has anyone tried a "Mac Tablet"?

more or less

9 posts in this topic

I know there are several flavors of tablets out there, and I was wondering if anyone installed OS X [and which version] on a tablet, AND was able to use the touchscreen in some fasion.

I guess this would depend on the hardware of the touchscreen interface pretty much just working like huge touchpad, unless someone found a work around. I'd be especially interested if this will work on any older, cheaper tablets out there.

• 1 month later...

I have iATKOS v1.0r2 running on my Tablet PC (Asus R1F).

Everything works except for sleep, rotate (I don't think it ever will until apple comes out with a tablet pc), Audio input/output jacks, and hotkeys.

Wireless didn't work for me at first because there are not drivers for 3945ABG So i bought a Dell wireless card (1490) off of ebay for about $15 shipped.

My wacom digitizer works (i can move the mouse around and click) but its not calibrated right and I know TabletMagic is supposed to get it to work but it doesn't even detect the Wacom digitizer. Hopefully a new version of TabletMagic comes out and gets it to work better with leopard.

• 3 months later...

My Fujitsu P1620 is nearly fully operational will Kalyway 10.5.2 and a few tweaks

- video - 3D Quartz enabled - no rotation :hysterical:

- audio - audio out but goes to speaker/headphones simultaneously

- USB audio/video in via Logitech quickcam

- ethernet OK, bluetooth ppp OK, no internal wireless but MSI Super G USB works fine (mostly)

- touchscreen works... can't get proper calibration yet

the system is very responsive and power management works

I have two working and know of four other laptops/tablets that will definitely work depending on the osx version you want to run.

I am running Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 on an HP TC4200 where I have swapped the intel internal wireless card for the HP parted Broadcom 4318 internal wireless cars and the thing runs like a champ! The handwriting recognition works awesome actually... it uses the wacom tablet magic software via a modded serial driver and the built in INK software that becomes visible on macs when you have a tablet interface connected... it's perfectly calibrated... the buttons on the stylus all work... 255 levels of pressure sensitivity on the tip... even got core image supported... totally worth the attempt and runs better as a Leo tablet than it ever did as an XP machine.

model: HP TC4200-PV985AA#ABA w/ Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2

specs: 1.73GHz centrino mobile / 2GB Kingston PC5300-667's (PN#KVR667D2S5/1G x 2) / WD800BEVE HDD 80GB/5400RPM / Broadcom 4318 wifi (HP pn#377408-001 $12bucks online via Computer Parts Alliance Canada!!) / Intel GMA 915 CI working no QE/external LCD works at multiple resolutions/onboard 12.1" tablet screen at 1024 x 768(which is totally fine for the size of it) /svideo out works multiple resolutions/ USB all work / cardbus working w/ modded kext's and can read and write to a PCMCIA 32MB(wow remember when that was big AND expensive?) memory card / SD card reader does not work / ethernet jack works... I think it worked by default post Kaly install like the Broadcom wireless did / same as the audio - totally works great as well as input/output jacks and all my external midi gear works(iControl, Roland/Edirol UM-2 2x2 midi io, Griffin iMic, Blue Snowball mic, Roland MC-505 + Roland MC-303, Native Instruments everything works. The only thing Im waiting for is the internal HP bluetooth module HP pn#370429-001 which I ordered before the long weekend and should be on my desk tomorrow afternoon sometime... I cant wait to use my bluetooth car deck with it. Truly and totally functional and inspired by the fact apple didnt release one this year. Necessity is the mother of invention right? I needed tactile control over the dj software I use and apple didnt want to accomodate so "in your face apple"! Actually I felt kinda guilty so I bought the Leopard OS and kept it sealed. This tablet was totally worth apple-o-tizing. I christened it "the Crab-Applet" cause it took like 6 attempts to get Leo onto it and fully functional. (Thanks to JAS or whomever figured out the 2 wire trick... and everyone else for posting results... especially the TabletMagic forum guys and girls YOU RULE HARDCORE!).

