Cinema Display

18 posts in this topic

I thought I'd hear something like that. :(

My view on it was that it would add to that "Mac feel" :D And I actually found that they went significantly down in price and Here it's especially good.

EDIT: Oh, and I love the idea of the USB hub :D

dell has a usb hub as well :P, so do the HP screens, i was thinking of getting a 30"acd, but unless they make the price reasonable (hopefully at macworld) id rather spend the difference on extra ram. Whatever you do, wait till macworld is over before u buy anything

Building a hackintosh while wasting your money on a cinema display just so it looks more apple is simply self defeating.

I strive for reason and practicality. I also understand that as human, we all invariably inherit the quality of attaching emotional value to material things. To be able to make a financially sound and sane decision is to fight off that nagging voice in your head saying this is what you "need" when in fact it is only what you "want". Meanwhile, Steve Job will be totting his shining new apple or i"whateverhecomesupwithnext", tempting generation of consumers who view products not only as products, but a symbol of life style.

I'm the ultimate anti-social black cat who let all things cool/hip/stylish slip through my emotional radar, yet oddly retain my cruel sense of curiosity and scrutiny while feverishly dissect all coolness and cuteness down to functional nuts and bolts.

I don't use apple, I examine it, test it and throw it away the very second I deem it impractical. So far, Steve Job hasn't made a cent off me.

I have to say that nothing wins cinema. It is just so cool and its made by Apple. If you are using hp that looks like cinema it is still hp. I bought Samsung 226bw with better s panel but everyday I ask myself why.. oh why you stupid didnt buy 23" cinema.. =)

And wigworm the thing you said "I don't use apple, I examine it, test it and throw it away the very second I deem it impractical. So far, Steve Job hasn't made a cent off me."

That is stealing. Sorry.

Yep, looking for 2 widescreen monitors at the moment, I've been looking hard and have come to the conclusion it's going to have to be Apple cinema, I've been looking for a clone/something very similar and it appears there's nothing even close in the looks department.. sure, it's a little bit more expensive than the samsungs and HP's but certainly not extortionate in comparison and for what you're getting it appears a bit of a deal really at £250/$499 for 20", it's going to be with you a good 4 years at least isn't it... kinda worth the piece of mind I think

there is nothing that comes close to it quality/build wise on the market, apple hater, fanboy or whatever I don't think anyone can really argue against it, I'd like to see suggestions if someone can

That samsung probably has great image quality, but let's face it.. it looks basic.. in fact I'd go as far as to say it looks like cheap {censored}.

I have to agree - the Cinema Display is a great bit of kit both in terms of performance and build quality. I've had one of these for a couple of years - first with my MDD and now connected to my Hack.

I have a high-end Dell panel in my office at work (that I plug my Thinkpad into) and while the display performance is without question good, it is still very plastic. The only Dell that comes close in terms of build is probably:

Dell Crystal Display

Other plus points for the Cinema Display are:

- Cable management - only one white cable between the display and the computer (where it splits out into power, DVI, FW, USB)

- Aesthetics - it matches my Apple Aluminium keyboard and all aluminium PC case

- Power button on monitor controls the hackintosh/PC

- Wife FriendlyTM - I was all set to buy a non-Apple display (Formac 20in) but she didn't want a bunch of beige/black box "IT" kit on display!

That samsung probably has great image quality, but let's face it.. it looks basic.. in fact I'd go as far as to say it looks like cheap {censored}.

i think the glossy finish it what won me over :(

it's still one of the more expensive monitors in its range, and the apple ones are like 3 years old.

I have to say that nothing wins cinema. It is just so cool and its made by Apple. If you are using hp that looks like cinema it is still hp. I bought Samsung 226bw with better s panel but everyday I ask myself why.. oh why you stupid didnt buy 23" cinema.. =)

And wigworm the thing you said "I don't use apple, I examine it, test it and throw it away the very second I deem it impractical. So far, Steve Job hasn't made a cent off me."

That is stealing. Sorry.

Condemning stealing in a forum that was developed, maintained and populated by Hackintosh users (which also may include you) is just epitome of irony. If you uphold such superior moral standard, what the heck are you doing here giving out advices in a post of hackintosh? You are either delusional or hypocritical.

Oh well, a quick click on your posts revealed that you are a hackintosh user as well. Doesn't that make you a thief as well? You know that using OSX on non apple hardware is illegal right? You are not only a thief but also a criminal. What made you look worse is that you actually turned around and judged others, which is rather laughable and pathetic.

Condemning stealing in a forum that was developed, maintained and populated by Hackintosh users (which also may include you) is just epitome of irony. If you uphold such superior moral standard, what the heck are you doing here giving out advices in a post of hackintosh? You are either delusional or hypocritical.

Oh well, a quick click on your posts revealed that you are a hackintosh user as well. Doesn't that make you a thief as well? You know that using OSX on non apple hardware is illegal right? You are not only a thief but also a criminal. What made you look worse is that you actually turned around and judged others, which is rather laughable and pathetic.

Ok.. Take it easy man.. Breath and breath and.. I actually have been using macs since 1999 so maybe I have been invested enought money to Apple. But the thing I want to say is that its not so cool to say "Steve Job hasn't made a cent off me." If you use their software and so on.. Maybe you should buy at least that retail dvd. :)

Reason why I am playing this stuff is that now I am working in a locale retail shop and can buy pc stuff little cheaper and I just don´t have 2400 euros ($3300) to buy real mac pro. After I graduate from university (still one more year) I will buy real mac pro and finally forget everything that says Hello I am a PC :P

Ok.. Take it easy man.. Breath and breath and.. I actually have been using macs since 1999 so maybe I have been invested enought money to Apple. But the thing I want to say is that its not so cool to say "Steve Job hasn't made a cent off me." If you use their software and so on.. Maybe you should buy at least that retail dvd. ;)

Reason why I am playing this stuff is that now I am working in a locale retail shop and can buy pc stuff little cheaper and I just don´t have 2400 euros ($3300) to buy real mac pro. After I graduate from university (still one more year) I will buy real mac pro and finally forget everything that says Hello I am a PC :)

Anyway, shake hands. I'm cool with it. I don't need to tell you how you should spend your money, though I do think Apple products, while finely made, are often over priced.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, shake hands. I'm cool with it. I don't need to tell you how you should spend your money, though I do think Apple products, while finely made, are often over priced.

Indeed most apple products are overpriced, but I think that's why they're laying low on the hackintosh issue. It gets them great, free, mostly positive advertising, and lots of hackintoshers I know have purchased a Mac. I'll be the next one, I'm going to buy a Macbook (Baseline, nothing special, except it's Mac ;) ) this summer when I can afford it. Made the decision last night.

Oh and a word of advice to anyone considering buying a Mac: Never, EVER purchase memory upgrades from Apple, unless you want to give them a few hundred unnecesarry dollars(or euros, etc). The 4gb memory upgrade from Apple costs 850 bucks! Yowzah! Save $720 on it.