EASY INSTALL - LEOPARD ON A DELL E520

thedude9

39 posts in this topic

This guide will allow you to install Leopard 10.5.1 on your Dell E520. You will be using EFI-emulation and the "vanilla" kernel. This means you will essentially be installing a perfect, un-hacked, unmodified version of Leopard direct from Apple. This is possible due to a recent breakthrough, EFI emulation. This allows your PC BIOS to mimic that of a real Mac's, which uses EFI firmware in place of BIOS. This means you can do direct system updates from Apple worry-free, and you will always have the newest, fastest version of OS X. This guide will give you full sound, wireless internet, and ethernet, which was previously unattainable using onboard ethernet in Tiger. This guide uses the new iAtkos 1.0i. It will only work if you are using a Core 2 Duo E520. iAtkos uses the stock OS X kernel (vanilla), so it is identical to the Leopard you would buy at the Apple Store, except it has the PPC packages removed, which doesn't matter because you can't install a PowerPC processor in a PC.

Finally the OSx86 project has reached its goal. We are able to run a perfect, stock version of OS X on a PC. We can use Apple system updates and have full functionality of all hardware components (at least on the E520). A HUGE thank you to Uphuck Team for their excellent release, as well as Taruga for developing the sound patches, and also to netkas for developing EFI emulation. Great work!

This guide is for a single install of Leopard. If you intend to dual boot, leave some space on your hard disk for it. Dual booting is beyond the scope of this guide. Backup your data and lets begin:

You Need:

iAtkos v1.Oi iso - search the torrent underworld. I believe its available at a certain "mini" torrent tracker.

Sound Patch - these are two kext files. Get it Sound_Patch.zip

Gparted Live CD iso - search google

Blank DVD-R/+R

Blank CD-R (or DVD-R if you really want)

1. The iAtkos release comes in a zip file. Unzip and you should get an iso file. Use any program you like to burn the iso to the blank DVD. Use can use MagicISO or Nero in windows, but there are other programs. If you already have OS X Tiger, just use disk utility. Make sure to use high-quality media, like Verbatim or Sony brand DVDs and burn at the lowest speed you can, like 4x maybe.

2. Repeat with Gparted Live CD iso and the CD-R.

3. Leave the new Gparted Live CD disk in your drive and reboot. Hold down F12 when the blue Dell logo appears. You should eventually get to a menu in the BIOS. Select the option that corresponds to the drive you have the Gparted disk in and hit enter. When the grey screen loads, select whichever option you think is best. The first one is fine. Hit enter. Follow the instructions onscreen until you get to a windows looking application.

4. You are in Gparted. A linux-based app that partitions hard disks. Select all the entries in the white box and hit delete. Now select the single entry left over - blank space - and hit new.

5. Make it a primary FAT32 partition. Use all the Hard Disk's space. Press ok.

6. Hit apply. WARNING THIS WILL ERASE YOUR HARD DISK! BACK UP IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!!

7. Now exit Gparted and restart your computer.

8. This time hold down F2 at the blue dell logo. When you get to the BIOS setup menu, find the option that allows you to change between "AUTODETECT/ATA" and "RAID ON". Select Autodetect/ATA. Press ESC and then Save/Exit. Restart.

9. Again, hold down F12 and when you get to the menu, open your disk drive and switch gparted with the iAtkos disk. Select the same option in the menu again and hit enter. If you burned the disk right, and selected the correct option in the bios, iAtkos will boot. It will prompt you to press a key to install OSX. Do it.

10. A white screen with the apple logo will appear. It will load for a good 15 minutes until you get to a menu that asks if you want to begin. Press the arrow button to start.

NOTE: IF THE MENU HERE DOESN'T LOAD OR YOU GET A LITTLE CIRCLE WITH A LINE THROUGH IT, YOUR BIOS ARE NOT SET RIGHT. GO BACK TO THE AUTODETECT/ATA - RAID ON OPTION. MAKE SURE AUTODETECT IS SELECTED. IF IT IS, YOU CAN TRY RAID ON. RAID ON SEEMS TO WORK FOR A SELECT FEW, ITS UNDETERMINED WHY. STILL, MOST PEOPLE NEED AUTODETECT ON FOR LEO TO WORK.

11. Go through the menus until you get to "Select destination." Go to utilities at the top and then disk utility. When it loads, select the FAT32 Partition you made in Gparted in the left side menu, then go to erase. Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and hit erase.

12. Exit disk utility. Now go to utilities -> darwin_boot. Hit "y" for yes. If you are using only one HDD in your computer and NOT dual-booting, type "1" for hard disk when asked, then "1" again for partition. Otherwise, read the instructions and be careful what numbers you type in. Hit y again then it will do some stuff and say "you can now exit terminal" or some similar {censored}. You now have EFI emulation!! Exit this. If it says "failed" try again. Check you are typing in the right numbers.

