BadAxe2 with GUID and EFI Tutorial

BJMoose

144 posts in this topic

Step by Step BadAXE2 GUID + EFI Instructions:

First the theory behind this tutorial: For some reason, the GUID OS System partition needs to be made active manually. It is not handled automatically by the GUID partitioning scheme as with other motherboards.

As for the EFI bootloader, it appears that currently, it is necessary to first install boot_v8, then boot_v7.4_guid_only, and then boot_v8 once again.

You can prepare the disk partitions entirely prior to actually installing the OS on its partition. My advice is that once you have the basic Leo installation on your system and it is tweaked the way you want it, make and image of it with DiskUtility and your life will be a lot easier the next time you want to experiment with things.

It appears that if you re-install the OS from scratch, you have to go through all of the EFI steps again. I am not certain about that because I have not had enough time to test all the different scenarios.

What you will need:

• Your Brazilmac patched DVD
  • PC-EFI versions 7.4 and 8
  • A separate disk with Tiger/Leo already installed (you could do this from Terminal on the Boot Disk, but for the purpose of this tutorial, I chose to use an external USB Tiger drive)

I am assuming that you already know the method of installing EFI. There are tons of tutorials all over Insanely Mac giving excellent instructions about this.

Ready to prepare the disk:

Boot to your Tiger/Leo install disk. In Disk Utility, choose the disk you want to make your GUID disk. Partition it in any number of partitions you want. I chose to make two partitions on my disk. Under Options, remember to choose GUID.

In Terminal, type "diskutil list" to discover the disk id of your GUID partition. If you made two partitions, you will actually see three. In my case, it shows:

Disk0s1 = EFI

Disk0s2 = Leopard

Disk0s3 = Mac Data

You will want to check this each time you change your EFI because it can change and you do not want to lose all of your hard work by making a silly mistake.

Once you have partitioned your drive, add boot_v8 to your GUID disk and reboot to your Tiger/Leo disk.

Now it is time to make your GUID partition Active:

Here's how to make an active GUID partition…

Open terminal from your Tiger/Leo disk

Enter: diskutil list (to determine what your OSX GUID partition id is)

E.G. *rdisk0s2 (GUID OS partition)

Now type:

sudo –s (press enter)

password: (type your password and press enter)

Only type what it in italics below:

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (X = 0 in my case)

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f Y (Y = the 'Y' in your rdiskXsY…in my case it was 2)

Partition 2 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

bash-3.2# reboot

Your system will now reboot to your Tiger/Leo disk and patch EFI v7.4 (boot_v7_guid_only) and reboot again.

(Not Necessary) If you want, you can Click F10 while your system is booting up. When the menu with all your drives appears, highlight the one that has your GUID partition and hit Enter and then F8. Your bootloader with EFI and GUID partitions will appear.

Now boot back to your Tiger/Leo disk and add EFI v8 once again. At this point, your disk is ready for installing your OS.

Reboot to your Brazilmac install DVD and install your OS. You can use the Brazilmac post patch method if you like. I did not. At this point, I just added dsmos.kext and NVinject.kext and did the permissions. YMMV. You are done!

This looks like a lot of work, but it is really very simple and quick. Naturally, the installation of the OS is what takes the most time.

I think all is finally well, what a hellish three days that was. I've just vanilla updated to 10.5.1 and everything seems to work, except I've got those yellow disk icons (which apparently there's an easy fix for). I think all is finally well, what a hellish three days that was. I've just vanilla updated to 10.5.1 and everything seems to work, except I've got those yellow disk icons (which apparently there's an easy fix for).

Everything seems to be working so fat with EFI v_8 (with 7.4 I suppose) on my:

D975XBX2, E6600, radeon x1300

Thanks so much to Netkas, IAM ME, and BJ Moose.

EDIT: Big yellow icons are a result of SATA in AHCI mode, look like normal in IDE mode.

Also, can't seem to get the Airport Atheros working under this version (worked fine with my non-efi patched flat install).

My card is the TEW-443PI, which has worked previously with 10.5.1 using the old 10.4.5 IO80211FAMILY.KEXT - with plist address edit.

Perhaps there is another patched kext that this relies on??

Well, cheers -

P.S. this was installed with a legally purchased retail copy of leopard.

