How to get sleep to fully work with gigabyte 945gcmx-s2

13 posts in this topic

the sig below. i built an osx86 rig for my fiance and, i used basically cd2 e6550, xfx 7900 gs pci-e, kaly 10.5.1, and of course gigabyte 945gcmx-s2 mobo. now we all know that you must enable s3 suspend to ram ''str'' in the bios in order to sleep and, i think your video card has to be compatible enough to wake the display ( i think ).... my problem was that i was always able to put the machine to sleep manually by clicking the apple logo and then clicking ''sleep'', no prob with waking it either. what i could not do is just leave the computer and allow it to put itself to sleep as per the energy saver's settings, it would put the display to sleep but, all the fans would still be running, NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TINKERED WITH THE SETTINGS!!!!

What i did was downloaded a ''blank/black jpeg'' from google images and, applied it as my screensaver and bingo!........ now i can set it to sleep and wake no prob as well as let it go to sleep on it's own ( fans/lights off ) and wake no problem....( monitor/display sleep/wake no prob also )

don't ask me how or why it works , i don't know, it just does.......

i guess this only helps if you had the same problem as i had

This sounds like a practical joke. You applied a black jpeg as your screensaver and got your system to go into sleep mode? Bizarre.

One question about your girlfriend's build (that came out the wrong way)--I mean her *computer*: What speed is the e6550 running at in there? The maximum I could "overclock" mine to is 2.24 which is below the stock speed (because the board doesn't support 1333 fsb).

And what are her Xbench scores? I ask because I'm thinking about getting an NVidia card like the 7900 or 8600. But I'm not a big gamer. So, I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of switching from my current ATI Radeon X1600 card.

Thanks.

This sounds like a practical joke. You applied a black jpeg as your screensaver and got your system to go into sleep mode? Bizarre.

One question about your girlfriend's build (that came out the wrong way)--I mean her *computer*: What speed is the e6550 running at in there? The maximum I could "overclock" mine to is 2.24 which is below the stock speed (because the board doesn't support 1333 fsb).

And what are her Xbench scores? I ask because I'm thinking about getting an NVidia card like the 7900 or 8600. But I'm not a big gamer. So, I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of switching from my current ATI Radeon X1600 card.

Thanks.

i'm telling you man , it is no joke........ i was so upset when i got everything working and sleep would work when i put it to sleep but, if i left it to go to sleep by itself .... none of the fans or lights would turn off..... until i applied the black jpeg then it worked instantly!!! it has gotta have something to do with the graphics card or something.........and i have not tried to oc it yet but, i gotta!.... it says it is running at 1.87ghz??? if i set it to 1333 in the bios , it just reverts back .the xbench scores are 165 or something without the hd and 130 with.......we got the same chip and board.... i never oc'd anything ... can you tell me what you did???.....and try the black jpeg thing..... let me know how it works for you ( remember you gotta set it to s3 in bios )

post-128396-1199843628.jpeg

Steady:

In the bios, there's a section called "frequency/voltage adjustments" (or something like that) in the main menu. Choose that... Once you're in there, there's a place to change the cpu's frequency. By default, yours is probably set at 266. Your chip, the e6550, can safely go up to 320 and run stably without any issues, according to my experience and that of several others with this board... (and FYI: I'm only using the stock fan) So, change that number from 266 to 320, save changes and exit bios, and you're done.

Making that change will boost the FSB to 1280, and bring your overall CPU speed to 2.24GHz.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

it's kind of odd:

- i had sleep working out the box after kalyway leo install with efi (mbr) & vanilla; i think i didn't even change to s3 (str). btw, i'm talking about "manual" sleep via apple menu

- now, after 1 day, it doesn't work no more

- all i've done in the meantime was installing alc888 driver and installing my wg311t wireless network adapter, using some kext from tiger i got from consolation

do you know what's up with that?

best, simon

it's kind of odd:

- i had sleep working out the box after kalyway leo install with efi (mbr) & vanilla; i think i didn't even change to s3 (str). btw, i'm talking about "manual" sleep via apple menu

- now, after 1 day, it doesn't work no more

- all i've done in the meantime was installing alc888 driver and installing my wg311t wireless network adapter, using some kext from tiger i got from consolation

do you know what's up with that?

best, simon

yeah.... only as of lately does my girl's rig act funny and not sleep here and there

EDIT: sleep works perfect after Kalyway 10.5.2 w/ 9.2 kernel but, still have to use the blank/black jpeg for automatic sleep

• 4 months later...

Oh man. it feels SOOO NICE to see so many users with same mobo, i downloading Kalyway iso and md5 matches and all that, but now when i boot i get this errror.

" EBIOS read error: Device Timeout: Block 8939856 Sector 64"

did u guys get this? do u suggest me to update bios? should i set S3 instead of S1? yelp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
BTW

Awesome Update: I now have leopard running , Rawrrr.

If you may validate on how you got leopard running, because I've verified I'm getting a unvarying error message to the one you were encountering before you so vacuously made visible that you installed leopard victoriously.