pentium d and efi_patch?

khaled_acmilan

33 posts in this topic

the 8.11.1 by ToH give me a kernel panic (something about CPU ID)....

Im using the 8.10.1 (10.4.10) kernel with 10.4.11. + EFI 8. All stock kexts. Everything works fine; no kernel flags needed over here.... Pentium d 925 + i945G

Thanks for you reply Blackchungo, I'm going to try other Kernels, maybe using your wonderful installer.

With MacOS 10.4.11 I've tried two installers ToH and Tubgirl. The -f Kernel Flag is also needen with Leopard ToH.

Maybe is my motherboard, or it's bios options, maybe if I turn on again in bios CPUID, but as I remember it caused me the About This Mac problem.

If you have not the -f Kernel Flag problem, then, this gives me hope.

THANKS A LOT BLACKCHUNGO :( .

Greetings from México City

the 8.11.1 by ToH give me a kernel panic (something about CPU ID)....

Im using the 8.10.1 (10.4.10) kernel with 10.4.11. + EFI 8. All stock kexts. Everything works fine; no kernel flags needed over here.... Pentium d 925 + i945G

Hi Blackchungo

I'm using 10.4.11 Kernel hacked. Intel/AMD/SSE2/SSE3/DSMOS/PC_EFIRequired from irc.os86.hu (I'm using too all stock kexts).

In terminal:

Dual-Core:~ root# uname -a

Darwin Dual-Core.local 8.11.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Also tried other kernels from irc.os86.hu, the kernel from TubGirl 10.4.10 DVD, the kernel from TuH 10.4.10, and other older kernels (no PC_EFI campat.) even Apple's (I know they won't work with Pentium D), tried almost every kernel.

Could you give the link to the kernel that is working fine with you? :( . And maybe this kernel can solve also the need to use -legacy with my mobo. My Mail OcciJano arrob g mail

Thanks a lot.

Please excuse me for my bad and little English.

I have solved the continuos restart, without the need to add -f kernel flag, when using PC_EFI v8.

Editing apple.com.Boot.plist

In terminal type sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Type your password.

In Leopard reduce the contents of the dict section to this:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

With Tiger is almost the same, but you need to add -legacy

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

Some o the rest of the lines that I eliminated caused my Hackintosh to reboot continously, now I don't need to use the -f kernel flag anymore.

I ignore how secure is to add the old <key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1280x1024x32</string> in Leopard, it may cause conflicts :( ?. I did it cos' I don't know nothing about the new gfx_strings.

:D At least is solved with my mobo.

Edited 8/Dec/2007

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Intel D945GCZ board and when I tried to install using PC_EFI and GUID, it just never booted at all, saying that a boot device cannot be found. If the install DVD is left in the drive, then it says that the com.boot.Apple.plist is not found.

Do you know what the problem could be?

Just wanted to quickly share my own experience with getting Leo going on the Pentium D. My system is a Dell Optiplex which has an Intel Pentium D 2.8 CPU and an Intel 945 chipset. I installed Leopard 10.5.0 from ToH RC2 disk, replaced the audio and networking kexts to get support for the Dell's hardware and then later installed EFI v5.2 and 10.5.1. I am now running 10.5.1 with the 9.1.0 kernel, without the need for -f or -legacy boot switches. This machine works almost perfectly on this setup.

However having said all that, Im not entirely sure EFI is working.. I dont see the boot messages stating EFI and I had problems when attempting to use stock AppleACPIPlatform and AppleSMBIOS kexts, so I had to go back to the ones supplied with the ToH disk. Im also using ToH's latest 9.1.0 hacked kernel (obviously because of my Pentium D). But the system is working perfectly, so Im not going to mess with EFI further. Everything works, including the usual suspects such as iMovie 08, Photoshop etc. Even 64-bit apps work well (like Leopard's Chess app for example).

If anyone needs any help setting up Leo on similar hardware, I'd be glad to help if I can.