'EU launches new Microsoft anti-competition investigations'

apowerr

6 posts in this topic

Source

The first will look at whether Microsoft unfairly ties its Explorer internet browser to its Windows operating system.

In a parallel probe, the Commission will look at the interoperability of Microsoft software with rival products.

I really don't see the point in these lawsuits. With Vista and XP SP2, its quite easy to assign every single IE function to another web browser. How is that unfair?

OMFG FACISM

The only reason they bother is because tons of people use IE, and because it's both produced by and distributed by MS, they figure what better way to garner attention by attacking the big fish. While here's Apple, with.. what's this? AN INTEGRATED WEB BROWSER NAMED SAFARI THAT IS PRODUCED AND DISTRIBUTED BY APPLE?! THIS CAN'T BE! Guess we should ignore that bout of hypocrisy, aye?

Or how about Konqueror from KDE? Guess we should put that off to the side, even though it's basically the same thing as IE and MS...

/sigh

EU has a different law system than the US. I guess they have their reasons.

However, they reach absurdity sometimes like they did with the WMP part (you know, Windows XP N edition - no WMP at all, exclusive for EU countries, however nobody wanted it), and they cannot make a border between something being a part of the OS or something the users don't want but they still got. Using that logic, they could sue MS for not providing a choice between Windows Explorer and let's say Total Commander. They can do that.

But I guess it's not about garnering attention. In Europe, Mac sales are extremely low mostly because of high prices + extremely high taxis, so it wouldn't affect a great amount of users. Also, they can't attack open source software developers, because OSS is something you can't sue becuse of "not providing enough choices".

EU lawsuits are in most cases justified. The sad part, however is that there are cases they're not, and only making extra costs(the lawsuit itself and modifying the software that was sued).

However, I've tried to remove Internet Explorer when I had Windows, and it messed up my connection, and made me reinstall the OS.

how very sad when people don't understand.

corporations considered monopolies are bound by specific laws which differ in various parts of the world.

regulatory bodies try to enforce the rules that corporations (often only voluntarily) abide by.

past behavior also needs to be addressed as well: if a killer stops killing, their past still needs to be addressed.

sadly, politics and personal agenda are often tied into this.

Or how about Konqueror from KDE? Guess we should put that off to the side, even though it's basically the same thing as IE and MS...\

Actually, I would think that Konqueror would be more integrated into KDE than IE is into Windows, since Konqueror is also used as the file manager, but IE is just a web browser.

Actually, I would think that Konqueror would be more integrated into KDE than IE is into Windows, since Konqueror is also used as the file manager, but IE is just a web browser.

Yea, but you can still rewrite KDE if you want if you don't like it without being sued by the devs. :D