Installation keeps rebooting on Dell Latitude D600

hardware

35 posts in this topic

On further attempts, I tried removing all ATI* kexts as well as the AppleBCM575x.kext one (except I couldn't find that specific filename, I found AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and removed it). Also tried cpus=1 & cpus=0 flags. Also the -v -f flags. No luck at all, just keeps rebooting over and over as soon as it hits the apple logo. On verbose mode it hits the point and restarts way too quick for me to press the pause button to see what the last message was. I've tried reinstalling over and over with vanilla kernels, without, with SSE2, without, all different combinations. No luck. I'm hoping someone comes across this that might like to help us out and give us the secret to make this work! Thx much in advance if so....

The steps shown in the wiki worked on my D600 exactly as described. I did have a problem deleting that kext using the single user mode, and I had to reinstall and use the correct command, and then it worked. I've done it several times since. It's an excellent hack!

I had the same issue with my D600 the first time I tried and then found this info in the Wiki. It works:

Latitude 600

• Install Method: Kalyway DVD
  • Processor: Pentium M
  • Audio: Sigmatel C-Major (Vendor Id:8086 Device Id: 24C5) works without patches
  • LAN: Broadcom 5701 Gigabit Integrated Controller (Vendor Id: 14E4 Device Id: 165D) works without patches
  • Dell Truemobile 1300 works without patches
  • PCMCIA/Cardbus doesn't work
  • Install Instructions: (This is for a fresh installation, for upgrade, see below)
    1. To install:
      • Format Hard Drive as MSDOS
      • Boot DVD
      • Partition as Journaled HFS+
      • Choose SSE2
      • Do not choose any drivers
      • Install

[*] After install, there will be a kernel panic. To fix:

• Boot into -s mode
    • Run terminal
    • Delete the AppleBCM575x.kext file from your hard drive at: System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM575x.kext
    • Reboot & Enjoy

<li>If you "upgraded" from a previous version of OS 10, you may be faced with the problem of not being able to log in. Your passwords will not work including not having a password. You must boot into -s mode, reset the root password, reboot to the login screen, login as root with your new password, change the other User passwords or eliminate the other Users and create new ones to replace them. See here for a few methods of dealing with this

So you're talking about these wiki steps, right? I wonder why that exact same AppleBCM575x.kext file name isn't in that dir on my install (the closest one was AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext, which I deleted)? Otherwise, I followed everything else perfectly & still have the problem.. hmmmm..

Can you describe exactly what else you choose on the Kalyway 10.5.1 Installer? Did you format as MBR, use any of the vanilla kernels, install the boot loader for MBR, etc? Thanks much.

So you're talking about these wiki steps, right? I wonder why that exact same AppleBCM575x.kext file name isn't in that dir on my install (the closest one was AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext, which I deleted)? Otherwise, I followed everything else perfectly & still have the problem.. hmmmm..

Can you describe exactly what else you choose on the Kalyway 10.5.1 Installer? Did you format as MBR, use any of the vanilla kernels, install the boot loader for MBR, etc? Thanks much.

For anyone else that needs the answer, I finally tried installing without either of the Vanilla kernels and only the SSE2 with MBR bootloader, followed the instructions otherwise, removing AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext, and now I indeed having a working install as well..

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie here, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to install OS X on a Dell Latitude D600

I've tried to follow the wiki instructions, and when I boot into -s mode I get stuck.

The last line reads:

using 3932 buffer headers and 3932 cluster IO buffer headers

and then it's stuck there.

If I try the standard boot, then I get stuck at the gray screen with the apple logo and the rotating icon below the apple.

I found my mistake.

If you're using the 10.5.2 disk, then make sure to select the SSE2_Jas option box. That worked for me.

Now if I can get the peripherals to work (like the USB ports, the wireless, etc.)

Will go hunting for those solutions....

• 2 months later...

I have just started my journey down getting OSX working on my Dell D600 but have fallen at the first few steps. I've downloaded and burned to DVD the Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD installer. I installed the latest BIOS on the laptop, A16 and it has a 40gb drive with 1gb RAM.

The DVD boots and I press F8 to get the <strong>boot:</strong> prompt. Here I type cpus=1 and hit enter, and it continues to boot. All seems well, I confirm I want english for the installation and it then presents me with the Kalyway license agreement, when I click on "Agree" it shows the nicely coloured mouse cursor and does nothing. It hangs... anyone know what might be going on?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...