Apples For The Army

Technobob

8 posts in this topic

Apples For The Army

Though Apple machines are still pricier than their Windows counterparts, the added security they offer might be worth the cost, says Wallington. He points out that Apple's X Serve servers, which are gradually becoming more commonplace in Army data centers, are proving their mettle. "Those are some of the most attacked computers there are. But the attacks used against them are designed for Windows-based machines, so they shrug them off," he says.

I agree. Server Linux has just as good security as Mac OS X (and sometimes better) and you can install it on modern servers, not the outdated Xserves that have been here since the time of the G4s.

sometimes better???

always better, unless you wayyyy misconfigure it. then nah, but really, theyre both quite secure WHEN SET UP PROPERLY

if not it doesnt matter

you just have to know how to harden the os and ittl be a tank.

My dad sent me this article. From what I can tell, they are doing it to have a mixed environment - so that their entire system doesn't go under if it gets hacked. Good idea.

always better, unless you wayyyy misconfigure it. then nah, but really, theyre both quite secure WHEN SET UP PROPERLY

Any server will be secure when you set it up properly. :)