13 posts in this topic

Well, some of you may of seen my earlier posts of what mac to buy, but i have since learned that i could buy a macbook pro laptop.

I am quite torn between buying an iMac or a Macbook pro, so what do you recommend i go for?

An iMac 20" with at least 2.0ghz and 2gb ram

A Macbook Pro "15.4 with at least 2.0ghz and 1gb ram

my overall budget is $1200, and i am looking for the best computer i can get with that.

The computer would be used for light gaming, schoolwork, internet surfing and music, and to take into school on ocassion (if i buy the laptop).

What would be the best option?

Hi Revolution:

Here's in the U.S: iMac's start at $1199USD and iBook's start at $1099USD.

The iMac has a larger screen, bigger hard drive and separate graphics card. The MacBook is portable so you can take it with you. I think it depends if you need the portability.

--danyel :)

the iMac would be great for what you are describing. I do exactally what you do with a computer, and I just got the 20" 2.0GHz iMac and it is perfect. For 2GB of RAM, don't have apple put it in, they way overprice it. You can get 1GB of mem for the iMac for $19.99 here, if your in the U.S.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Sorry, just looked at your location, your in the U.K. I don't know about there

You can get 1GB of mem for the iMac for $19.99 here, if your in the U.S.

Hope it helps!

This might be a pedantic point, but just remember that the Macbook comes with just 2 memory slots, both of which are used in the default config (1gig RAM = 2x512mb dimms) Meaning you must buy 2x1gb memory modules to upgrade to 2gb. My friend recently found this out the hard way when he bought RAM...(and he paid for Apple RAM!)

This might be a pedantic point, but just remember that the Macbook comes with just 2 memory slots, both of which are used in the default config (1gig RAM = 2x512mb dimms) Meaning you must buy 2x1gb memory modules to upgrade to 2gb. My friend recently found this out the hard way when he bought RAM...(and he paid for Apple RAM!)

Uh, your wrong there. The newer Macbooks, ie the ones currently out, can support 4GB of ram. The older ones can only support 2GB.

Well, would a refurbished white Macbook be one of the new ones with 4GB ram slots, as at the moment I am looking to buy one after Macworld, Because if there is a new Macbook dropped there, some older models will most likely end up on the apple refurb store.

I doubt a new Macbook is coming out, though I may be wrong with Penryn coming so soon and all.

I'm naturally guessing that some of the current ones would hit the refurb if Apple shoved in Penryn at MacWorld. You'd have to do some research though so you don't come back here telling me off that I told you they were there when they weren't.

Ah well, to me it doesn't really matter if they're last gen models as I think they will have sufficient performance for what I want to do, which is mainly iLife, School work, internet and light gaming. So really any C2D Macbook will do, although i will probably have to buy the ram at a later date.

But one question I have thought of now is can you switch the Macbook's screen off? Because I want to use that remote administration software Synergy to use both my Hack and my Macbook at my desktop.