network : VIA Rhie ii fast ethernet adapter

and after insall

boot and say

your computer must restard

can any one help me

or tell me which os i must install to work

can any one help me plz

BlackCH:

Im just wondering, on the setup (combo) menu, you chose the 8.10.1 kernel to be the default one to be installed.

Why not 8.10.3??? im just curious

'cause works better; supports EFI and speedstep.

I installed this last night without any problems, left teh deault values etc but as soon as i reboot my lappy i just get a black screen with flashing cursor, dosent boot into the os, any ideas??

Im using a dell inspiron 6000 laptop

Is a problem with the bootloader.

Can you give more details about the install selection (I dont remember what is the default), and your hard disk (partition. other systems installed, etc)?

I installed this last night without any problems, left teh deault values etc but as soon as i reboot my lappy i just get a black screen with flashing cursor, dosent boot into the os, any ideas??

Im using a dell inspiron 6000 laptop

Did you set the OS X partition to MBR (Master Boot Record)?

Thanks for the replys guys, as for setting the osx partition to mbr, where do i do this?? if you mean in the bios then yea, my laptop will look for a cd first, if not present then will boot from the hard disk

@black ch

As for install section i left it on all the deafult values, i will write them down tonight as i can remember off the top of my head, the only thing i havent done is patch the image, wasent sure how, as for my machine, its a 120gb ide hard drive @72000 rpm, 2gb raqm installed, intel celeron m 1.7ghz processor with no other partitions etc

Okay guys, I have just managed to patch the image, here is what im installing: Set partition as mbr Apple combo 10.4.11 update 8.9.1 Kernel got the tips from this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1413&st=120 All recommended patches ADi1980.ac97 audio driver again from above thread Intel ingenerated graphics Not sure on Ethernet so I left it, if I find out the name of hardware im using & I get a successful install can I just install the driver or is a new install needed?? Will post how I get on

*EDIT*

*Got further than I did before but still not running yet, I installed with the above spec and it all went thru, then I rebooted and I started to get all this white text, as if it was loading, but then I get the error " failed to load extension com.apple.driver.appleacpiplatform" then there is some more text but it gets no further*

ok, you are closer. The 'withe text scrolling' is the verbose mode on (to know whats wrong). Im doubting which of my distros are you using. Make shure you have the 10.4.11 rev1 and the two ppfs (all aviablea at TPB) and check the MD5 sums are correct before and after patching.

I cannot help you much if you dont post HERE which components did you install (defaults are different in every revision), and the complete specs of the machine; I can not go chasing links or PC specs myself...but guessing what you've post already I assume you have a SSE2-only cpu. Your best shot will be to install:

SSE2 (from the base.install.combos menu)

this menu is aviable only after you apply the PPF1. Dont choose any extra kernel or kexts. You can add sound, graphics and network drivers after you get the basic thing going.

Hello -I hope you dont mind me butting into your thread but I am also having problems with the bootloader and was hoping that someone might help me.

I am new to osx (2weeks), but I love it. -managed to install XxX 10.4.8 patched with ppf1&2, mD5 checked. -but just cant get it to boot without the install disc.

I used a standard SSE2 setup (except left out the CPU powermanagement kext -think I have HPET)

I tried 15 installs or so before i got it to boot into osx. The reason why is because I removed the DVD after each install (how I installed leopard) & when it rebooted I got a kernel panic. I was only when I went out & left it installing that I found out it could boot from the dvd. I know its a common problem, but I just cant find the right answer for my setup. I had similar kernel panic with JaS 10.4.8, perhaps that would have booted with the dvd in as well.

With the install dvd in it boots fine, without I always get this kernel panic (also what I have tried).

ACPI: System State [s0 s3 s4 s5] (S3)
Security auditing sevrvice present
disabled
From path: "uuid"
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 7Axxx-xxx etc
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1".IORescources</string><key>IOResourscematch
</key><string ID='2'>boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A3129): Unresolved Kernel trap (CPU 0, Type14=page fault),
registers: (left out)
Backtrace, Format -Frame : Return Address (4potential args on stack)
list of addresses (also left out)
backtrace terminated -invalid frame pointer 0x0
Darwin Kernel Kernel 8.9.1 May 2007 ToH:xnu 792.18.15/BUILD/obj/I386

heres what ive tried:
boot options;-v, -v -x, -v -s, -v -f,rd=disk0s4
setting partition active in terminal (ended up overwiting the mBR), also in windows.
installing MBR pc_efi_v8 from the install DVD

Does anyone have a suggestion suggest how I might boot without the install DVD?

I have been running a quad boot MBR_efi setup using grub to boot(xp, 2 x osx 10.5.2, Linux). I have been imaging one osx partition to the other as a backup whilst I experiment with the other. pc_efi_v8 is installed my linux parition and I use grub to run it to get to Darwin Bootloader, where I select the partition I want to boot. - I can stilll boot the remaining 10.5.2 partition without using the disc.