This looks really promising - I can't wait to give it a try. And it looks like I'll finally have a fix for those yellow icons :D

BJMoose: Just to clarify, you only applied dsmos.kext from pc_efi_v80, but not AppleSMBIOS.kext and no postpatching? I have to try that - perhaps it's this modified AppleSMBIOS.kext that's been giving me headaches with the built-in networking.

As I said - can't wait to give it a try, and I'll be sure to report how it goes. My system is currently on hold (haven't tranferred data or installed new software) until I can work out the networking bug at least.

Thanks again!

Hey guys,

been playing around with the guid partition scheme and the bad axe 2 board. you don't need 7.4. i applied 8.0 as per netkas' instructions and then made the osx installation partition active with fdisk. that did the trick for the ba2 booting guid issue.

later

This looks really promising - I can't wait to give it a try. And it looks like I'll finally have a fix for those yellow icons :(

BJMoose: Just to clarify, you only applied dsmos.kext from pc_efi_v80, but not AppleSMBIOS.kext and no postpatching? I have to try that - perhaps it's this modified AppleSMBIOS.kext that's been giving me headaches with the built-in networking.

As I said - can't wait to give it a try, and I'll be sure to report how it goes. My system is currently on hold (haven't tranferred data or installed new software) until I can work out the networking bug at least.

Thanks again!

Yes, when I created my second Brazilmac patched disk, I had already discovered on the MBR disk that most of the vanilla kexts worked. So I erased the remove and replace appleSMBIOS from the patch file and built the disk with the original kext. The only thing I added on the GUID disk was dsmos and nvinject. I just did all this last night and I plan on adding other vanilla kexts to the GUID one at a time to see what works and what doesn't. The pretty much all worked on the MBR disk.

@ BJMoose and Bad Axe2 GUId users

Try install with non-pre patch DVD (6.6G).

EFI and Guid partition make it possible to install with that . It's one of the guid partition befit and much fast and little more close to the real.

@BJMoose

All install procedure as same as what you did, but install dvd is little different.

Here how.

Require ..

Non-pre patch DVD (6.6G) ( burn dvd from 105.dmg) GM.vers.

Create guid partition , patch efi and mount a DVD within Leo (MBR).

Open terminal and type

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

open osinstall.mpkg (enter)

Then, you will see the familiar pop-up window , choose guid partition disk and install.

Open the itunes and listen music during the installing leo if you want, no more watching black screen.

This method can apply with some pre-patch leo DVD into /System/Installation/Packages forder.

No luck for me ;) Toggling between efi 7.4 & 8.0, all I ever get at boot time is "b0 error". Not sure what I might have done wrong. I think my next steps for trying to crack this GUID thing might be to get a second SATA drive & do a MBR installation of tiger, then try zzak's method of installing from my retail DVD.

<sigh>

Dter, I've had some more time to play with this and I don't really have to go from 8 to 7.4 to 8 and I don't have to do all that rebooting either. Here's an easier way to do this. Joelones has gotten it to work with just v8. I can't seem to do that yet. Here's a simplified version:

1. Partition your GUID drive

2. Find the proper ID in either DU or Terminal

3. In Terminal do a sudo -s and password

4. Then type diskutil unmountDisk diskX (X being your proper disk id)

5. Add EFI v7.4 to GUID drive using properly edited efi.sh

6. When it asks you to reboot type 'n'

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for EFI v8

8. While still in terminal make your GUID volume active

9. Reboot (you can check F10 if you want to make sure your volume is bootable)

10.Install OS and add whatever post kexts you want and repair permissions

Thanks BJMoose! I've finally managed to get a GUID installation booting now. I installed mac.nub on an exernal USB drive to speed things along. My basic steps followed yours pretty closely:

1) Formatted single GUID partition from 10.4.

2) Installed EFI 8.0 & rebooted.

3) Activated partition w/ fdisk.

4) Installed EFI 7.4, rebooted, then EFI 8.0 again.

5) Rebooted & installed BrazilMac.

At this point, the GUID partition was definitely booting, although basic Brazilmac hung during startup. Moved vanilla kernel, vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext, and dsmos.kext goot the new partition, and removed AppleIntelCPUpowermanagement.kext. So now the GUID partition boots fine on through to fruition.

