The Monster Mini

zeamp

12 posts in this topic

I found a great deal on a Mac Mini, 1.66GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, all the software, etc. My question is this:

I would love to swap out the motherboard and the case so I can ditch the onboard video. I'm looking for something very similar so that Leopard will boot and function without issues using the new motherboard. I've already purchased a graphics card that has been working fine on my Tiger Hackintosh and from the HCL's I've seen, support Leopard without any problems.

Do you know of any motherboards that will take the CPU/RAM/OS and be fairly inexpensive? I know I'll use Ethernet and Bluetooth and everything else on the stock board but that's OK. I searched around the thread and did a lot of Googling but couldn't find anyone swapping boards on their Mini's to overcome the "Mac Mini is not a gaming machine" gripe.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some board names, advice, etc.

I searched around the thread and did a lot of Googling but couldn't find anyone swapping boards on their Mini's to overcome the "Mac Mini is not a gaming machine" gripe.

You want a gaming PC and your looking towards a Mac. Are you {censored} serious?

You want a gaming PC and your looking towards a Mac. Are you {censored} serious?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but here goes:

You bought a Mac and expect it to handle modern games well? :hysterical:

;)

If you swap out the motherboard and case, you're left with a CPU, hard drive, RAM, and DVD drive. What was the point of buying the mini when none of those are Mac specific? Only the motherboard and case make it a Mac.

QFE. Why not buy off Newegg and save some money? If you want the 'full' Mac experience (which is a {censored} one that is full of the 'why-didn't-I-build-a-hackintosh?' blues) , you have to use a Mac motherboard.

What is the point? The only benefit of buying a Mini is that it has genuine Apple logicboard. I doubt you will get anything else to fit into it and those that have simply upgraded the processor are seeing large temperature increases. Fit alone you do realize the logicboard that's in it was specifically made to fit into that case right?

This seems like an lesson in futility. Unless the Mini is free, it will be cheaper just to build a proper hack box. In the end that's all you will have.

You're right.

After some more hard work on my Hackintosh, I've gotten everything to work including QE/CI on my cheap GeForce card. Things run a lot smoother with full GFX support.

Thanks for all the input, guys!