BadAxe2 with GUID and EFI Tutorial

BJMoose

144 posts in this topic

BJMOOSE,

Yeah, it's a bad axe2. I installed perfectly just like you mentioned, no problem at all! It's amazing how easy it was. I patched the sound ect. Everything was working perfectly. But then when I installed leopard, created a new partition taking up the whole drive, effectively deleting os 10.4.9 which was installed perviously. Basically a fresh install. I downloaded the Leopard "GM 9a581 Patched for Intel PCs (SSE3 ONLY) and Patch" and then did this fresh install. After all was done, and I did a post patch as the instructions directed, it now will not read anything bootable on the hard drive. I've now downloaded the "ToH x86 9A581 RC2.iso" The first torrent is Brazilmac, correct? Thats what the iso claimed to be. Anyway, I'm puzzled as to how brazilmac would not have installed, since I have read that it should have worked. So if I'm understanding you correctly, once you've installed the EFI correctly, you can used the retail method if you just add several kexts that you mentioned? I would LOVE to install that way, it sounds amazing! You guys are geniuses for figuring that out. If you could direct me to a tutorial for this method, I believe you guy have mentioned most of it, just to efi part which I don't understand where I get those files and then exactly how I patch them in. Also, if you have any insights as to why brazilmac would not work, they'd be much appreciated. The partition I created was set as bootloader, and I changed "configure sata as" option in the bios to ahci instead of ide. Thanks so much for your response, BJMOOSE

Greybaby

@ BJMoose

@ zzak

@ joelones

Want to thank all of you for your help and advice to get my bad axe 2 with GUID PARTITION TABLE. Go it finally with a little bit of your guides. My motherboard way needs ubuntu7.1 installed... without ubuntu there is no way to set/write changes into efi partition... talking of last step "dd if... boot0..."

People having problems like me can try it... just need a 3GB partition to install ubuntu 7.1 manually (2GB for root "/" and one for swap".

how to:

1. using a patched DVD partition HDD GUID scheme reserving a small 3GB partition for ubuntu

2. install ubuntu

3. Return to Leopard DVD and install, apply patches. reboot and apply efi as per above members guides.

i Know it is the hard way, but... if it all fails, you still have hope.

unfortunately once installed Leopard i've lost access to ubuntu and if i delete 3GB partition i'll lose access to Leopard... so can't recover this 3GB space back.

request joelones help editing your guide or posting here a step by step how to in order to get multi-boot access efi Leopard/ubuntu.

btw... I'm happy as under heavy load my BadAXE2 performed fast and flawlessly.

Once again: Thanks all of u.

Thanks for the guide - working just fine on my bx2 here! ;) 1 thing tho is a prob with networking which mostly starts up as in-active... i have to go to network in sys prefs and run the assistant wizard to select lan connection for it to update... any clue? I've also noticed that the ethernet connection i'm using is shown not connected (red) even when it is...

Thanks for the guide - working just fine on my bx2 here! ;) 1 thing tho is a prob with networking which mostly starts up as in-active... i have to go to network in sys prefs and run the assistant wizard to select lan connection for it to update... any clue? I've also noticed that the ethernet connection i'm using is shown not connected (red) even when it is...

This sounds like the exact same problem I'm having - no network connection until I run the assistant. The assistant says it fails to establish a connection, but the network is connected in the background. At all times, the Network control panel says the cable is unplugged :D

I'm not at my hackintosh ATM, but I believe I might have found a source to some of the cause of my problems. All of my .kext patches & so forth were downloaded using Safari 3 on a MacBook running Leopard, and all of the files have the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute set (see the posting from quelg in this topic). I'm hoping this is the cause of the network problem, with some portion of IONetworkingFamily.kext or some another kext going unnoticed because of that attribute. You might want to check to see if you also have this problem - I won't be able to test my theory until later tonight at the earliest. And do let me know if you can resolve the problem!

Hey...

Just tried running "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine IONetworkingFamily.kext" as i did have com.apple.quarantine on it. Still no joy tho :/... Did you edit the Intel82XX driver inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext with any device id's at all?