I really like XxX - it looks like a fantastic install disk, theres so many options if you want them & the ppf1 update makes it much easier to use for a newbie. --Im sorry to write such a long post but I just dont know which information is relevant. I have seen the "cant boot without the dvd problem" posted a few times, normally "blinking cursor". But the quad boot, grub, pc_efi_v8 in linux setup makes it more complicated.

MBR =>> Grub => PC_efi_v8 => Darwin Bootloader, thats all fine. Darwin gives me the option oto boot XP, Leopard or Tiger partitions. Tiger is the only one that wont boot without the install disk. Using the rd=disc0s4 boot option to boot tiger, I get the same kernel panic, but without the waiting for boot device UUID= XXX... line. So I cant see how altering my com.apple.Boot.plist will fix it.

Update:

I just noticed that when I boot Tiger without the disk, I dont see the PC_EFI message flash up breifly at the start that I see when I boot Leopard (kalyway 5.2). Maybe it didnt install. I didnt originally install MBR pc_efi_v8, but then I ran the install disc again & selected just that -it seemed to install. But if I run the disc again I still have the option to install it. .. so maybe It didnt & needed to be installed during the main osx install. So I need to wipe the partition & install again.. Thats assuming it would fix thing anyway. Also that partition is called "Macintosh HD", but it was before in leopard as well.

as you can see I am rather lost -but at least I can boot! ;)

TIA

is because 8.9.1 SSE2 kernel does not support efi and is probably necessary for your kalyway install. It boots from the DVD because is using the no-efi darwin bootloader on it.

so you can try the 8.11.1 kernel (you need to boot with -legacy flag) which is the only SSE2-efi.

Select:

-apple 10.4.11 update

-SSE2, from the base combos menu

-8.11.1, efi kernel from the kernel and kexts menu,

-Recommended patches

-dsmos.kext

at boot prompt type

-legacy

that might work

BlackCH

Thankyou for replying so quickly, very helpful of you.

I was a bit confused about EFI, efi_mbr_v8 & darwin. I had thought that you needed SSE3 to use "EFI proper", so I only tried before with the no-EFI kexts , I wouldnt have tried to install the way you suggest without your advice. Im reinstalling now, with the options you suggest -fingers crossed.

first boot wasnt successfull with -v -f -legacy, -v -s -legacy options:

It froze at: 2621 buffer header & 2621 clusters IO headers line, just a white box cursor below.

oh -now I am getting a kernel panic when I try to boot my Leopard partition even with the -v -s options (type8=divide error).

Maybe the new efi_v8 bootloader I just installed has messed up the boot process. :(

When I boot MBR => GRUB => pc_efi_v8 (in linux partition) => darwin bootloader.

The bootloader sees both OSX partitions. So Im guessing this XxX install has witten to (or written a new) Darwin Bootloader -and thats why I cant boot Leopard.

Where is the Darwin bootloader, in the boot track of the hard disk with the MBR? Do I now have two, one in each OSx partition, or just one that has been modified (to a no_efi Darwin bootloader) by latest install?

tried booting my Tiger partition using the XxX disk with the boot option -v -f rd=disk0s4

-it gets further into the boot, now it gets past the: boot device=UUID and BSD root= line OK, then kernel panic:

kernel trap at ...., (divide error=type8) kernel is listed as 8.8.1 semthex (?). very similar when I ty to boot leopard this way.

Also cant boot by starting with XxX disk in drive using no boot options, get to the loading 2621 buffer header & 2621 clusters IO headers line.

Booted into the installer using the -v -f -legacy boot options

=> Disk Utility => Tiger partition => repaired volume => repaired permissions -no volume or permission repairs necessary (!). Tried the same thing with my Leopard Partition & got a "no suitable boot volume was found" (or similar) (!!). Im hoping this is just because a tiger installer disk cant properly recognize a Leopard install.

So I could boot the installer using these options, erase my tiger volume & reinstall back to 10.4.8 & 8.9.1 kernel again; (maybe with a no_efi bootloader this time, like the install disk -and use the no_efi kexts). My system seemed to run quite well before when I used this setup (except that I didnt install any efi bootloaders) & booted with the disc in the drive.

Ill keep trying, any ideas? :P

From your link I saw that a new release is very close, looking forward to it.

Thankyou again for all your help (including the XxX disk itself). :D

BlackCH

Thankyou for replying so quickly, very helpful of you.

I was a bit confused about EFI, efi_mbr_v8 & darwin. I had thought that you needed SSE3 to use "EFI proper", so I only tried before with the no-EFI kexts , I wouldnt have tried to install the way you suggest without your advice.

Im reinstalling now, with the options you suggest -fingers crossed.