The second Tablet is the 7" Asus R2H tablet ("R2DeTablet") running Jas 10.4.8 up'd to 10.4.10. This thing is sluggish but also runs better as a mac than it did as a pc... although I havent been able to test the GPS module due to lack of free Mac GPS software to try it out with. Google Earth for mac actually runs albeit slow 3d action. I need to get a copy of the Google w/ GPS support... (anyone know where?) This thing was a total nightmare to install osx but after getting the Zydas usb wireless working and getting full video support (QE and CI fully working on the intel915 w/ external lcd and 3.5mm video out working too). This thing is a Panjit TouchSet usb digitizer and works but is ever so slightly mis-calibrated by like 3mm... still definately useable as the media center in my car since the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse are so travel worthy they work great with it. It can also run an extended desktop through the 3.5mm video out to another 7" lcd TV i have in the back seat AND the bluetooth runs audio out to the stereo deck no problem... awesome! I maxed out the RAM on the R2H at 1.25GB but its still a little sluggish w/ the 900 MHz Celeron in it. I actually want to try out Gpart live and see if I can do a nondestructive repartition and maybe dual boot a stripped down XP install for the sake of the GPS usage... OSX boots in a minute on the R2H... I cant wait for the 3 minute XP boot time issue again just so I can have a GPS working... stupid windows! The handwriting INK app works great on this thing too... of course I handwrite in block letter form anyways from drafting so maybe thats why it works well for me(?) Oh the Bison camera does not work... I should mention that if you care about having a webcam... I totally dont cause Im ugly (not really) and the only chick that wants to cam with me is named "hotamber69@hotmail.com" and is probably, in actuality a fat 65 year old man thats into nerds and bondage... yeeee-ikes! LOL!

As far as other tablets go I know the TC4400 series HP with the core 2 duo will work as well for Leopard pending you do the same HP parted Broadcom wireless card swap I listed for the TC4200 above (HP pn#377408-001)... the iwi2200 fix for Intel 2200 series doesnt support WPA encryption (yet?) and doesnt show up as an "Airport" with the balldiamond like the Broadcoms do... hence the recommended swap.

The Panasonic Toughbook tablet will run Leo from what ive seen on youtube (google it man... it's sweet!). Looks like it runs as well as my 4200 if not better but get ready to shell out some bucks.

The HP TX1400/2000 series AMD tablets have also made an appearance on youtube with Leo functioning. Those are probably broadcom wireless chips... (?)

There are a bunch of motion computing tablets that would likely run Leo pretty well but I dont think they are convertable... perfect justification to go out and buy the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse (and a copy of Leo for your guilt factor... or maybe a developers license?)

The best thing to do is research the heck out of the tablet you are going to attempt to install on. Even better if you can get in front of a functional demo cause you can check the device and vendor ID's and verify potential functionality here on insanely before you buy it and make an attempt. AND THEN POST YOUR RESULTS! LOL! ... Please.

May the Force be with you!

• 3 months later...

Wow, what a poooooost! :unsure: Lots of interesting infos. I was googling around for a chance to hack the refurbished motion comp. M1300 I have laying around here. There's not much about it here on insanely (nothing) except a few posts about its bigger brother M1400. AFAIK they're almost the same hardware though, so I will try, as soon as I find the time to back up the current xp partition. The original idea when I bought it was using it inside my car, but a 13'' PMP would also be funny - once it has Leo with decent audio and video.

One thing I can tell you: there's a small app you can use with Google Earth - there are both for mac and windows - which shows the actual GPS position of a connected GPS mouse on the map. Nothing too complicated. Add to that that you can configure G.E. to have a 2GB maps cache for offline use, that makes an interesting in-car-gps solution. At least that's what I had found out in june when I was planning a long trip. That means: plan your trip, define start and goal etc in G.E. Then configure themap cache big enough, then configure also that cool flying-over-the-route feature and press play while online. If it's too fast it won't have time to completely download the maps, so repeat it 2 or 3 times. Then you're ready to go!

bye,

rickx