USB Ethernet

antaholics

40 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I'll buy an apple usb lan adapter today. I hope it works on my DellBook 1420 ;) with 10.5.4.

Downloading usbkexts just in case...

Thanks Macgirl

• 3 weeks later...

I brought an apple usb to ethernet adapter and it worked like a charm. Out of the box. The only little problem now is that Time Machine doesn't work while the adapter is disconnected, any ideas ?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i got an arkview usb gigabit lan adaptor from amazon for $30

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XFVZ5G

it works fine in windowz

and then downloaded the ax88178 driver from

http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

and it worked on the first reboot after installing but after that it is doing the same thing as it did previously - self assigned ip

i tried -f - no go -

i don't know if i should try taking out the appleusbgigethernet.kext from the ionetworkingfamily.kext or if i should try adding my device id to it ?

i tried to add my device id to appleusbgigethernet.kext before loading the usbax8817x.kext but it didn't work -

according to the document from the cd for the unit - my vid = 0b95 and pid = 1780

i tried copying one section of the entries in the kext and then change the<key> name and then prod and ven numbers

is that the right way to add another pid and vid ?

or should i just overwrite the pid and vid on one of the existing entries ?

i guess i will try each way and see if anything will work

--- well that was fun - i deleted the appleusbgigethernet.kext and it would not boot - after i put it back - now it is working even when i reboot the machine

the only anomaly was that in single user when i did fsck -fy - it found a problem with 1 file that i didn't recognize and didn't pay it much attention - i don't remember what it was now - it did not seem significant to me - but what do i know

this episode was using the iatkos5i version 10.5.5 that i haven't updated because then i lose my intel pro 100 ethernet and have not found a way to get that to work even though i have tried about 10 different things found on this site ...

now i will try and see if anything or the same process will make my retail 10.5.4 updated to 10.5.6 start working - it currently is doing the same thing as the iatkos5i - worked the first reboot but after that self assigned ip again ...

well i just rebooted iatkos5i and the usb ethernet got a self assigned address again - i guess this is just a hit or miss thing ...

pretty weird - it looks like if i boot the machine without the usb gb lan plugged in and wait until it fully boots - then plug the usb gb lan adaptor in - i get a good ip address ...

so that sounds like maybe the apple driver is catching it first on boot but if it is not there then after the boot the custom driver gets it ? ? ?

now i think i gotta try to figure out how to keep the apple driver from seeing it first on boot up .

• 1 month later...

Trying out Mac girl's kext on a Gateway 7811FX laptop with the apple USB2Ethernet (which did not work right out the box with vanilla iDeneb 1.3 (Leo 5.5)

Edit UPDATE:

Worked perfectly just tossed the two kext(which were missing) into the the extensions folder and tadda immediately asked me to setup my new ethernet device. Thanks mac girl! (and I'm posting this from my now working 7811fx hackintosh)

• 3 weeks later...
On regular non-osx86 websites I've read that this doesn't work with Windows.

It DOES work with windows. http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/win...hernet-adapter/

Seems it's based on the Linksys USB200M drivers. which unfortunately don't work with Windows x64. But 32-bit XP, Vista and 7 are fine.

Also, Apple USB Ethernet works out of the box with JaS 10.5.4 and iATKOS 10.5.5.

• 1 month later...

I know i shouldn't revive old threads... but, can someone make a driver for dm9601 please?

I have a radio broadcast which i have to host from my Mac, but the Ethernet died, i bought a dm9601, and found out that it didn't work.

The radio broadcast doesn't work on windows, as NiceCast only works on OSX

Please can someone create a kext or something so that it will work?

Many thanks,

DJ FiREWiRE.

(AKA Spo0onMan)

• 2 months later...

I have a tlink SR9600 USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Running Jas Mac OS X 10.5.4.

I am getting below in the 'System Profile' under USB section.

USB Network Controller:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Product ID: 0x8101

Serial Number:

Vendor ID: 0x0fe6

That means the device is identified, but its not working.

I have AppleUSBEthernet.kext already, but not working I guess

Here is the some part of system log:

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 15.592 Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 15.592 USBLEGCTLSTS value c0000000

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 15.592 Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 15.592 acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE0@1F,1/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN0@0/AppleIntelPIIXPATA/ATADeviceNub@0/AppleATADiskDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST380011A ST380011A/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 8@8

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: BSD root: disk1s8, major 14, minor 9

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: Resetting IOCatalogue.

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 0

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1

May 30 07:34:34: --- last message repeated 4 times ---

May 30 07:34:34 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

May 30 07:34:36: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

May 30 07:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: AppleLPC::start - RCBA not enabled

May 30 07:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1

May 30 07:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: Apple16X50ACPI2: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR2

May 30 07:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

May 30 07:34:36 localhost kernel[0]: Apple16X50UARTSync2: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

• 9 months later...