4 Gigahertz - 4 Cores - 4 Gigabytes

foodfightr

46 posts in this topic

^^Damn thats a sweet overclock!

Looking at your sig and seeing your temps I assume your using phase change cooling?

I've managed to get my Q6600 to 3.6 GHz on air with idle temp at 38c on the hottest core

and 68c on the hottest core at load under Prime95.

Thats some overclocking though mate :tomato:

post-116146-1210342655_thumb.jpg

Do all of you overclockers boot into XP to test stability? I am running Leopard on a GUID partition table so I cannot use XP other than in VMWare.

I want to overclock my Q6600 to around 3ghz on my DFI P965 mobo but am unsure about where to go to do stability testing. Any suggestions?

-sdelano

Thanks for your help guys but I already am using command 3. I was referring to the processor features part and also the fact that my quad core does not display the processor name. Is that an SM Bios problem?

processor2.jpeg

Thanks Kevin for that, but it made no difference. There used to be a fix called The "Colonels System Profiler Fix" but his website has long since disappeared! I remember using it and it showed the processor features, however, I am not sure which items it changed.

what speed are you actually getting? there's no way its actually 5.7GHZ, there's something wrong with your CPU reporting. show me a screenshot of your BIOS getting 5.7ghz and i'll beleive it.

Hagar: i keep my q6600 with stock cooling with a decent case (antec 900) at 3.2, it can boot at 3.3 and 3.4 but at 3.4 it starts to crash or fail some cputests until i increase my voltage quite a bit and also increase almost every voltage setting on my motherboard.

@Hagar, my Q6600 (G0) runs fine at 3.0 on the stock HSF. With the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro (one of the best value for money HSF's that exist) I can push it 3.4 at around the same temps.

Do all of you overclockers boot into XP to test stability? I am running Leopard on a GUID partition table so I cannot use XP other than in VMWare.

I want to overclock my Q6600 to around 3ghz on my DFI P965 mobo but am unsure about where to go to do stability testing. Any suggestions?

-sdelano

Anybody?

I have never booted into XP to test stability and to be honest if you are going to use OSX there is no real point anyway. Use a combination of either openmark,Open GL Extensions Viewer, cinebench by all means, but if you want to give it a good test, load up something like Quake 4 or a recent game. GioFX Openmark really heats up your CPU. There is also SpecViewPro for Mac OSX that is also free if you can find it.

for stability testing go find 'CPUTest' on macupdate, it will run a number of tests for as long as you want for all your cores and even report if there's any errors in the calculations.

for stability testing go find 'CPUTest' on macupdate, it will run a number of tests for as long as you want for all your cores and even report if there's any errors in the calculations.

Thanks a bunch. I will do exactly that and maybe put my Q6600 to the test this weekend. First time overclocking so I hope I don't f*** {censored} up