Time (clock) issues

JustForKix

10 posts in this topic

I had this problem too. I changed the Time settings within OSX to "fix" it. I disabled the automatic time updates in the preferences. I then changed my Time Zone from EST to GMT ( GMT is 5 hours ahead of EST ). Now OSX shows the same time as the BIOS. I hope that this helps.

Indeed.. it has been mentioned before, but OS X sets the BIOS clock as GMT, and adds / subtracts whatever the time zone difference there is for your local area and shows that. Windows sets the BIOS clock to the same local clock you have.

Other than doing what Bighoffa said above, another way is to have Windows do internet time sync at boot (using something like Dimension4).

• 5 weeks later...

Having the same problem myself with goofy time when dual booting with OSX & XP. It only does it when I boot into OSX and adjust the time to local. After I set the time in OSX and reboot, check system time in bios, it's off by +6hrs. So I change it in the BIOS, go back into OSX and osx clock is off again. If I leave the bios clock set to +6hrs, then my XP clock is wrong.

It appears that OSX is adjusting BIOS clock settings? If it is why?

I mean what the heck is an OS (I don't care who's it is) doing screwing with hard settings in the bios :angry: ?..That's just scary man. Maybe it's no biggy in mac world but I shutter to think that if it's possible for an OS then it's possible by any software running on the system to mess with bios settings.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it doesn't sit well lol.

Read the post that Wesley made...

...OS X sets the BIOS clock as GMT, and adds / subtracts whatever the time zone difference there is for your local area and shows that. Windows sets the BIOS clock to the same local clock you have.

The easy fix is to Set your timezone to GMT (London works) in OS X, and then it will display the correct local time that is in your BIOS. :dev:

(as to your paranoia... both systems change the clock in the BIOS, but OS X sets it to the Universal Time Clock (UTC) which is basically GMT, and Windows (stupidly) sets it to your Local Time)

Setting your time zone to GMT in OS X is the best way to solve this. I was afraid it would mess up localization settings, such as yellow pages in the dock, weather, etc. but apparantly it's not an issue. I haven't found any issues whatsoever with setting my OS X to think I'm in GMT and allowing Windows to set the BIOS time. That way their both correct.