gwprod12

Ten commandments in courthouse  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Yes? No?

• Yes
    • No

8 posts in this topic

Discuss! (without rancor, I hope).

I think it's a bad idea. From my experience with... vociferous Christians (not having ever been preached to by a buddhist, muslim, jew or baha'i person, I can only use Christians as an example) I can only conclude that few actually know what the ten commandments are or what they mean. That's my position.

Thoughts?

Why's it bad? Why's it good?

I can only conclude that few actually know what the ten commandments are or what they mean. That's my position.

Not sure why that matters, as that seems like a separate issue.

How many Americans yip and yap about the Constitution and don't have a real clue what it really says/means?

I view them more as historical markers. Whether we agree with them or not the USA was established on Judo-christian beliefs.

I honestly don't care. ... Having them there doesn't really hurt anything.

Same here. I honestly get more annoyed with all the constant being politically correct stuff. Some people are just offended because they choose to be.

From my experience with... vociferous Christians (not having ever been preached to by a buddhist, muslim, jew or baha'i person, I can only use Christians as an example)

This doesn't bother me to a point. I respect someone that honestly believes something, such as I'm going to burn in hell, and wants to help save me.

Once I say, thanks but no thanks or I don't want to hear anymore, I expect that to be respected though.

Especially in these forums seems that christians are characterized by the idiots of that religion and if someone was to do the same regarding muslims for example, people would be screaming.

I know here in Canada it seems more like an assault on christianity rather than religion.

Especially in these forums seems that christians are characterized by the idiots of that religion and if someone was to do the same regarding muslims for example, people would be screaming.

I'm not christian, and I have criticized christians on this forum but I'll definentily agree with that. If I were to say 'I'm sick of Muslims' or 'Damn I'm tired of these whining Jews' I'd never hear the end of it. Cut on christians however, and it's not big deal.

I don't see them as religious because I know western law is based on the 10 commandments, roman laws, etc... I just see them as a reminder of where our laws came from. But honestly, I don't care, there are better things to argue and protest but something's always gonna offend someone and they gotta make a big stink about it. Why can't everyone just get along like when were kids... I swear everyone got along in elementary school before we were taught what racism and prejudism was, stop teaching that in school and problem solved.

"I am the lord your god, who brought you out of the land of egypt, thou shalt have no other Gods before me"

"Thou shalt make no idol in the likeness of anything in heaven, on the earth, or under the sea"

(paraphrased)

Those are good principles to live by? Do you live by them? Depending on who you are, an Idol might be a golden calf, or it might be any representative image. Who decides which is right?