Boot camp dual boot?

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys i was just day dreaming about the day i finaly installed os x 86 on my pc and it got me thinking. I want to dual boot XP and Os x86. I know that on a mac using boot camp you can instal both, and USING parallells you can emulate your XP partition. is this still feasible? Or because of some boot loader problem parallels cant boot xp? That would make os x 86 my primary OS if i could use parallells to boot into xp when ever i want to use some files. To those who are thinking "he must be mad, running os x 86 and xp???" well i have a Q6600 and 2gb ram, and 50$ to invest in 2 more sticks of ram if i need to.

what do you guys tihnk? madness or spart...err sorry, madness or genious? (sorry for the spelling mistakes)

• 2 weeks later...

Dual-booting is fine for those who need 3D gaming, but being able to use my normal Windows XP partition in Parallels or VMWare could be fantastic. Would be so nice to be able to run my home Mac apps and my office Windows apps at the same time.

Right now if I try to select that second partition with Windows Parallels simply hangs at "Booting from Hard Drive". VMWare just straight up locks the whole damned machine.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

Seems x64 windows will boot from guid.. I'm sure Xp must be possible using Legacy MBR But I've yet to see this done, and never with Apple's boot camp app.

Just speculating wildly, but boot camp is dependent on Apple firmware, so a small modification to pc-efi might do it?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

Seems x64 windows will boot from guid.. I'm sure Xp must be possible using Legacy MBR But I've yet to see this done, and never with Apple's boot camp app.

Just speculating wildly, but boot camp is dependent on Apple firmware, so a small modification to pc-efi might do it?

Uh... I dunno about 64-bit XP, but i think 64-bit Vista can boot from EFI, and I know the current build of WinServer 2008 can..

Uh... I dunno about 64-bit XP, but i think 64-bit Vista can boot from EFI, and I know the current build of WinServer 2008 can..

So a simple matter of partitioning in GUID, installing Mac with PC-EFI etc, and then put x64 Vista on a separate partition?

If only it was that easy...

So a simple matter of partitioning in GUID, installing Mac with PC-EFI etc, and then put x64 Vista on a separate partition?

UHhh... no....

I mean, x64 Vista comes with the EFI bootloader from Microsoft ( I think ) allowing it to run on EFI without modification, but I know for sure that WinServer 08 does...

It is that easy.

i don't know about XP and Vista x64 but Vista x86 boots fine with Guid, when you install it it just takes over the bootloader and boots alone. pc_efi bootloader does than the trick of dual boot with OSX.

Just remember to format the partition for Vista in FAT when you make it in diskutils. Otherwise vista will refuse to format it in the required NTFS.

The only thing I couldn't do was using that partition with parallels or fusion. It is recognised but I always get the b0 error.

I have OSX86 and Vista x64 installed on two separate physical HDDs. I was unable to load Vista, through Bootcamp and Parallels. However, VMWare Fusion managed things quite nicely. ( I just ignored the "error" that said I was trying to boot a 64bit OS in a machine that, by default, ought to have been 32bit.)

(To be fair, I'd be tempted to install 32bit Vista, just to be able to get better driver support -VMWare Fusions VMWare tools SUCK. BIG TIME. - but I rather prefer my OS to recognize all 4GB of RAM. -besides, even without the VMWare tools, I still have access to Vista, without needing to reboot, when I'm using Leopard.)