Hey...Just tried running "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine IONetworkingFamily.kext" as i did have com.apple.quarantine on it. Still no joy tho :/... Did you edit the Intel82XX driver inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext with any device id's at all?
Files within the kext will also have the attribute set. I'd go the brute force method, you'll probably have more than one kext affected:
cd /System/Library/Extensionssudo find . -name "*" | xargs xattr -d com.apple.quarantine

(Ignore warnings for files that don't have the attribute.)Then touch ../Extensions, remove kext & kernel caches, and reboot.But either way, you'd probably need to correct the attribute within the kext file contents, not just the enclosing .kext folder.

Did you edit the Intel82XX driver inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext with any device id's at all?
I did try adding a string a some point, but it didn't help. Note that I haven't tried removing the quarantine attribute from my kext yet, though. I can't remember the value I tried to add.

Thanks again :hysterical: just tried that and rebooted with -f -v... booted fine with networking all good on startup too! still shows as not connected in sys prefs > network tho...

I also ran "sudo find . -name "*" | xargs xattr -d com.apple.quarantine" on dsmos and nvinject - these are the only 2 kexts added from a brazil patched dvd install (no post-patch applied tho)...

Thanks again :thumbsup_anim: just tried that and rebooted with -f -v... booted fine with networking all good on startup too! still shows as not connected in sys prefs > network tho...

I also ran "sudo find . -name "*" | xargs xattr -d com.apple.quarantine" on dsmos and nvinject - these are the only 2 kexts added from a brazil patched dvd install (no post-patch applied tho)...

I tried the same last night - removed the attribute from all kexts & kext contents. But still the same problem with networking. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Might look into a different motherboard altogether. Let me know if you manage to resolve the problem.

Sweet. Issue solved...!

I replaced AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext with the one from 10.4.3 and repaired perms on IONetworking.kext etc - networking is now fine and even lit as green and connected in network prefs!

HTH...

Edit: Looking further at the info.plist file in AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext of 10.4.3 (the working one) it had differences with the one i had in Leo - I guess this version could just be tweaked to suit? I digress tho... it works now and i'm being pedantic! :blink:

Sweet. Issue solved...!

I replaced AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext with the one from 10.4.3 and repaired perms on IONetworking.kext etc - networking is now fine and even lit as green and connected in network prefs!

HTH...

Edit: Looking further at the info.plist file in AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext of 10.4.3 (the working one) it had differences with the one i had in Leo - I guess this version could just be tweaked to suit? I digress tho... it works now and i'm being pedantic! :rolleyes:

You've given me new hope! Just to clarify - you're using the Vanilla Leopard IONetworkingFamily.kext, except for replacing AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext with the 10.4.3 version? I'll be sure to try this again tonight. Thanks for the help!

You've given me new hope! Just to clarify - you're using the Vanilla Leopard IONetworkingFamily.kext, except for replacing AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext with the 10.4.3 version? I'll be sure to try this again tonight. Thanks for the help!

Using IONetworking from the pkg on this site: http://mckill.ca/?p=24 wanted to install Maya so used that one... should be fine with vanilla tho... give it a try!

Peace!

Here is what I did:

First, my hardware:

E4500

"Bad Axe 2" (the one with the SP/DIF)

2gb G.Skil 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800mhz

SATA HDD

IDE DVD-RW DL

Ok. I installed onto one HDD using a "normal" Brazilmac method (Kalyway "make HD boot" CD, then brazilmac modified DVD, then brazilmac post patches, then TADA -- working system, no efi)

Now. I installed my second HDD and booted up. Partitioned it with GUID, one big partition.

Installed pc_efi 8. No 8, then 7, then 8. Just 8.

Stuck in my retail purchased OSX 10.5 DVD, opened terminal, then followed the instructions in post #11 in this thread.

Here, I shut down the machine, removed my working Brazilmac install HDD, and set my new "vanilla" install in place of my Brazilmac HDD. I tried to boot, but it stopped on the grey Apple logo screen with the whirrling circle thingie. This is where I remembered that I forgot to copy / set permissions/ownership of dsmos.kext.

Booted back into my Brazilmac HDD (with my "vanilla HDD also connected), copied the "dsmos.kext" from my working Brazilmac install to the newly installed "vanilla" install.

Shut down, put my "vanilla" install back as the primary drive and booted. IT WORKED!

