EASY INSTALL - LEOPARD ON A DELL E520

thedude9

39 posts in this topic

Well if the kext in Taruga's thread works I dunno what I did wrong. I tried all the patchers and the 9227 dump. How did others get it to work?

1) Download this from taruga's thread, but not in Leopard as it does funny things to permissions I don't know how to fix. (I used Win and saved on fat partition)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=18377

2) Reboot into Leopard.

3) Copy the files into /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions.

4) kextload or reboot and it works

Wmarsh:Its a whole lot easier and clearer then your guide using ToH. You state Kalyway has an ICH8R patch, or you can patch it yourself to avoid AUTODETECT.This is true, but then you are no longer running a stock kernel, no? If you do not use AUTODETECT and choose to patch as wmarsh states, you will risk your system crashing to its knees the first time you try to update, as it is very possible the update will overright your patch when it changes your system to a newer version. I do not recommend this.

WOOOOO F 'n HOOOOOUsing this guide I have finally gotten leopard to work on my D820. Following this guide, I was up and running in under an hour.Using Tarugas HDA patcher 1.20 and the STAC9200j kext I got the sound working.In fact it is working so good I am sending this from an XP virtual machine running in VMWare Fusion.I do have ONE question if someone could answer me.Why wont this work when I have both cores enabled?Other than that its AWESOME!!!!BTW, The update went perfect, I am running vanilla kernel, w/EFI.OSX ROCKS!!!!This FORUM is Too Great To Be Forgotten!!!!L8R!!!!!
Thats great! Glad I could help.

all of this is assuming you dont have 2 sata hdds and a dvd, because while the 2nd sata hdd is plugged in on sata4 or 5 you will still get waiting for root no matter how its set in the bios.

You have to disconnect the 2nd hdd for it to work , install then go back patch ich8r and reconnect .. least thats what they say but its still not showing up for me

1) Download this from taruga's thread, but not in Leopard as it does funny things to permissions I don't know how to fix. (I used Win and saved on fat partition)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=18377

2) Reboot into Leopard.

3) Copy the files into /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions.

4) kextload or reboot and it works

Ok I will download em in windows and try them out in leo when I get home. But I know I tried both the testing zip file and the installer for that version too, as well as the other zip set and I even used the terminal to do chmod and chown, loading kexts, repair permission, and then reboot; still did not work. But I guess I will try once more.

i did it just like it says, but when I boot off hdd , i get darwins boot loader, i can hit f8 , boot:kernel=mach_kernel -v starts to boot for a second then reboots the pc, it doesnt even get to the part where it reads the drivers, i literally mean a sec and reboots.. but if I boot from cd with rd=disk0s1 it will load off the hdd and into leo.

is it my kernel?

also the ich8r patch that marsh was talking about didnt work for me so my other sata channels are out?

• 1 month later...

This guide has some options that aren't on the iATKOS disc that I have.

I clicked on utilities and there is no "darwin_boot" listed there.

I'm going to try to follow the rest of the instructions though and see what happens.

EDIT-OK, install says it finished successfully, reboot and get the b0 error.

I've tried to use the DVD to boot into safe mode using the -x command and it doesn't even attempt to load up safe mode.

It gives me tons of read errors too when I try anything else.

What in the world is going on here?

So, no one has any idea n what could be causing my issue?

boot from disc but let the countdown run down (ie dont hit any keys) and it should boot to osx.

there are some fixes for b0 error that i found but none worked for me, i ended up reinstalling using kalyway and selecting efi mbr which elimated this error

• 1 month later...

thedude9,

Great job on the install instructions. I am very thankful for them.

Morpheus Phreak,

I noticed that there was no "darwin-boot" on the iATKOS 1.0 r2. It was only on the 1.0 version. You may be well past this problem by now but that is what I found.

Has anyone been able to find a driver to use all the buttons and volume dial of the E520 Dell Keyboard?

• 2 months later...
Wmarsh:Its a whole lot easier and clearer then your guide using ToH. You state Kalyway has an ICH8R patch, or you can patch it yourself to avoid AUTODETECT.This is true, but then you are no longer running a stock kernel, no? If you do not use AUTODETECT and choose to patch as wmarsh states, you will risk your system crashing to its knees the first time you try to update, as it is very possible the update will overright your patch when it changes your system to a newer version. I do not recommend this.Thats great! Glad I could help.

I use vanilla kernel. The ICH8R patch is for AppleAHCIPort.kext, not the kernel.

And I installed 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 updates -- and added these to my guide.

How are you doing with updates?

Hopefully some of the newer distros will include ICH8R support and make this easier for everyone.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...