PST files on PC's and Mac's

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Just after some info...does anyone know or have an opinion on why you cant just take a PST file created on a PC and import it in to Entourage on a Mac or why Apple doesnt allow you to import a PC PST file in to Mail?

In essence, what Im really after is, who's fault is it? Is this something created by Apple and its OS or is this an Application created issue by Microsoft?

Also, does anyone know if Office2008 on the Mac will address this issue and allow you to open a PC created PST file?

Regards

Mailman

I have no clue :censored2:

But a quick wikipedia search would indicate that although it is a Microsoft thing, there are apps that can open it and read from it. Here's an excerpt:

2gb152 Oversized PST and OST crop tool. Can be used to arbitrarily crop data from a PST file that has grown beyond 2 GB.

libpst It is a GPL tool to extract data from .pst files.

xena It is another open source alternative — which is based on libpst.

PST Walker Outlook PST viewer. Outlook PST to MSG Conversion. File extension PST. Outlook OST viewer. Outlook OST to MSG Conversion. File extension OST.

So it would seem that if Apple wanted to incorporate them, they probably could, but I'm unsure on wether these apps are tied to Windows libraries. If they are, it would be a considerable effort to incorporate .pst support in Mac OS X, since Apple would have to port over the very libraries from Windows, especially if there is no .pst support in Entourage. This would lead me to believe that it is Microsoft's fault, although I'm unsure, since .pst could be an openly documented format (although I doubt it!).

I'm not sure about the new version of Office. I guess you could wait until the 15th!

May I ask why you're interested? If you're trying to move over from Outlook [express] or Windows Mail, there are many ways to import things over.

Great question though!

And welcome to the forums!

-Urbz

I ask because Im currently involved in an arguement over who's fault it is that PC PST files cannot be read by Entourage on a Mac.

My standpoint is that since Apple controls the OS, this is an issue with Microsoft since they control the application. The other guy is going on about this being an Apple issue because Apple wont allow PST files to be read on a Mac as PST files, according to him, are illegal in the Apple world.

Regards

Mailman

lol ohh... so it's that simple, is it? :hysterical:

In that case, the fault is wholy Microsoft's: they created .pst, they created entourage.

Obviously this is not a Mac OS X problem! Whoever suggested that knows very little about operating systems in general.

• Like 1

A PST file is just that. A file. A big one, often, but its just a file. I have PSTs and OST's in my mac home directory, which I access using Outlook running under Parallels. Works fine. There's absolutely nothing in OSX that prevents normal use of a PST file.

In other words -- it's Microsoft's fault. They simply haven't made entourage to read them.

As far as Office 2008 goes -- the Beta does not import PSTs. Let's home RTM might. Would come in handy.

• 1 month later...
May I ask why you're interested? If you're trying to move over from Outlook [express] or Windows Mail, there are many ways to import things over.

Urbz, I'm not the original poster, but I stumbled across this thread as a result of a Google search. I would like to be able to take a copy of my .pst file from my work Windows desktop machine and read it on my personal MacBook when I'm on business travel. Here's why:

I tend to archive emails with attachments in Outlook rather than save the attachment separately on my desktop's hard drive. I can access work email from the road using Parallels/IE/Outlook Express (I have to use a SmartCard and USB cardreader), but there's a ~50MB limit on how much I can keep in my inbox, which is on the server. My archives (the .pst files) are on my desktop's hard drive, which I can NOT access remotely.

So being able to stick a copy of my .pst file on a thumb drive or ext. hard drive and then be able to read it on my MacBook would simplify my life greatly. I guess I could put a copy of Outlook (in addition to Outlook Express) or one of the other .pst viewers in my Parallels Windows environment, but it would be so much nicer to do it from OS X.

• 10 years later...

PST to MSG converter for Mac is a tool which can effortlessly migrate your PST documents into outlook MSG without problems. It is a not unusual record format in order that most of the customers need to get right of entry to it via outlook that is commonly used email customer. This software program deals with the email messages and file attachments in PST file layout to transform them into MSG format easily with none records loss. Visit here for more details:- https://www.mailvita.com/pst-to-msg-converter-for-mac/