Unfortunately, I'm still plagued by my miserable built-in networking problems (detailed in another thread). I've tried Brazilmac IONetworkingFamily, vanilla IONetworkingFamily, and specially-patched IONetworkingFamily, but still no dice. (Incidentally, I have a very similar networking issue while in mac.nub 10.4.10.) I'm thinking of possibly RMAing this board unless I can figure out what's going on.

But apart from that, GUID booting is working fine, as is just about everything else. One bug remaining until I consider it perfect...

@BJMoose

All install procedure as same as what you did, but install dvd is little different.

Here how.

Require ..

Non-pre patch DVD (6.6G) ( burn dvd from 105.dmg )

Create guid partition , patch efi and mount a DVD within tiger/Leo (MBR).

Open terminal and type

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

open osinstall.mpkg (enter)

Then, you will see the familiar pop-up window , choose guid partition disk and install.

Open the itunes and listen music during the installing leo if you want, no more watching black screen.

This method can apply with some pre-patch leo DVD into /System/Installation/Packages forder.

Please elaborate on all the steps you took to achieve this.

What was installed before? and how exactly does this work?

Oof - bad news for me. According to Network Utility, my bad axe 2 has an Intel 82573L network controller. Doing a search on this site, it seems this one has a history of problems. The only successes have been with using the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext on Tiger. Tried this kext on leopard and still a no go :wacko:

So now, I'm debating whether to look for a cheap, supported PCI networking card, or try to swap out the mobo & hope for a different controller.

BJMoose & others - can you verify that your board is using a different network controller? Is anyone using a network solution (wireless or otherwise) other than the built-in that they'd like to recommend?

Thanks!

Oof - bad news for me. According to Network Utility, my bad axe 2 has an Intel 82573L network controller. Doing a search on this site, it seems this one has a history of problems. The only successes have been with using the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext on Tiger. Tried this kext on leopard and still a no go :D

So now, I'm debating whether to look for a cheap, supported PCI networking card, or try to swap out the mobo & hope for a different controller.

BJMoose & others - can you verify that your board is using a different network controller? Is anyone using a network solution (wireless or otherwise) other than the built-in that they'd like to recommend?

Thanks!

I am running a bad axe 2 with the same network controller with no problems. It ran fine under 10.4.8-11 (Jas) and now 10.5.0 and 10.5.1. (vanilla w/efi) Never needed anything other than what came with the distribution. I did a flat installation and then EFI and replaced kernel w/vanilla. I haven't tried it at gigabit because the router I am using only has 100Mb ports (first generation square airport extreme piece of {censored}.)

hey guys,

booted up the retail dvd using mWMA's script (as found in another post) as a base and added the needed kexts for my setup on a bad axe 2 (dsmos,AppleSMBIOS,NVinject,IONetwork fix and of course removed AppleIntelCPU..). the dvd booted up fine, install ran without errors. i did not replace OSInstall because i'm running guid. two things needed after install: apply pc efi v80 and replace the aforementioned kexts, the ones you put in

"Extensions" in the installed volume.

here it is if you missed it.

Required:

• Mkboot package (credit goes to satan_himself)
  • Retail GM DVD as specified in the variable DMG
  • PC EFI v80 package
  • Kexts you would like to be installed in the directory "Extensions" (dsmos,AppleSMBIOS,NVinject,IONetworkFamily)

*put files in the mkboot directory, specified by APDIR*

#!/bin/sh

APDIR=/Volumes/Data/mkboot
DMG="osx-leopard105.dmg"
installer="/Volumes/osx86dvd2"	# either /dev/diskXsY or /Volumes/SomeName
size=7680								   # resulting image size in megabytes
volname="osx86dvd"				   # volume name
imgname="$volname"				  # output image file name
loader="pc_efi_v80/boot_v8"		# path to PC EFI boot_vXx file

cpfix () 
{
cp -r ./$1 $2
chown -R root:wheel $2
chmod -R 755 $2
}
cd $APDIR

echo Converting DMG to editable image...
hdiutil convert $DMG -format UDTO -o $APDIR/leopard.iso

echo Mounting new ISO read-write...
hdiutil attach -readwrite $APDIR/leopard.iso.cdr -owners on

echo Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...
sleep 5

echo Renaming image to osx86dvd2...
diskutil rename /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/ osx86dvd2

