downside I can see to building this computer is driver problems and such. You guys are acting as if Im one of the people who already has enough money to buy a good Mac.

And plenty of people use Leopard but not because they can use it right out of the box. The Mac OS has alot more than that to offer.

Monitor: SAMSUNG 920WM 19' black --- I need DVI for PS3.

$199

Any changes i should make? Also what version of Leopard(iATKOS etc...) would be best? Keep in mind it will be my first hackintosh.

If you want to hook your PS3 up to a monitor via HDMI -> DVI the monitor HAS TO BE HDCP compliant. This monitor won't due since it isn't HDCP compliant. PS3 will only output a blank screen to non-HDCP compliant monitors.