I'm letting it do *all* updates right now. I'll see what happens. I did notice my SATA drive was orange, but I've seen fixes for that elsewhere. Also, my sound did not work, but I have the patcher and proper .txt file for the card on this machine, so I can also fix that later. Lastly, my video card did not have QE/whatever else (it was in software mode). It's a 7300le with 256mb. I'm sure that, if the 10.5.1 update doesn't fix it, the nvinject patches will.

Thanks to those who got this all together in this one thread!

(Ok -- the updates just finished installing and the machine is rebooting now. Yes! It booted! I'm at the desktop now. Same problems as before (no sound, etc), but I can fix that later.)

Thanks again, everyone!

Hi all I would like to thanks BJMoose for the best instruction.

I did perfectly create the GUID partition on my BaDAxe2 but when I try to install Brazilmac patched DVD I got kernel panic right before the installation.Please help

Here is the screenshot

post-49499-1197100842_thumb.jpg

Thanks again

i had probs installing (install would fail and kernel panics) when my ram (4GB - 4x 1GB sticks of OCZP800R22GK) was set at incompatible timings/voltages - even tho I googled settings for use on this board. Eventually I found the settings that worked for me and it's been good since then (i ran memtest in single user mode to confirm)...

I can't get Time Machine or Sound working under PC EFI 5.2. Any tips? I've tried a few different IONetworkingFamily binaries as well as kexts without any luck; for Sound I've tried two different files as well as HDApatcher 1.16 and 1.17. No luck so far. Other than that everything is peachy.

HI thelogic

Thanks for the answer, I would like to know how do you run memtest in single user mode.Thanks

Hey.

Soz - the memtest i meant is a seperate application. You can get it here: http://www.memtestosx.org/ I used another version before in XP which was free but this osx version asks for $1.39 before you can download it. Anyway, once downloaded put the dir somewhere (ie, Apps/Utilities) then boot into single user mode, go to the dir of memtest and then just type 'memtest'... simple!

g'luck!

Using IONetworking from the pkg on this site: http://mckill.ca/?p=24 wanted to install Maya so used that one... should be fine with vanilla tho... give it a try!

Peace!

Thanks for the link, but still no joy for me. I'm in the process of re-installing everything starting from scratch. I think I started out with too many problems to begin with. Now that I have some experience, I'm hoping a clean install (with maybe a replacement using this kext) will fix the problem...

I thought that someone would make a better guide for this because I have the toh install for my bad axe 2 and there is special kexts (aka bad efi kexts) that are put on the install. Would there be a way to make this guide include a way to remove these kexts so the efi installation can be done correctly. Also I want to remain having windows on my efi 8.0 install with guid, is guid necessary or possible. Can i have the older bootloader style with the new efi 8? Thanks, these questions would be great if they could be answered, I really need someones help.

Bad Axe2

Q6600

Pioneer DVR-111D

Just a quick update - my system is working fine now using the 10.4.3 IONetworkingfamily kext (on both an external USB drive installation of BrazilMac/EFI5.2, and on a SATA/GUID installation of Leopard using the retail DVD). I may play around with the PCI bridge/Networking vendor & device IDs to see if I can get things working without replacing the entire kext, but for now I'm finally happy with my Bad axe 2 :D

We installed efi/vanilla kernal with sort of a hybrid of the installer mentioned here. We used TOH but did some different things and got the vanilla kernal working. We had boot problems, so we had to boot form the disk. we did the update and repaired permissions. Somwher in all that, is started booting fine. Does anybody have any idea why that would be? Does repairing permissions help the boot

thanks for all you guys contribute!

Greybaby

A new TOH/Brazilmac patch "Best Post-Patch around... EFI vX, Fdisk, Boot Sector, Vanilla + hacked Kernel + Kexts and Boot.plist edits"

Since there are many people who have not setup efi because they are having issues, this might be able to help out the issue by simplifying the process.

Please BJ Moose or any other EFI installer professional, please test this out for Bad Axe 2 to make sure that this patch is worthy of working well on the BA2. I really need this because I have serious issues with getting the TOH disk to be EFI. Please make a detailed step to step guide about suing this all-in-one patch with the bad axe 2.