[Trick] Reset anyones password w/o any authentication

~pcwiz

9 posts in this topic

Trick: Reset anyones password without any authentication

This trick takes advantage of a little loophole in XP. This trick may work for older Windows OSes as well but its only confirmed working in XP. This trick will not work on Vista by default unless you have personally enabled the Administrator account.

By default, when you install Windows an account called "Administrator" is created. It is usually not visible during normal operation and it is hidden. By default in XP and maybe older systems this account is enabled my default. On Vista, this account is disabled by default so unless you enabled it, it will not work.

Simple trick, here are the steps:

1) Reboot your computer and tap F8 before Windows loads to get to the Advanced Startup Menu options

2) Choose Safe Mode and hit Enter

3) At the login screen, there will be users listed. Among them should be the Administrator account.

4) Click on the Administrator account. If it shows up with a password field, just leave it blank and hit enter. If it continues to ask for a password then someone must have set a password for the account

5) Once you're in, you can go into Control Panel and change the User passwords!

WOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!

I discovered that the first day of XP. But mostly all installs if they are made by a shiny windows cd are required for you to set this.

But, great for n00bz! LOL!!

I wouldn't call it a loophole or a trick. It is by design. And not unique to the windows os. The administrator is able to reset the users password, hence the name administrator. The problem with windows os is that there are too many cases where you need to be the administrator to be able to use it in everyday life.

Yeah I know its not amazing and I found out the trick LOOOOOOOOONG ago when XP first came out but some n00bs may not have figured it out yet and it is a simple trick so I posted it. And MS corrected the problem in Vista by disabling the Admin account by default so you can sorta consider it a "loophole"

Yes, the first pw you enter on install is for the true admin.

You can also find the true admin on win2k, but easier to get at.

Note: with tweakui for xp, there's a setting to make the true admin appear as a user, so no need to unhide it through safe mode.

Of course, try using your windows in a reduced mode, or at least a regular admin. No real need for the true admin for a regular xp pro user.

i just don't see the point of this though. who doesn't set an admin password when setup prompts you to make a password...

also, you don't need to be in safe mode either. at login screen, hit ctrl alt del twice and then a login screen will appear. type in administrator as username