I Never Thought I Would Ever Say This

NUCLEaR

8 posts in this topic

hmm i have to restate myself.

i just tried installing XP.

and it worked exactly like a noob built hackintosh.

drivers - do not work

tons of lag on first install

installations are mad slow

no internet

no sound

you can start the OS and that's it

hmm i have to restate myself.

i just tried installing XP.

and it worked exactly like a noob built hackintosh.

drivers - do not work

tons of lag on first install

installations are mad slow

no internet

no sound

you can start the OS and that's it

My To{censored}ba laptop came with Vista and didn't have any XP drivers on the restore disks or on the toshiba website. I had to google around for about 3 hours looking for drivers, but I did get XP working.

Just find out what hardware you have and then go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers.

Open Device Manager, check for the 'unknown device' items with the yellow triangle or the 'driver not installed' items. If it's not clear what those devices are, open properties then check the "details" tab to get the Vendor and Device IDs.

Example - PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8025&SUBSYS... The Vendor is 104C and the Device ID is 8025. (This is a TI 1394 Host Controller.)

Then go to PCI Database or one of many similar sites, plug your Vendor and Device IDs in and it will tell you what the device is. Toddle off to the manufacturer's site and download the driver.

On a new build you will find your machine runs like a cow with three legs until you have, at the very least, installed the motherboard chipset drivers and the specific graphics drivers. The graphics drivers are vital; you will get a lousy slow jumpy display with hopeless scrolling from the default VGA driver that Windows plugs in until you have loaded a real driver. The chipset drivers can make a huge difference too; default memory management drivers suck.

If it is a prebuilt computer that came with vista it is not meant to run xp and will not run with the driver cd's that came with it, you will have to search for all the drivers on your own and either burn them to a cd or put them on a flash drive and install them after you install xp.