13. You're now back to select destination. A HDD should now be available. Select it and go on.

14. Press customize when you have the option. Put checks in the following and nothing else:

-iAtkos main system

-EFI-Emulation (both sub-options)

-VGA->Nvidia->Titan

15. Hit ok. Hit install. It will now install. It will hang a bit at the very beginning and other places along the way, don't worry unless you get stuck in one spot for more then an hour. THEN WORRY!!!! Just kidding.

16. When it asks, hit restart. You should reboot into Darwin Boot Loader. It will load OS X.

17. You should boot OS X. If you just get a black screen, switch iAtkos with the Gparted disk. Load up Gparted. Select the entry in the white box labeled HFS+. Right click and hit "manage flags." Put a check in the "boot" box. Press ok. Press apply. Exit and reboot. Now OS X loads for sure.

18. Once you get through apple's nice intro vid and the setup, go to the apple in the top left-> system update. Update and reboot if necessary. Once up again, unzip the sound patch from "You Need". Open ->system->library->extensions and place ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext from inside the sound patch folder into the extensions folder. Say yes to replacing if asked, authenticate with your pasword and we're good. Go to applications->utilities->terminal. Type:

sudo -s

(your password)

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/ALCinject.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/ALCinject.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext

restart

19. Now you will restart. After, you should be able to go to system preferences, then sound and select line in and line out to get sound.

20. In iAtkos, most wireless cards are auto-detected. The onboard ethernet on the e520 works automatically too.

Enjoy your new Leo system. Post if you have questions or need help and enjoy.

If you have multiple HD's, you will need the SATA detection PPF patch recently released by Uphuck. Go to the Uphuck IRC channel and ask around.

Great post. Worked great. I did have to get an Ralink driver for my usb wifi dongle to work though. was a breeze.

Couple of issues: I hear no sounds although the HDA audio driver is installed. Also, the Leopard does not see SATA drives beyond the fors two (SATA-0 and SATA-1). Any thoughts on these?

Is it okay to call you El Greato? Nice post, BTW. What NIC are you talking about since E520s have different NICs

Yes, you may call me El Greato, but I prefer The Dude 9, Master Of Reality or maybe just some cash.

The three problems that always show up in the E520 are:

NIC

Sound

SATA Detection

I will go through each problem one by one. I will include the full extent of my knowledge on the fixing of these components, so please don't post asking more questions about these components. Although, if you have found a solution not mentioned here, by all means post it - inquiring minds want to know.

NIC:

The Dell E520 originally shipped with an Intel NIC. No one I know of has been able to get this to work, even back with Tiger. Your only option here is to pick up a new ethernet card for about $10. I suggest one supported by the tulip.kext patch. Check the wiki for a list of supported models. If you bought your Dell between February 2007 and the release of the new product line in the summer, chances are you have a linksys NIC. You will know you do if you look in System Preferences -> Network and you see Ethernet listed. It is natively supported by both Tiger and Leo.

Sound:

This is tricky. A sure-fire solution is to go to the wiki, find a sound card natively supported by OS X and buy it. ANY external sound card that is connected to your computer via USB AND supports plug-and-play will work. Creative Labs makes a nice one for around $50. All E520's have Sigmatel STAC9227 sound cards. In Leo, different people have found different solutions. For me, the best was to directly install the kext files included in the guide, but that does not work for some. Here is what to do:

Search for "HDA Patcher" and find a topic by Taruga. Read the first post so you know what you're doing and use the link he provides to get a linux dump of the sigmatel 9227 (a text file). Now try each of his automated patchers, starting from the most current, until you get one to work. Some people find 1.19 works the best, but I talked to one guy who said the only one that worked for him was 1.14. Make sure you follow Taruga's instructions exactly or it won't work.

SATA Detection

Many, many people have this problem, due to Leo requiring AUTODETECT mode in the BIOS. If you need multiple HD's, you can do one of two things:

1. Buy an external HD. Both firewire & USB enabled external HD's work smashingly. I recommend a firewire one, because of the noticeably faster speeds.

2. For cheap bastards: Buy an external HD case for around $30 from any computer store. You take an internal HD and put it in this case, and it allows you to then the connect it via USB or firewire. Essentially, it turns it into an external HD. Again, firewire is best if you have a firewire port in your computer.

Update: Uphuck has released a ppf patch for sata detection. Go to the uphuck IRC channel and ask for it.

Footnotes:

Smashing is a great word.

Oh really, I'm looking for an ethernet one cuz the router is connected to this computer and I dunno if wireless would be of any use on this one anyway. You know wat I foudn out?

Stick your cable modem to your computer via a usb cable and then you have internet!!

Now if i could get my sigmatel high def audio codec to work, would be cool.

