pentium d and efi_patch?

khaled_acmilan

33 posts in this topic

hi all,

is there anyone can confirm pentium d works with efi patch? and what about pentium d on mac os leopard (dual core or one core works)?.

so my motherboard is msi 945g platinum and i can't upgrade my cpu to c2d proccessor and i have to upgrade my cpu to pentium d but i need confirm that it will work nicely with leopard and efi patch.

thanks.

Hi khaled_acmilan

I've installed the EFI patch v4 it's working (v5, v6, v7, v8 didn't work without -f in Kernel Flags). Can't use Apple Kernel, I'm using instead the mach_kernel.10411.hacked, I've updated my 10.4.10 ToH partition to 10.4.11 using the Apple Combo Update. I like the EFI thing, even If I've to use the patched kernel.

Also ToH Leopard is working great (using a ToH patched kernel), but i prefer to stay with 10.4.11 cos GMA950 in leopard have video issues, but it works, I'll wait a solution for the GMA950 (Solved).

Edited 6/Dec/2007

I try with EFI_v5 but don't work for me

Pentium D 930 3Ghz

ECS 945G-M

Realtek 8110

Ati Radeon X1600 pro

I had a blinking cursor when applied the EFI_v5.1, I solved by using the instal DVD, don't reinstall just use DiskUtility, selected the partition and used the Repair Disk button, then closed disk utility, quit the installer and let it reboot.

Then pressed F8, at the Darwin bootloader used -legacy -f in my case. Then edited com.apple.Boot.plist to add the -f flag in Kernel Flags.

That's what I did, Maybe it can help you.

Edited 5/Dec/2007

If I use EFI_v4 then there're no need for the -f Kernel Flag, in v5, v7, v8, I need to add that flag (-f) or I get a continuos rebooting :) .

I think it works for me.

When boot it show some EFI something, how to make sure? Using Geekbench?

Thanks OcciJano (below), I think mine is working on EFI

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	Mac Pro
 Processor Speed:	2.8 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	2
 L2 Cache:	2 MB
 Memory:	1 GB
 Bus Speed:	800 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	Hack.int.0sh

I think it works for me.

When it starts to boot, you will hardly notice:

Loading Darwin/x86

EFI enhanced bootloader built: ToH

Using SMBIOS table found at 0x000fe110

Using ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000fe120

Starting Darwin/86

And when you have booted you can use System Profiler

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:
Mac

Machine Model:

CPU Type: Intel®
Pentium® D CPU

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 3.4 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL EST CID CX16 TPR

Memory: 2 GB

Something like that.

Hola Proteo:

First, uncompress the "pc_efi_vX" (X is the version of pc_efi), move the "pc_efi_vX" folder to the root directory (simply drag it over the icon of your hard disk).

Write in paper the instructions, cause' you will need them later.

If the name of your OSX partition contains spaces I suggest to change it to something short and simple.

Then restart your computer using your Installation DVD, hit the first button I think it's "Continue" then look up in the menus for Terminal:

Once in Terminal type diskutil list, you'll get something like this...

/dev/disk2

#: type name size identifier

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *232.9 GB disk2

1: Apple_HFS ToH 10.0 GB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS TubGirl 25.0 GB disk2s2

3: Apple_HFS JaS 25.0 GB disk2s3

4: Apple_HFS Temporal 80.0 GB disk2s5

5: Apple_HFS Programas 80.0 GB disk2s6

6: Apple_HFS OtrasCosas 12.9 GB disk2s7

find the name of your partition and write down the identifier. In this example I'm using disk2s1 for "ToH".

Unmount that partition typing diskutil unmount disk2s1 change disk2s1 to the identifier of your OSX partition.

Once unmounted, go to the "pc_efi_vX" directory, just type cd /volumes/ToH/pc_efi_vX change ToH with the name of your OSX partition.

Now, type startupfiletool /dev/rdisk2s1 boot_vX change rdisk2s1 to the identifier of your OSX partition. You will see something like this:

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 812

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 25984

Now you need to fix your partition, type diskutil repairVolume disk2s1 change disk2s1 to the identifier of your OSX partition, you'll get something like this:

Started verify/repair on volume disk2s1 ToH

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

Checking volume bitmap.

Volume Bit Map needs minor repair

Checking volume information.

Invalid volume free block count

(It should be 2189988 instead of 2189956)

Repairing volume.

Rechecking volume.

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

The volume ToH was repaired successfully.

Quit terminal.

Close the installer window (restart).

At startup press F8 to get into Darwin Bootloader, then you need to use -f. Maybe you have to use -legacy also. I need it in my case.

And... cross fingers.

If you're using PC_Efi v5 or higher, you have to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist to add the -f to the Kernel Flags. Open terminal, type sudo -s type your password, then type pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

you will end up with something like this

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f -legacy</string>

</dict>

Saludos Paisano! :)

P.D.

Can you boot with vanilla kernel?
no, for Pentium D with pc_efi you can't use Apple Kernel,

Can you use vanilla
kexts?
, yes, but don't try to change too many or you will loose some edits that make your PC hardware to work in MacOS X, just keep a back-up if you're experimenting!

