e2180 not the same as core duo so not as compatible?

jarobata

6 posts in this topic

I've searched and I can't find anything, I just ordered an e2180, am I going to have problems with compatibility because it's not a true core duo? It's a conroe core, the only difference is the size of the cache. I wanted a fully compatible efi and vanilla installation

EDIT: i'm searching and it seems this processor is still considered core 2 duo but I'd like confirmation of this.

Based on the WiKi, you'll probably find that the E2180 is recognized as a Core 2 Duo... Both the E2140 and E2160 are working as C2D, so I don't see why the E2180 wouldn't act the same way.

Thanks, I couldn't find this info in the wiki.

One of my machines is running an E2180 with EFI and Vanilla kernel. Updates from Apple worked just fine. System Profiler shows it as a "2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo"

The stripped down cache is the only real difference from the e6xxx series...and the e2xxx series chips tend to overclock around 50% with the right motherboard. Many people have reported 3.0 - 3.4GHz speeds from them with a better cooler/fan and a high FSB motherboard.

The E2xxx and E4xxx chips are also missing VT (Virtulising Technology) purposefully disabled by intel on the cheaper chips.... It may effect the running of fusion / parallels.. but there are ways around...

hence the popularity of the E6xxx chips..