I have DSL and Leopard didn't like my modem. Oh well. My cheapo wireless card works fine. Its only for internet, so its not a bottleneck on speed. The computer that Leopard is on is also my server. I'm sure the ethernet patch will come soon.

I switched to Kalyway's install. That works. If you have the problem where the welcome video loops, look at post #278 on this page: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7069&st=260. For audio, I used the STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zip file from Taruga's thread (first page) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859. I then used the instructions in this thread to place the files in the right directory and set the permissions. I also went to Disk Utility and repaired permissions. After reboot, sound worked.

I switched to Kalyway's install. That works. If you have the problem where the welcome video loops, look at post #278 on this page: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7069&st=260. For audio, I used the STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zip file from Taruga's thread (first page) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859. I then used the instructions in this thread to place the files in the right directory and set the permissions. I also went to Disk Utility and repaired permissions. After reboot, sound worked.

I see that your ID is different. Do you have Sigmatel 9227? Are you using EFI as well?

Hmm that is weird, I just had Kaly installed and I used the method mentioned here but still no sound. It would not even show in sound properties in OSX. I'll try that aptch files as well too. Would it work in iatkos too? They are the same OS so I do not see why it would work for you and not for me if we have the same card. Mine is 8384 and 7618. Maybe it is not a 9227? How do you find what card by these ID's??

Yep. I chose the vanilla kernel but I believe the sleep kernel will work as well.

OOOPS! For the sound I used stac9227_83847618_testing.zip, not the other one.

Hmm that is weird, I just had Kaly installed and I used the method mentioned here but still no sound. It would not even show in sound properties in OSX. I'll try that aptch files as well too. Would it work in iatkos too? They are the same OS so I do not see why it would work for you and not for me if we have the same card. Mine is 8384 and 7618. Maybe it is not a 9227? How do you find what card by these ID's??

Try the other driver if one doesn't work. I tried it with iATKOS but without luck. Couldn't get all my SATA drives to be seen under iATKOS either but the show up fine under Kalyway.

BTW, don't forget to repair permissions before rebooting.

I will try with the files you re-linked when you said OOPS lol. Maybe and hopefully they will work. I don't feel like going out and spending money in a usb sound device as well as an ethernet card.

Oh for iatkos to notice all your drives, there is a ppf patch that was released by uphuck. You can find it on their Irc channel. Just use the ppf o matic to patch the iso and you are good. Worked for me greatly.

Man I tried all the patchers, the files in this post, the ones also above me here and still nothing works. I dunno why none of the patchers or installers work for me; others with the same sound card have gotten it to work too. I looked everywhere at every store for a usb soud stick and no one knows what it is? I really need to get the sound working too.

Check ebay for usb sound. You can get a "3D USB Sound" for $5. They sound like {censored}, but are natively supported. Also, go to the wiki, go to 10.5.1 components and look in sound. Find one that works natively, then get it through ebay or an online computer components store like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com

Thanks, I m gona get on Ebay and get a USB sound stick. I checked Wiki and it does not have any good info on compatible sound sticks/cards. So I am guessing that any of them will work. I am also gona get a Realtek 8139 LAN card to use instead of my integrated NIC. I hope I still have enough slots for an 8800gt soon too.

WOOOOO F 'n HOOOOO

Using this guide I have finally gotten leopard to work on my D820. Following this guide, I was up and running in under an hour.

Using Tarugas HDA patcher 1.20 and the STAC9200j kext I got the sound working.

In fact it is working so good I am sending this from an XP virtual machine running in VMWare Fusion.

I do have ONE question if someone could answer me.

Why wont this work when I have both cores enabled?

Other than that its AWESOME!!!!

BTW, The update went perfect, I am running vanilla kernel, w/EFI.

OSX ROCKS!!!!

This FORUM is Too Great To Be Forgotten!!!!

L8R!!!!!

Hi everybody ! I have a Dell Dimension E 520, and I was really glad to find this guide to finally get Leopard working on my PC. I followed every instruction, but the installation can not finish. I get an error message telling me that the installer could not validate the contents of the 10.5.1.intel package.

Do you know what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks !

Onboard NIC does not work, well not for me!
Doesn't work for me either.And I think its alot easier to install in Raid mode.Its not an "Easy installation" if you have to reinstall XP/Vista.
I would rather have a fix for the audio, sigmated 9227 has been a problem. I think its releated to efi, even tried the 2 kexts, applehda/aclinject and installed correctly through terminal but no luck.
The Tiger kext in Taruga's thread still works under Leopard. His Leopard patcher results in a kext which loads, but no sound.PC_EFI has nothing to do with it.
SATA DetectionMany, many people have this problem, due to Leo requiring AUTODETECT mode in the BIOS.
Leo does not require autodetect in the Bios.Its just that iatkos does not have ich8r patch. Kalyway does -- did in Tiger too.Or you can patch it yourself.Directions posted here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=511085