Update: first boot wasnt successfull. froze at: loading 2621 buffer header & 2621 clusters IO headers, just a white box cursor below. Ill keep trying: repairing permissions etc before I give up on this kernel.

oh -now I am getting a kernel panic when I try to boot my Leopard partition even with the -v -s options (type8=divide error).

Going to try booting with XxX install disc & repairing premission & filesystem. Maybe the new efi_v8 bootloader I jut installed has messed up the boot process. :wallbash:

Ill keep trying, any ideas?

Once I get it to boot, couldn't I just reinstall using the no efi bootloader that the install disc uses (with the 8.9.1 kernel & no efi kexts)? My system seemed to run quite well when I used this setup & booted with the disc in the drive.

From your link I saw that a new release is very close, Ill keep a lookout for it.

'loading 2621 buffer header & 2621 clusters':

Thats probably because you need to remove the CPUPowerManagement.kext. If you are able to remove that kext I guess it will work now. Otherwise reinstall.

Now lets understand something:

You cannot run kalyway EFI and XxX no-efi at the same time in the same HD. My guess is that Leo panics because now theres no EFI bootloader in your HD (you install the no-efi-darwin with Tiger). The thing is that if you already install many times, probably your boot sector is a mess. I would backup everything on a external HD and wipe the disk, but I guess you dont want to do that.

Your best shot with XxX will be to install the SSE2 base combo and all the recommended patches. Since you got tiger to boot already (eventhough you get a kernel panic), keep trying. DO NOT INSTALL ANY EFI PATCHES. Once you get that working you will have to fix your leo installation to work without EFI bootloader (replacing kexts/kernel probably. I dont use kaly's distros, so I cant exactly tell you what to replace).

the new release is coming next week. 10.4.11 isnt so new, but many people still using it, so I decided to make a last final updated version; will be a whole ISO 'cause the installer grew beyond its old size, and cannot be updated by PPF.

BlackCH

Again, thanks very much for all your help.

I think it's fantastic that you take the time to help a newbie like me.

You are right, my boot sector is a complete mess. The first osx install I tried was a little "hair raising" and I messed it up right at the start back then. At first I thought that this is normal with a hackintosh, but I am becoming increasingly aware that it doesnt have to work that way.

You last post really explained a few important facts that were missing in my understanding. I think that a wipe & restore/reinstall of the whole disk is probably a very good idea, I have some backups.. I have some thinking & planning to do first.

I have been working almost all the time on this for a couple of weeks now. Think i'l go outside & work on my tan -take some time off & say hello to the outside world, before I tackle something like that. Maybe new XxX will be ready by then.

I have really learnt a lot in the last 2 weeks, thanks again to you and all the InasanelyMac users, particularly wmarsh.

BlackCH:

i now have a fully working 10.4.11 system. Thanks to you dude.

However, looking at my log in console, i am recieving the "jnl: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5"

What seems to be the problem here?

As i said, my system is 100% fully functional. Im am just worried/wondering on what's the error is all about.

Thanks!

From apple support forums:

"That indicates that the disk device is returning EIO

when the journal asks the device to flush the track

cache. This can be a problem with the disk, with the

interface to the disk or with the driver for that type

of disk interface."...

I ignore if this is a problem related with the installer or a problem with your HD...Oviously is not hackintosh-only. But if you dont experiment freezes or extrange behavior I wouldnt worry. You could try 'repair disk' from diskutility booting from the install DVD.

Just wanted to let you know,finally Tiger 10.4.8 installed. Thanks to everyone for their help esp. BlackCH

quote:

Your best shot with XxX will be to install the SSE2 base combo and all the recommended patches.

absolutely right. I wiped & reinstalled my Drive, did a ghost restore on it. Then I installed tiger -no problems without the MBR-efi Leopard install sharing the drive..

(Tried to install 10.4.11 with EFI & NO_EFI but got kernel panics.)

Was amazed at how much faster it runs on my T42 than Leopard, especially after tweaking the Graphics .kexts. It boots up in less than 40 seconds including login, thats faster than Kubuntu.

Still configuring things. My biggest problem now is to get video & dvd working properly. At the moment I have AGP in legacy mode (AGP2 mode4 ) & can only pay mpeg & avi's -no dvd or .wmv,asf etc.

I am learning about device .kexts & configuration. Makes me wonder how well Leopard would run with a few tweaks... B)

hi, this is my first osx86 install. I'm using a dell d420 core solo and so far everything is going really well so thanks! I've managed to get wireless and sound working after searching the forums. The only thing which i know isn't working at the minute is sleep. It goes to sleep fine but when it wakes the display doesnt come back on. is there a fix for this that anyone knows of? sorry if theres an obvious answer to this!

also when i plug headphones in the sound plays through headphones and the speakers still, is there a way to sort this?