Edited 6/Dec/2007

Did you have trouble with "About This Mac" crash? Mine is keep crashing. Could you give me advise to solve it? Thanks.

If you use efi_pc bootloader with Leopard, install applesmbios.kext included in EFI

Don't forget to:

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/applesmbios.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/applesmbios.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairPermissions /

P.D. no I never had that issue with any of my installations, so I don't have any experience with that, but, just trying to help you.

Edited 5/Dec/2007

In bios make sure to turn off CPUID, turn on HPET, and turn on XD Technology.

If I use EFI_v4 then there're no need for the -f Kernel Flag in com.apple.Boot.plist, in v5, v7, v8, I need to add that flag (-f) or I get a continuos rebooting :) .

I think it works for me.

Thanks OcciJano (below), I think mine is working on EFI

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
  Model Identifier:	Mac Pro
  Processor Speed:	2.8 GHz
  Number Of Processors:	1
  Total Number Of Cores:	2
  L2 Cache:	2 MB
  Memory:	1 GB
  Bus Speed:	800 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:	Hack.int.0sh

Hey, :wacko: your Hardware Overview is more complete than mine!, maybe your hardware is closer to a Real Mac than mine! :P

OcciJano, one more question :P I see from your sig that you are on Tiger as I am. I tried your method posted above, but it didn't work (the machine restarts as soon as it loads a few kexts) I think the problem might be in the versions of AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext.

In the pc_efi_v50 readme it clearly states that even when you may need to use a patched kernel, you can use most stock kexts. Shall I use AppleSMBIOS.kext included in pc_efi_v5.zip? It is not intended for Leopard only? At this moment I have kept these files from my previous 10.4.10 install, but I'm currently running 10.4.11

mach_kernel

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

The rest are untouched from 10.4.11 combo update. I'd really appreciate if you can help me to figure out the needed versions of these kexts:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

I'm not planning to use vanilla kernel, but use the one hacked by np's 10.4.11, or if you can tell me where can I find that ToH/Netkas kernel, it would be great!

Gracias de nuevo hermano!

OcciJano, one more question :D I see from your sig that you are on Tiger as I am. I tried your method posted above, but it didn't work (the machine restarts as soon as it loads a few kexts) I think the problem might be in the versions of AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext.

In the pc_efi_v50 readme it clearly states that even when you may need to use a patched kernel, you can use most stock kexts. Shall I use AppleSMBIOS.kext included in pc_efi_v5.zip? It is not intended for Leopard only? At this moment I have kept these files from my previous 10.4.10 install, but I'm currently running 10.4.11

mach_kernel

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

The rest are untouched from 10.4.11 combo update. I'd really appreciate if you can help me to figure out the needed versions of these kexts:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

I'm not planning to use vanilla kernel, but use the one hacked by np's 10.4.11, or if you can tell me where can I find that ToH/Netkas kernel, it would be great!

Gracias de nuevo hermano!

Hola Proteo bajalo de aquí http://tinyurl.com/2jc3rq es la versión para PC_EFI. Estás en lo correcto, el AppleSMBIOS.kext incluido en el pc_efi_v51.zip es para Leopard.

Estoy teniendo serios problemas con el EFI 5.1. En éste CPU tengo varias particiones con MacOS, intenté volver a instalar con el DVD osx86hu_installdvd-10.4.10-test5 para reprodicir el cómo solucionar los pasos de intalación, cosa que ya había hecho y quedo de maravilla cuando tenía el EFI versión 4.Pero, ahora no queda bien, he hecho 3 intentos todos con problemas.

Me preocupa un poco, he intentado regresar al EFI versión 4 y no lo logro. Algo que me poreocupa es que cada vez que corro el startupfiletool para instalar el boot, hay que reparar ésa partición.

Espero pronto encontrar solución para todo ésto. En cuanto a que tu máquina se reinicia tan pronto como carga algunos kexts, logré salir de eso gracias a las otras particiones con sistema. Intenta oprimiendo F8, escoge otra partición de sistema, "si la tienes" y trata regresando al dsmos.kext y AppleSMBIOS.kext previos.

Hoy me desvelé grueso, mañana tengo un compromiso al mediodía pero en la tarde estoy de vuelta.

Ojalá que para entonces exista una nueva versión del PC_EFI.

Saludos.

Hello Guys:-

thanks for your reply and i will try efi patch on my machine (p4 :blink: ).

today.leopard will be prepared to installing it but i don't know how it will work (Toh RC2).

and i will come back after trying this patch to tell you what about pentium 4 exactly.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, solved (almost everything) to use v8 in MBR and GUID.

To start up v8 with ToH Leopard added -f in the kernel flags.

To start up v8 with 10.4.11 -f and -legacy in the kernel flags.

pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f -legacy</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@75</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

If anybody knows, how to get it to work without the -f, PLEASE, PLEASE, share your HOW TO!!!

Saludos