Cheapest no patch motherboard & CPU for my mom's Xmas gift

bbbc

9 posts in this topic

I have searched the forums quite a bit. It seems the majority of folks build machines that cost a shy under $1000 USD and also want to use them for games. In addition, most of the posts also include a graphics card too.

As I stated before, I am looking a very basic solution. So, why respond at all with the search the forums bit?

Let me just react as this is one of my pet annoyances... there is NO SUCH THING as a "no patch" hardware setup or install, other than a real mac.

Even if you are using pc-efi (which itself is a patch to the bootloader) you need to "patch" with at least 2 kexts to make it work.

sorry to rant.

Something with a 945 chipset would be the most compatible. You'd have to check a few patches during the install, but hey, everything works (Check the HCL for more specific 945 board recommendations).

That said, my personal recommendation for a Mac for mom would be a lightly used real Mac; PPC or Intel. Everything will work, everything will be stable, and she can run updates without bricking her system.

GA-945GCMX-S2 mobo is perfect for Leopard. I am using vanilla install but it took me a lot of work because I didn't know what I was doing. Only audio patch needed.

If you want it to be really painless, download the ToH release with this mobo and it will work really well.

Also, get the cheapest 945 possible, i have a core 2 duo