Emulating the Mac OS/OS X versions that Sheepshaver and PearPC can't

15 posts in this topic

As you know, PowerPC emulation of Mac OS/OS X is a pain in the butt.  Sheepshaver only emulates up to Mac OS 9.0.4, while PearPC only emulates Mac OS X 10.1 and up.

While looking on the Internet to find a way to emulate those version in between, I came across "QEMU on Windows".  Normally, this an Intel X86 virtualize program.  However, on that same site is a version which virtualizes a PowerPC computer.  This of course piqued my interest.

While looking around, though, my hope fell.  QEMU PPC apparently wasn't designed to run Mac OS X.  Rather, it's purpose is to run Linux PPC versions.  I haven't confirmed if Mac OS/OS X will actually run in QEMU alone, but it doesn't look likely.  If you want to try, go ahead.

Despite this setback, I went on searching and found something very interesting.  Mac-on-Linux is virtualization software that allows you to run Mac OS/OS X in Windows.  According to the site, it can run the Mac OS 9 versions that can't be run by SheepShaver, and can theorectically run versions of Mac OS X under 10.0.  The kicker is that this program requires a Linux computer running on a PowerPC processor.  I again was set back, when I realized a plan so simple it might just work.

Using QEMU on Windows PPC edition running a ligh Linux distro for PowerPC processors, it might just be possible to run Mac-on-Linux in that.  One problem is that it may be quite slow. On the other hand, Linux distros tend to light on resources, and QEMU comes with several built-in features that speed up virtualization.

So could this be possible?  Could we finally run Mac OS X experimental versions?  Possibly. I will try it out for myself, but I recommend that everyone tries this out.

double emulation would be slow... but what we are discussing here is virtualisation on top of emulation, which wouldnt be that bad. How about Mac-on-linux on top of PearPC?

.......or how about anyone interested gets a B&W for less than £20? surely thats easier?

PearPC is really slow..super slow. I really do not expect double virtualization to be faster, in fact its going to be slower which defeats the objective anyway. It would be amusing to do but don't expect any real work from it.

• 1 month later...