##### Remove old files #####

echo Removing Extensions...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd2/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd2/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd2/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

echo Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd2/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 

##### Adding necessary files #####

echo Replacing extensions...
for kext in `ls Extensions`; do
cpfix Extensions/$kext /Volumes/osx86dvd2/System/Library/Extensions/
done

echo ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!

echo Begin image processing

cp -f "$loader" boot/boot
cp -f cdstub boot/cdboot
dd if=boot/boot of=boot/cdboot bs=2048 seek=1 conv=sync

rm -f boot/.DS_Store

./mkisofs -V "$volname" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -c boot.cat -b cdboot -o boot.iso boot

bblocks=`hdiutil pmap boot.iso | awk '/Apple_ISO/ { print $5 }'`
blocks=$(( $size * 2048 ))

# change type to UDIF if you want an iso image (just rename the resulting dmg)
img=`hdiutil create -sectors $blocks -type SPARSE -layout NONE -ov "$imgname" | awk '{ print $2 }'`
dev=`hdiutil attach -readwrite -nomount "$img"`
rdev=`echo $dev | sed s/disk/rdisk/`

pdisk $rdev -initialize
slice=`pdisk $rdev -createPartition "$volname" Apple_HFS $bblocks $(( $blocks - $bblocks ))`

dd if=boot.iso of=$rdev skip=64 seek=64 bs=512
rm boot.iso

vol=${rdev}s${slice}

echo Removing files and useless stuff
rm -rf "$APDIR"/leopard.iso.cdr
asr restore --source "$installer" --target $vol --erase --noprompt

echo ALL Done !!

@zzak: I've used your method of installing my retail copy of Leopard. It worked great. All I had to do was add dsmos and nvinject. Thanks.

@joelones: Thanks for your post. I was looking at that yesterday and decided to try zzak's method first. This is great having all these different choices that work. I'm running out of hard drives. ;)

bjmoose, which method of zzaks? didn't see it on these forums. was it posted elsewhere in detail? you're right. we have SO many options now.

It's really pretty simple once you set up your drive as bootable guid, just do what zzak says in his post #11.

This is so frustrating - I tried zzak's method first (from a mac.nub MBR installation) and the retail Leopard DVD, and got: Open Failed Couldn't open "OSInstall.mpkg". I'm beginning to wonder if I really have a bad axe 2 board at this point :)

This is so frustrating - I tried zzak's method first (from a mac.nub MBR installation) and the retail Leopard DVD, and got: Open Failed Couldn't open "OSInstall.mpkg". I'm beginning to wonder if I really have a bad axe 2 board at this point :thumbsdown_anim:

I got the same thing when I did a 'sudo -s' in terminal. Try it without 'sudo -s'. Worked for me using both a Tiger USB external drive and a Leopard MBR internal drive.

I recently bought a badax mobo, I was wondering if installing the aforementioned way, the one at the beginning of the thread, requires one to have a working installation of tiger or leopard to install. I've not had, as of yet, any luck getting leopard to work on my board! Obviously it has to do with my not having installed the efi thing. If there is a good tutorial, and places where I can get the efi that would help. I'm getting the toh version, i've only installed with brazil mac and done post patch. What is the easiest install? Sorry I"m a little off topic from last replies, those methods sound interesting but probably to hard for me.

Thanks!

Greybaby

@Greybaby: Did you buy a BadAxe2 board or just the BadAxe? If you have the BA2, you should have no problem getting Tiger installed with everything up and running out of the box except sound which requires a patch. Kalyway, XxX, uphuck, Mac.Nub, JaS versions should all work without any need for efi. Do a search for Brazilmac and follow his tutorial about how to patch an original Leopard disk to reduce it to a single layer DVD-R that will install on your PC.

If your drive is formatted as MBR, Brazilmac will install natively and install with his patched kexts and kernel. EFI simply lets you use the original kexts and kernel and update your system directly through Apple. As you've read in this thread, GUID allows for even more flexibility. As zzak and joelones point out, and as I can verify, with a GUID formatted drive and EFI, you can install the original retail disk with all the original files (at least on the BadAxe2). You only need to add dsmos.kext and your gfx kext (nvinject etc). Hope this helps.